FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dundee or Dunfermline?

CELTIC1CALEY3

The rules are a bit grey and both teams seem to have a fair shout. I agree that Dunfermline were justifiably relegated. A simple solution would be a two legged or single game neutral venue pre season play off between Dundee and Dunfermline.

However, you could look at it and say who were closest to achieving their goal.

How many points were Dunfermline away from survival, How many points were Dundee away from promotion.

One off game would be a fair way of settling it, but on what terms do they sign their players, SPL or SFL wages!!!

However, you could look at it and say who were closest to achieving their goal.

How many points were Dunfermline away from survival, How many points were Dundee away from promotion.

One off game would be a fair way of settling it, but on what terms do they sign their players, SPL or SFL wages!!!

Why would the terms on which they signed players have to do with anything matter if the players were considering their own futures ( and I'm not even going to get into the fact that what difference should that make if they were doing the job they were paid to do.....as in trying to win games in which they play regardless of what those games are about.)

SPL

1999/2000 Aberdeen finished last in the SPL, league expands from 10 to 12, St Mirren and the Pars get promoted, Aberdeen did not automatically get relegated and the 3rd placed team in div 1 not get promoted.

2002/2003 Motherwell finished last, Div 1 winners Falkirks' ground did not meet the SPL entry requirements, Motherwell did not get automatically relegated and because Falkirk did not get promoted the slot was not made available to the next available club in the league.

2007/2008 Gretna finish last but also go into liquidation,although Gretna finished last, there was no automatic relegation, which would have been Kilmarnock.

If Gretna had gone into liquidation in 11th place, I believe there would not have been a SPL relegation that season either.

SFL

2008/2009 Div 1, 10th place Clyde get relegated, 9th place Airdrie Utd enter relegation playoffs and lose.

Div 2 1st place Raith Rovers get promoted and 2nd place Ayr get promoted due to winning the play offs, at the same time Livingston get demoted from the 1st Division to div 3 and Airdrie remain in div 1.

Unless the SPL have amended their rule book stating that there must be a relegation each season even if an SPL club goes bust and that would be foolish as if a few clubs went into receivership in 1 season then the plight of the SPL would be exacerbated with automatic relegation and playoffs.

In a court of law I would put my money on Dunfermline staying in the SPL but this dispute should be resolved as soon as possible to allow the successfull club to prepare for the SPL.

Has to be Dundee. Dunfermlines football last season was score then time waste for the rest of the game, boring is putting it nice. With Rangers going down having Dundee would give an extra derby and they have a bigger fan base, so.... yeah Dundee

Just because it will be another derby and they have a larger regular fan base, does not make it fair to promote Dundee. One thing mentioned to me yesterday by someone, Dundee the team who went into Administration twice, trying to buy success, replace another team who lost trying to buy success, whilst the one above board team ( Dunfermline ) miss out because they are perceived the smaller team.

To be fair to Dundee they have had their punishments and 'done their time', don't really think it's fair to keep holding it over them with regards to this decision.

• Agree 3

Just because it will be another derby and they have a larger regular fan base, does not make it fair to promote Dundee. One thing mentioned to me yesterday by someone, Dundee the team who went into Administration twice, trying to buy success, replace another team who lost trying to buy success, whilst the one above board team ( Dunfermline ) miss out because they are perceived the smaller team.

But Dundee managed to come out of administation both times - unlike The Rangers. As Fraz said, they've 'done their time'. Whether they used to be in administation or not should not even be considered. Falkirk, and Partick Thistle were in administration in recent years, and remember the 'Save the Staggies fund'! Maybe we should relegate County! :tongueincheek:

Dunfermline over budgeted for the SPL last season - and by that I mean they were over paying their players. They missed a payment run to their players and blamed Rangers (oldco) for non-payment of tickets. But they had just received equivalent money for the unscheduled Sky match with us! Therefore, you could argue the Pars have mis managed their accounts. We won't be able to promote anyone at this rate.

Bottom line - forget the accounts of these teams, Dundee should be next in line to take the place - if they still want it.

Edited by CapitalCaley