FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

With all the talk recently of us having a reduced budget for playing staff next season it has got me thinking how Terry will set up the squad for next year

Will he get rid of our current high earners, will he fill the squad with young players from down south, will he use our own youth players (if they are good enough)

I then stumbled upon this article: http://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/Home/Jags-swept-away-in-a-tide-of-goals-7859843.htm and to be honest i didnt know anything about the player.

"Thistle grabbed a late consolation through Adam Macleod's impressive solo effort - the first goal the club has managed against Cove since coming into the Highland League."

"It was a great effort from Adam Macleod. He is only 18-years-old but he beat three players and finished it off really well. He is on loan to us from Inverness Caley Thistle and we are just building up his confidence because he has all the ability. I am happy for the wee fella because he has gone out there and proved his point."

I'm sure there are other young players on our books that are doing well or perhaps on loan to smaller clubs. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of our youth players will be able to give some info on whether we have any potential first team players near breaking into the first team squad?

Dont think he is out on loan, what i heard was that he was released by the club last summer and joined Strathspey after being on trial at a couple of teams.

In fairness to Butcher he has given some of the youngsters a run out in bounce games and he apparently holds some of these boys in high regard. It would be nice to see some of them this weekend against Hibs in a no pressure situation. It's not as if there is anything at stake or higher place money to be earned.

I've heard almost from the horses mouth, that there's a real level of laziness within the U19s, with many of the squad not being able to be bothered and leaving the other more dedicated players frustrated.

Almost the horses mouth??........... Would that be the horses erse?? ;-)

You will always have more willing workers and individuals who will listen and are keen to learn. Make no mistake, the coaching team will know who is in each category and who deserves a chance.

• Agree 2

Adam MacLeod was released after a season with the 19s, which was destroyed by a terrible injury, which has still bothered him for the first half of this season. Signed for Strathspey with the thought of getting fit again and putting himself in the shop window as it were. In Strathspeys wisdom, Adam was continually played in full back position on both sides, but he is an out and out striker. After two thirds of the season they realised he was better for them further forward, and started a few games, which they won, but took a few bad knocks against Forres two months ago, and has just got back to starting in the last 4 games or so. Will most likely be at a much better HL team next season, or even Elgin I would think.

Adam MacLeod was released after a season with the 19s, which was destroyed by a terrible injury, which has still bothered him for the first half of this season. Signed for Strathspey with the thought of getting fit again and putting himself in the shop window as it were. In Strathspeys wisdom, Adam was continually played in full back position on both sides, but he is an out and out striker. After two thirds of the season they realised he was better for them further forward, and started a few games, which they won, but took a few bad knocks against Forres two months ago, and has just got back to starting in the last 4 games or so. Will most likely be at a much better HL team next season, or even Elgin I would think.

Strathspey Thistle was probably the worst place for him to go but seemingly had attitude problem which has seen him spend most of the season on the bench. Doubt if he will end up at Elgin.

• Agree 1

He was on trial for Clach, coincedentially against Caley last season and they werent intrested in him, i heard the same thing about his attitude.

Guess we need to establish who is actually contracted to ICT before establishing wether or not they are good enough to be put in the first team.

Cant quote the actual statistics but how many youngsters from the academies of teams across the country actually progress to the first team squad. Crewe may be the exception. IMHO the "issue" is as much about the standard of the coaching and the "discipline" rather than the facilities and the talent of the individuals.

• Agree 1

Cant quote the actual statistics but how many youngsters from the academies of teams across the country actually progress to the first team squad. Crewe may be the exception. IMHO the "issue" is as much about the standard of the coaching and the "discipline" rather than the facilities and the talent of the individuals.

Totally agree with you IHE, but the standard of coaching is vitally important at the U13 stage up, not just the U19's where I think the club feels these youngsters should be the finished article - far from it. State of the Art facilities doesn't make a player, good quailty coaching, discipline and desire does. Personally I think the SPL youth programme is too widespread ie too many age groups which means too many bit part players who will never progress to the next level. The club could coach as many players as they see fit but I would have a go at having only 2 nationally competing groups, U15 & U18. The U15 group would be filled with QUALITY 13, 14 & u15 players and the U18's with 16,17 & u18's but the important factor would be having at least 4 well qualified coaches who are paid decent part-time wages to reflect their qualifications and experience. If you run 5 or 6 teams as we do, you just cannot get enough quality coaches. I could probably bore you with my opinion all night but this club either doesn't have or just doesn't invest enough into this area - it has always been the same, no matter what spin is put on it.

• Agree 2

In fairness to Butcher he has given some of the youngsters a run out in bounce games and he apparently holds some of these boys in high regard. It would be nice to see some of them this weekend against Hibs in a no pressure situation. It's not as if there is anything at stake or higher place money to be earned.

from what i can see a 3-0 win for hibs on saturday and we end up in 11th instead of 10th

Fer fecks sake - it is the last game of the season. What you do is play one of them, preferably a forward or a wide player from the start, put three others on the bench, judge how the game is going and if you can - blood all three, irrespective of fer how long.

SIMPLES - even Donview sussed it !!

• Agree 1

Fer fecks sake - it is the last game of the season. What you do is play one of them, preferably a forward or a wide player from the start, put three others on the bench, judge how the game is going and if you can - blood all three, irrespective of fer how long.

SIMPLES - even Donview sussed it !!

Does that mean you and I could do a better job than Terry and Mo?? they did'nt seem keen on the experiment :lol:

Two players, Calum Ferguson (from Inverness) and Jay Cheyne (from Aberdeen) have been signed on to the under 20s. They have come up through the youth system and I know that Calum has been at caley for 8 years. Although some players were released. I find it pretty ridiculous that only two were taken on but I congratulate the two and hope to see them lining up for the first team in a few years time.

Having watched and also played with some of the lads that have been chucked i have to say im really suprised at some of the players who have been released and i think the club are playing a dangerous game but letting so many go.

• Agree 2

Last season 7 or 8 got promoted from the youth system this season 2. It goes in cycles some years the youth will bring plenty of talent through other years Not so much. Nothing to be worried about just previous year were obviously better

Remember some of these boys still have a chance. Perhaps some have lost focus and this could be the kick up the arse they need to get back on track

Edited by lukemackay

I think it is a disgrace that Butcher and Sherear have releaced so many youth players. Fair enough they all couldnt take them all on but my best mate has been with caley for 8 or 9 years and was recomended by all the coaches as the one with the most potential and they releaced him anyway so that he can bring in English boys on these trial days. I dont understand what he is expecting of these trialists but what is the point if they are probably going to be offered a 1 year contract like he always does? My loyaltys are to my mate and all the coaches are helpping him find a new club but if he had no talant i doubt that 3 coaches would help him to get into a new club if he didnt. But delighted for Calum Ferguson, great to see at least one mate get in.

• Agree 1

Your feelings are understandable Donjo but what would you suggest. I'm assuming that if some youths are being let go then some will be staying. We still need enough to have an U-20 squad for next season. There will always be youths who dont make the grade for whatever reason but no club can keep people on for the sake of it. Players have to be paid but the money isnt there to pay all of them.