FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Our oldest rivalry

bauhaus

As I suspected all along - Dougal is in the same mould as Mr Bannerman - a Tink at heart - O2B.

The only Tinkerville game that I would ever go to that does not involve ICT will be the game near the close of the 2012 - 2013 season that involves the Tinks being relegated.

Oh the irony you are accusing me of being a county supporter yet you are the tattoo ridden,tricolour flying rebel singing plastic paddy who frequented the jungle more than the howden end but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

I admit I do admire County and what they have achieved so far I think I'm probably even jealous but accusing me to be in the same mould as Bannerman is way below the belt

ICT have stagnated, a top six should have been achieved by now, Terry and Mo have taken us as far as they can, we need fresh ideas and the club taken to the next level

I take CaleyD's point regarding the merger/murder and I won't bring it up again unless provoked but IMO it's up there with the darkest hours in Snecks history along with the massacre at culloden or when the hebriddean bar closed it's doors

One parting shot the Ender knows it and I know it the vast majority of howdenenders never embraced the new club from day one and even till this day they and their families/friends take nothing to do with ICT

Edit : well said Buckett

dougal

Edited by dougal

Dougal Said "the vast majority of howdenenders never embraced the new club from day one and even till this day they and their families/friends take nothing to do with ICT"

Well.....i used to go to Caley games in the HL with about 5 or 6 others and all of them went on to follow ICT. Im sure we are not an isolated case. And i can tell you....i have stumbled across many ex Caley fans faces in the crowd at ICT games. So i dont think that point holds much water. Also....whether you like it or not, by merging, ICT are getting an average attendances multiplied by 7 or 8 times that what Caley were getting. And this is coming from a man who was Caley thro and thro...way more so than ICT

• Agree 1

Regardless if the club is.was IC or IT do you honestly believe a non-mergered club would have done any better than ICT have?

I don't see why not.

It wouldn't have taken long for people in Inverness to see the benefit of the town having a senior football team. Money that was directed at ICT could just as well have been directed at any Inverness team.

And without the merger baggage, whichever Inverness team decided to go it alone, could have hit the ground running and perhaps made even quicker progress than ICT.

But it's all academic now, although it's always interesting to imagine what might have happened. And I do get a bit tired of reading that "it couldn't have happened without the merger."

Of course it could - look at Ross County!

I agree with this. I have yet to see anyone provide any evidence that had Caley gone it alone in the league that they would have been any less sucsessful or as attractive a proposition. People come out with this community and business backing reluctance pish. Caley were the most popular and high profile Highland league team by some way and i believe the people and business community would have backed Caley in the SFL etc to an equal, possibly increased extent.

Let me tell you....David Sutherland is a savy businessman, he would have been unable to resist getting involved in a lone Caley bid, for the betterment of his business.

Had Both Caley and Thistle tried to go it alone, i think both would have found it difficualt to get the level of backing ICT have, But if only one had gone it alone, i think it would have received the same level of suppert as the merged team has

Edited by SMEE

I admit I do admire County and what they have achieved so far I think I'm probably even jealous

There are certain things they have been good at, and I don't just mean attracting journeymen has-beens on inflated wages. Some people have always felt they have been better than us at some off the field activities.

However, on the pitch is where it matters and after 18 seasons we have finished above them 16 times. I wouldn't want to swap that record.

• Agree 5

It's a right damn shame that this forum and the club at times, seemed to be getting ripped apart by constant bickering over Thistle, Caledonian or County.

What do we have to be jealous of County over, one single cup final? They got as much media attention for that as we did our semi-finals back in the day. The media attention they are getting as they take the step up to play with the "big boys"? The same we did, twice, for differing reasons? It's a tad pathetic that's what some folk seem to be getting their knickers in a twist over, then carrying it over to spoil the forum, that County are only now getting a moment or two in the limelight, that we too got many moons before them?

Looking forward to them coming up and to be honest it'll give us a little something to look forward to in matches to come. 3 or 4 games with a little extra heat and well, though admitingly see them crash straight back down is my superior reasoning for wanting them up, it'll give us something to fight for other than aiming for 7th post-split.

Some users on here need to sort themselves out.. there's arguing, then there's just being a whining c*nt that poisons the forums. No wonder folk hate us as fans, when we hate each other.

• Agree 10

We'll always be the first to have got into the SPL, they'll be forever in our shadow!

