FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

January Transfer Window

Guest Mahonio

We dont need another signing on contrat just now, we need to finish the season then tack stock of where we end up and what league etc. A loan player or 2 would be good especially a striker but with the players we have and our budget I dont expect much transfer activity in Jan. Also signings in Jan are always over priced and a sign of desperation - plus how many actually integrate and hit the ground running? Personally I'd like to see how far the squad can progress now all the players are looking like they will gel and then in the summer bring in a few faces to improve depth & quality.

Guest Mahonio

I see David Weir is threatening to leave Rangers in January if he doesn't start getting game time at Ibrox so if he does leave, is it possible that we could sign him in Jan on a short term contract or am i way off the mark here, please tell me if you think i am going to far here?

I see David Weir is threatening to leave Rangers in January if he doesn't start getting game time at Ibrox so if he does leave, is it possible that we could sign him in Jan on a short term contract or am i way off the mark here, please tell me if you think i am going to far here?

Would imagine his wages would be a little steep for us and I don't reckon he'd come up here anyways to quite possibly finish his playing career. In theory though good defender despite his age and I'd have no prob if he came in to shore up our leaky defence for the second half of the season.

I can only see us either extending loan signings or replacing loans with what we already have.

On the plus side January is often a very good time to get loanees in as most players by then know if they are "in the picture" at their current clubs thus higher calibre players more willing to go out for a game and clubs more willing to get good young players some game time when they realise the player isn't getting as much time as they thought they would get (both from the club and players point of view)

The defence needs sorting out. That much is certain. We've had a fairly miserly defence in terms of not letting in many per game in more recent years but this seaon we seem to have become rather generous. I'm not sure if funding is there to bring anyone in even at the same amount of players we have. In other words it might be 2 out and only one in.

Andy Shinnie and tade have both hit the back of the net fairly regularly of late so perhaps they are forming what could be a promising partnership up front.

Priority though has to be, get squad fit and off the foot of the table by the turn of the year. Then see where we are.

No chance.

I see that Hearts are trying to get rid of quite a few players. Now, Driver, Templeton and Zaliukas would never come here and would be far too expensive anyway. There's two others though - would Ian Black come back? I seem to recollect he and Butcher were big friends the last time he was here. Unlikely yes, but not impossible. The other one they're getting rid of is John Sutton. Would he come? I do seem to recollect Christie trying to sign him few years ago. Perhaps he would be a little costly (unless he came in on loan), but he is the Rooney-esque player that ICT are missing.

I see that Hearts are trying to get rid of quite a few players. Now, Driver, Templeton and Zaliukas would never come here and would be far too expensive anyway. There's two others though - would Ian Black come back? I seem to recollect he and Butcher were big friends the last time he was here. Unlikely yes, but not impossible. The other one they're getting rid of is John Sutton. Would he come? I do seem to recollect Christie trying to sign him few years ago. Perhaps he would be a little costly (unless he came in on loan), but he is the Rooney-esque player that ICT are missing.

No chance .

• Disagree 1

I'd imagine 'Well, Killie and a few others might be interested in a Sutton free. If Tokely and Hogg are both fit, they would play. Weir wouldn't want to sit on the bench and I don't see ICT paying Hogg and Ross to not play either. We've two first picks, a youngster in Golobart and two fill-ins in Proctor and Jones (if he gets back). We couldn't afford another must play player.

Personally, I think our squad is good enough - as long as there are no more injuries. If, come January we are full strength then I think we will be starting to climb the table. No need to pay extra expenses if we have the squad available. If we have lots of injuries again and still at the bottom / close to the bottom, then maybe look at short term deals. However, I think the priority would be trying to extend Davis loan deal for the whole season.

Edited by CapitalCaley
  • Agree 1

Personally, I think our squad is good enough - as long as there are no more injuries. If, come January we are full strength then I think we will be starting to climb the table. No need to pay extra expenses if we have the squad available. If we have lots of injuries again and still at the bottom / close to the bottom, then maybe look at short term deals. However, I think the priority would be trying to extend Davis loan deal for the whole season.

Totally agree - just as long as we dont push the recovering players in to action before they are ready - as we have been culpable of doing fer years.

Guest Mahonio

Supposedly, us and a few other SPL teams are interested in taking Everton's, German Youth International defender Shkodran Mustafi on loan until the end of the season.

I found this rumour about a quarter of a page down here: http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/index.html. Now, this may be a load of crap but i thought i would let you guys know.

I have never heard of this geezer before but he is young so would it be worth us signing another youthful defender?

Edited by Mahonio