FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Edinburgh Capitals offer to SPL Football Fans

Ivy League

Edinburgh Capitals offer to SPL Football Fans

3rd December 2010

Edinburgh Capitals are offering a 50% discount to season tickets holders of all SPL teams this weekend. The season ticket holders need to provide proof of their identification and show their season ticket to qualify for the discount.

The Capitals have two home games this weekend against the Belfast Giants with both face offs scheduled for 6pm on Saturday and Sunday.

A Capitals spokesman said, "We would like to encourage as many sports fans to come to the games this weekend and experience the atmosphere of a Capitals v Giants double header. Despite the weather the Giants fans are travelling in numbers and the weekend is always a great spectacle of hockey and a great party for the fans."

"Safety comes first when deciding to travel and we encourage all fans to prepare and look at all options when deciding to come to the games. Local transport, taxi's and the healthy option of walking are all alternatives to perhaps digging the car out of the snow but we are confident it will be worth the effort."

There has been a big effort from Murrayfield Ice Rink staff to ensure the rink and car park is prepared for the weekend and the Capitals look forward to welcoming the Giants, their fans and ex Edinburgh Coach Doug Christiansen to Edinburgh for the games.

Edinburgh Capitals Ice hockey team play in the UK's Top league the Elite Ice Hockey League. Ice hockey is a fast and exciting game with goals hits and action for the full 60 minutes. Split into 3X 20 minute periods where the whistle stops the clock you can expect to spend approximately 90 to 120 minutes watching the hottest game on ice.

Tickets can be purchased on the night of the game at the box office or online at http://edinburgh-capitals.com/shop/catalog.php?category=Tickets

Is this American Football by any chance? What a waste of good rugby players!

The time outs (aka commercial breaks) would deprive me of the will to live if I ever went to a game! These guys seem to spend half their lives practising running backwards. :irritated:

And why do they play their game encased in crash helmets and a cage? Is this fear of the American litigation culture?

What they have done is to have hijacked Rugby and made it silly and boring.

I went to an American Football game at Telford Street once (I think it was the Ness Monsters which was not so much an American Football Club, more an attempt to sell stuff for Turnbull Sports). I found it absolutely wrist slittingly tedious. It's probably the only time in my life that I have had a burning desire to get the hell out of Telford Street!!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Is there any chance this might be called off because of a frozen pitch? tongueincheek.gif

I really couldn't care less. Why do these American type sports always have teams which have a double barrelled name? The first tends to be the place they come from and the second is usually some kind of silly vaguely "aggressive" sounding word like Tigers, Blitz, Pirates etc etc. That actually makes "Capitals" sound relatively sensible, if somewhat cheesy.

Do they have a "Talahassee Taliban" by any chance? :tongueincheek:

Roll on the "world series"... which usually just involves the Yanks.

Is there any chance this might be called off because of a frozen pitch? tongueincheek.gif

I really couldn't care less. Why do these American type sports always have teams which have a double barrelled name? The first tends to be the place they come from and the second is usually some kind of silly vaguely "aggressive" sounding word like Tigers, Blitz, Pirates etc etc. That actually makes "Capitals" sound relatively sensible, if somewhat cheesy.

You haven't seen cheesy untill you've seen this video... this will make your blood boil Charlie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utsHE5xWges

You haven't seen cheesy untill you've seen this video... this will make your blood boil Charlie!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=utsHE5xWges

Sadly, I've seen that video before. It encompasses everything that's fake about the whole American Football thing.

Ice hockey see's a way of getting more audiences by targetting footie fans with nothing to do. Very commendable and sensible business accumen.

Charles, as a man of such knowledge as yourself I'd have thought you'd have known that ice hockey is not an American sport. The game has its roots in Nova Scotia and, rumour has it, it began with Irish and Scots immigrants playing a cross between shinty and hurling on the frozen lakes of that land in the early 1800's. From there it spread through Canada and then into America.

• Agree 1

Not much into Ice Hockey but fair play to them for trying to cross-market !!!

Charles, the Americans tend to hate hockey as much as you hate American style sports ..... or they at least ignore it in many cities !!!

Ice Hockey is very much down the list of American favourite sports when they have NFL, NBA, and MLB to cheer for first. However it is Canada's unofficial national sport (officially Lacrosse is the national sport) and the roots of the game, as well as the "big" teams in terms of support if not necessarily championships tend to be north of the border. The Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Senators, Flames, Oilers, Canucks ... all based up here.

Ice hockey see's a way of getting more audiences by targetting footie fans with nothing to do. Very commendable and sensible business accumen.

Charles, as a man of such knowledge as yourself I'd have thought you'd have known that ice hockey is not an American sport. The game has its roots in Nova Scotia and, rumour has it, it began with Irish and Scots immigrants playing a cross between shinty and hurling on the frozen lakes of that land in the early 1800's. From there it spread through Canada and then into America.

Alex, I am perfectly aware of the Canadian origins of Ice Hockey. But, having clocked the crash helmet logo and the name Ivy League on the OP and not having read the OP carefully enough to spot the term "face off", I thought it was about American Football.

I would watch Ice Hockey before American Football any day, and did attend a match at Aviemore once. I would have to say, though, that it was a tad cold in the ice rink for a game which did tend to go on somewhat with interminable time outs, but it was generally OK.

And indeed Captial Caley's American football song is indeed nauseous... so much so that it makes a lot of England football songs sound like works of art.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Why is it "commendable and sensible" to encourage people to travel to an ice hockey game, but ridiculous to put on a football match and have people travel to that?

I used to love going to the ice hockey,great entertainment and well worth a look if you've never been to a live game.Sunday was always Ice hockey night and some great matches with Dundee rockets v Fife flyers and Murryfield racers,even went as far as Streatham for national finals which the Rockets won circa 1980. Skill levels were no that high but some high octane stuff and great scraps! Did Sneck no have a team playing out of Aviemore for a while?