As for the merger stuff - it's nearly 20 years ago, get over it... The biggest effect on attendances - everywhere, not just Inverness - is that now the floating football fan, who might have watched his local team 4/5 times a season, spends that money on Sky/ESPN etc. rather than going to the odd game. Who really wants to spend £20+ to sit in a cold stadium in January to watch mid-level football that you aren't that interested in when you can watch the Premiership/La Liga/etc. at home or in the pub? Only those really dedicated are going to! Until live football makes itself more attractive (pricing, summer football, etc. etc.) the downward spiral of attendances will continue, simple. Anyone who thinks the merger has anything to do with attendances nowadays needs to get out more... :shrug:

County coming up is great for us and great for the Highlands and I hope they stay up, as long as we continue to finish above them :wink: . Imagine if the SPL engage the brain and we get a double header home and away over Christmas and New Year...?

• Agree 4

It's a right damn shame that this forum and the club at times, seemed to be getting ripped apart by constant bickering over Thistle, Caledonian or County.

What do we have to be jealous of County over, one single cup final? They got as much media attention for that as we did our semi-finals back in the day. The media attention they are getting as they take the step up to play with the "big boys"? The same we did, twice, for differing reasons? It's a tad pathetic that's what some folk seem to be getting their knickers in a twist over, then carrying it over to spoil the forum, that County are only now getting a moment or two in the limelight, that we too got many moons before them?

Looking forward to them coming up and to be honest it'll give us a little something to look forward to in matches to come. 3 or 4 games with a little extra heat and well, though admitingly see them crash straight back down is my superior reasoning for wanting them up, it'll give us something to fight for other than aiming for 7th post-split.

Some users on here need to sort themselves out.. there's arguing, then there's just being a whining c*nt that poisons the forums. No wonder folk hate us as fans, when we hate each other.

Good post. The whining from some posters on here is a joke.

• Agree 2

Well the tinks are 55 mins away from being promoted tonight.

I can see a few similarities, we won the title without kicking a ball due to Dundee losing mid week, we then played AYR straight after too, lets see them try and score 7 goals on Wednesday.

As I suspected all along - Dougal is in the same mould as Mr Bannerman - a Tink at heart - O2B.

The only Tinkerville game that I would ever go to that does not involve ICT will be the game near the close of the 2012 - 2013 season that involves the Tinks being relegated.

Oh the irony you are accusing me of being a county supporter yet you are the tattoo ridden,tricolour flying rebel singing plastic paddy who frequented the jungle more than the howden end but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

I admit I do admire County and what they have achieved so far I think I'm probably even jealous but accusing me to be in the same mould as Bannerman is way below the belt

ICT have stagnated, a top six should have been achieved by now, Terry and Mo have taken us as far as they can, we need fresh ideas and the club taken to the next level

I take CaleyD's point regarding the merger/murder and I won't bring it up again unless provoked but IMO it's up there with the darkest hours in Snecks history along with the massacre at culloden or when the hebriddean bar closed it's doors

One parting shot the Ender knows it and I know it the vast majority of howdenenders never embraced the new club from day one and even till this day they and their families/friends take nothing to do with ICT

Edit : well said Buckett

dougal

out of interest dougal.... what would you suggest as fresh ideas?

you say top six should have been achieved by now but what then... had we made top six the year we should have ( more points than 5th but seperated by the split) where would you like to have seen us go?

No matter what you think of the pegsellers you have to congratulate them on what is an amazing achievement

For a diddy non league outfit and that's what they were to reach the top flight really is a huge kick in the teeth to the pro merger roasters within our club who try to tell everyone that without a merger Caledonian Fc would not have achieved the same as ICT

Let's not forget they will be the first ever Highland league outfit to have reached the top tier in Scottish football, remember they also reached the Scottish cup final only two years ago and took 17,000 fans with them to Hampden

I do think one day we could possibly reach a major cup final in the coming years but I know we could not take as many fans, possibly 10,000 at a push but that would still be decent considering our average attendances since joining the SPL

The set up through in Dingwall with the Academy and pitches is really second to none and there can't be many clubs in Scotland that can boast of such facilities

The fact we train at an army barracks is still a major gripe for me and is totally unsuitable and not acceptable for a SPL club

Once they complete their stadium improvements over the summer this will only enhance what they already have in place

As far as i'm aware they were never given any grants or council hand outs like we were when we moved to our so called dream home at the dump which makes their set up all the more remarkable

County obviously have a board and chairman who really know what they are doing and prefer action to words

I personally can't wait for next season mainly due to the return of the highland derbies but I must add I'm also a tad scared that if we are not careful we will be left behind on and off the field

Dougal

You have to be congratulated Dougal! In a post relating to Ross County, you managed to last 47 words before using the phrase " Merger" in it

Your getting better dude!

