FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Top-Six

Pele_Is_God

There is a huge difference in being confident and having totally unrealistic expectations. For me, you guys are very firmly in the latter camp and setting the season up for disappointment.

If we finish anywhere from 11 up and reach the QFs of the cups, I will be delighted and view it as a fantastic first season back to build on. Of course I'm hoping for more but I don't expect it and won't be over critical if the guys don't make it.

• Agree 2

There is a huge difference in being confident and having totally unrealistic expectations. For me, you guys are very firmly in the latter camp and setting the season up for disappointment.

If we finish anywhere from 11 up and reach the QFs of the cups, I will be delighted and view it as a fantastic first season back to build on. Of course I'm hoping for more but I don't expect it and won't be over critical if the guys don't make it.

I'd agree with that, we have had a good pre-season but lets not count our chickens

I forgot the Tuffey factor.

I'm making this prediction on basis that many of the teams which finished in the bottom half last season would struggle a little in the first division.

Which SPL teams are better than us? Celtic are in turmoil (at least until they can get shot of Lennon), Rangers are still fairly strong, Motherwell will be buoyed by their European exploits. Hibs are poor - no doubt Yogi will be gone before too long. Killie are bankrupt, Aberdeen = lol, St Midden - pretty fecked after big cutbacks, Hearts, still will pose us problems - as will United. Hamilton have lost their wonderkids - Imrie is now their star man! St Johnstone obviously won't have the bounce effect this season. On paper there are 5 teams which are stronger than ICT but I can see a good season ahead - especially if we can win on the 14th and get a draw (or win) away to United.

I forgot the Tuffey factor.

I'm making this prediction on basis that many of the teams which finished in the bottom half last season would struggle a little in the first division.

Which SPL teams are better than us? Celtic are in turmoil (at least until they can get shot of Lennon), Rangers are still fairly strong, Motherwell will be buoyed by their European exploits. Hibs are poor - no doubt Yogi will be gone before too long. Killie are bankrupt, Aberdeen = lol, St Midden - pretty fecked after big cutbacks, Hearts, still will pose us problems - as will United. Hamilton have lost their wonderkids - Imrie is now their star man! St Johnstone obviously won't have the bounce effect this season. On paper there are 5 teams which are stronger than ICT but I can see a good season ahead - especially if we can win on the 14th and get a draw (or win) away to United.

On paper we were relegated from the same division apart from Falkirk.. on paper we are the 12th worst/best team in the league. Any position we reach higher than that come May is an over-achievment.

I have high hopes for this year but your having a laff if you think there are only 5 teams stronger than us.

I'd agree with that, we have had a good pre-season but lets not count our chickens

At this early stage the only benchmark we have to compare ourselves against other teams is this:

ICT 0-0 Valladolid

Killie 0-0 Valladolid

St J 1-0 Valladolid

Can't read too much into it at all, but it certainly doesn't provide me with any grounds for optimism of a top 6 place for us.

At this early stage the only benchmark we have to compare ourselves against other teams is this:

ICT 0-0 Valladolid

Killie 0-0 Valladolid

St J 1-0 Valladolid

Can't read too much into it at all, but it certainly doesn't provide me with any grounds for optimism of a top 6 place for us.

Your totally right, the Valladolid games are the only benchmark for comparison but given that it is a pre-season match it doesnt make a very fair basis to gauge how we shall do this season. We are still strying out different players in different positions and were missing two of our most influential players.

I honestly dont think we can even hazard to predict what position we shall finish until we have played a few games. It shall be interesting to see how our 4-2-3-1 formation works and whether our younger/less experienced players are cut out for the SPL. Even once we get a few games under our belts it'll be tough to predict how we'll do. Last season we all saw how easy things can change in football, we were so far behind in the league and managed to turn things around.

I think it's overly optimistic to look at getting into the top six this season. Not all players who did a job in the First will be able to maintain that form in the SPL, as we saw last time we got promoted. The most important thing to our success is if Adam Rooney continues his form - I think he will score more goals than he did in 2008/09 but we can't rely on him for 20+ goals. We need guys like FOran, Hayes etc to chip in as well and that might be easier said than done.

We also shouldn't underestimate some of the other bottom six teams - Accies had a great season last time out as did St Johnstone. Personally, I will be happy if we stay up and are clear from relegation, in the manner of our first three seasons in the SPL last time out.

• Agree 1