:clapping:

Oh dear it looks as if I hit a nerve with Dougal. I hope it didnt spoil his night out at the Young Farmers Society in Cullicudden. There were quite a few Howdenenders who did the unthinkable and changed their allegiances to the Jail End. Look forward to singing the old Caley songs in Dungwall next season - merely as a form of tribute.

The Howden End will never die - The Howden End is in the sky - O2B - Long live and prosper Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Dougal must be the man with the biggest chip on a shoulder. Pre merger this pre merger that. None of it would have been relevant if Thistle had got in instead of Ferranti, as it happens they didnt, and who is to say if THAT merger didnt happen then County still got in with Gala!!!!

You cant change our history, so banging your head of the wall for 17 years aint done you any good. Put the hammer and violin down and either join us or take the caravan on offer over the bridge

• Agree 1

Dougal must be the man with the biggest chip on a shoulder. Pre merger this pre merger that. None of it would have been relevant if Thistle had got in instead of Ferranti, as it happens they didnt, and who is to say if THAT merger didnt happen then County still got in with Gala!!!!

You cant change our history, so banging your head of the wall for 17 years aint done you any good. Put the hammer and violin down and either join us or take the caravan on offer over the bridge

For those members here who support ICT now, for whatever reason, but are not Invernessians, have never seen Caley or Thistle playing.....or only ever seen them playing against the Highland League team they supported (and then they could cheerfully have consigned the whole of either Inverness team to the lower reaches of hell on matchdays), the regular "I wish we hadn't merged.......Caley or Thistle could have done it on their own.....and fantasising about what might have been" posts are getting even more wearing than the "we should never have released Grant Munro ones".

Acceptance of facts on the ground which cannot be changed is the sign of maturity. As my mother used to say.what can't be cured must be endured.

Edited by Oddquine
  • Agree 5

My problem is stagnation, the way I see it is there are certain people within the club and I include supporters in this who show little or no ambition

The point about stagnation is a fair one. However any club will stagnate in the joke of a league that is the SPL. Once you are in it, the finance dictates that you must stay there. I would like to see the '10' grow some gonads and invite the top 6 from div 1 to form a league with them, giving the twins of evil nowhere to play except against each other.

Whether we like it or not County are a far more forward and ambitious club and their achievements so far outweighs us,

Aah Dougal, you were doing so well, then you throw in this garbage.

Many people might justify one season getting beyond the last 16 of the Cup and reaching the final (and then not showing up), as outweighing all ICT's giantkilling (if I recall, 11 seasons outwith the SPL and 12 teams from a higher division beaten), and 2 semis plus 1 replay.

I can just about swallow that, but it's a bit like the County banging on about their big win at our place about ten years ago, as if it mattered amongst all the routine 3-0 hidings we dished out.

Then you're saying that 10 seasons to reach the SPL is poor (and then reach it again 6 years later), but then of course those record breakers from OTB did it in 18 so they must be getting something right.

Seasons in SPL - ICT 7 County 0 - FACT ***ICT PLAYING in TOP LEVEL FOR NEARLY 40% OF THE CLUB'S HISTORY***

Seasons in div 1 - ICT 6 County 11 - FACT

Seasons in div 2 - ICT 2 County 2 - FACT

Seasons in div 3 - ICT 3 County 5 - FACT

Why don't you come out the closet Dougal. You're not our old pal Buenos as it would be some achievement to make such a great show of hating the Rangers (sorry, 'Orcs').

If you truly are a Notts County diehard and relative newcomer to the fair city then somebody has been feeding you drink and indoctrinating you since I do not believe you have any first hand experience of the events of 1993-4 or the subsequent (Paterson-inspired) seasons.

Yours etc

The Mantis (formerly anti-merger and definitely not a happy clapper).

Edited by TheMantis
  • Agree 6

Why don't you come out the closet Dougal. You're not our old pal Buenos as it would be some achievement to make such a great show of hating the Rangers (sorry, 'Orcs').

If you truly are a Notts County diehard and relative newcomer to the fair city then somebody has been feeding you drink and indoctrinating you since I do not believe you have any first hand experience of the events of 1993-4 or the subsequent (Paterson-inspired) seasons.

I think he just did. For a newcomer to the city he seems to know a lot about IHE's habits pre 1994...

It's almost like a new issue of LSM reading the posts of Dougal/AlDoug.

It's almost like a new issue of LSM reading the posts of Dougal/AlDoug.
Ah... the memories.. LSM!!

I have to say that this "petrol station down the dump with Fiona Larg" didn't do too badly - however intent Dougal and his chums of equally limited ambition and imagination were on being "the most successful Highland League team in history."

(An interesting order of words there, I've always thought.... "the most successful Highland League team in history" does seem to imply rather more of a world conquering delusion than the more balanced alternative of "the most successful team in Highland League history.)

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Jesus wept Charles can you please give us all a rest with your views on the merger. I disagree with most of what you churn out on this issue but for the sake of everyone on here's sanity I choose not to go into print on this subject, unlike yourself.

How about you fast forward eighteen years and tell us what you know about Muirfield Mills. Nah, I didn't think so......

• Agree 1

(An interesting order of words there, I've always thought.... "the most successful Highland League team in history" does seem to imply rather more of a world conquering delusion than the more balanced alternative of "the most successful team in Highland League history.)

Ross County are neither. They are an SFL team and next season they will be an SPL team. If they and their various supporters on this forum aspire for them to be "the most successful Highland League team in history" or "the most successful team in Highland League history" then maybe they should abandon plans for improvement at their bog of a ground and apply to join the Highland League next season. I am sure they would be made most welcome.

Mr Mantis you are without doubt my favourite mod on here and I always take time reading your posts but you've deeply hurt me by insinuating I'm a Notts County fan, I'm a Forest man, Notts County are like Inverness Thistle a totally insignificant club

In fact I'd go as far as saying that's as big an insult as the Ender accusing me of being in the same mould as the local journo

You are correct regarding the Orcs though I've still got my dancing shoes ready for the day they hopefully liquidate

As for the Ross County accusations from others this does not bother me in the slightest, I've said before and I'll say it again I greatly admire what they have achieved considering they were bottom of the highland league in the mid eighties and facing bankruptcy

Whether we like it or not what they have achieved is remarkable considering they never had an INE or local council ploughing the money into them from the off

This season I'm going to start attending both grounds for my fix of football as I'm lead to believe only one highland team will be at home each Saturday, if that suddenly makes me a County diehard in some people's eyes so be it but I personally couldn't give a hoot, certain yokels on here might not like this scenario but there are lots of floating fans in this area who attend games at both grounds at the moment and this has always been the case since ICT came into fruition

However I'll still be in the main stand at the TCS stadium when the pegsellers come calling shouting my advice to Terry

Dougal

Edited by dougal

Dougal going by your past and present comments on here I hardly think that it will ever be classed as advice you will be shouting at Terry. You will be one of the fans that the players hate, jumping on their backs at the slightest mistake and slagging of just about all that the club represents.

Why not change the record, Thistle is history, Caley is history, but both to be proud of. Why not like the rest of us get behind the club for a change. otherwise why not take your great admiration of County and go support them wholeheartedly, the way you support them on here.

I know a few people who go to County every second weekend, but its because they are football fans. I hate Rangers, Celtic and Man Utd along with a few others, but it doesnt stop me watching them on the box, hoping they will lose each week.

I've said before and I'll say it again I greatly admire what they have achieved considering they were bottom of the highland league in the mid eighties and facing bankruptcy

Whether we like it or not what they have achieved is remarkable considering they never had an INE or local council ploughing the money into them from the off

I admire what they have done because, like ourselves, they have had a pretty quick rise to the top given our failry humble beginnings. However, while they may not have had similar assistance to us from INE or the local council it cannot be claimed that they have got as far as they have on the back of hard work alone alone. I would be very interested to see how much money County have thrown at wages and signing players over the last 10 years. They have got where they are through a combination of hard work and a benefactor with a wealth of resources to call upon when needed. Not many clubs would have the financial backing to remain a full time club if they were relegated to the second division!

Other first division managers have been very vocal (Pressley to name one) in claiming that County have far greater resources available to them than other first division clubs so while they must be congratulated on their success the background on how they have been able to achieve it should not be forgotten