FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher to Barnsley? Terry stays put***

RossP

From the Telegraph article:

"Neither the manager nor Inverness’s director of football, Graeme Bennett, would return calls on Monday but chairman Kenny Cameron confirmed on their official website that Barnsley had been granted permission to speak to Butcher."

This is clearly a publication so well clued up about ICT that it thinks that Greame Bennett is still Director of Football!

Yorkshire Post says Terry is meeting Barnsley today.

"Barnsley managing director Don Rowing said: “‘I have spoken to Terry since speaking to the Inverness chairman and he has intimated his willingness to come to the meeting.

I think he was pleased with what he heard when he did speak to me.

But I think he needs to meet with my fellow directors and the owner to see if he likes what he sees and hears.

If he does, then I’m sure we can get moving."

Yorkshire Post says Terry is meeting Barnsley today.

"Barnsley managing director Don Rowing said: “‘I have spoken to Terry since speaking to the Inverness chairman and he has intimated his willingness to come to the meeting.

I think he was pleased with what he heard when he did speak to me.

But I think he needs to meet with my fellow directors and the owner to see if he likes what he sees and hears.

If he does, then I’m sure we can get moving."

I apologise if this has already been discussed on this thread but I have'nt had the time to read all comments.

Does anybody else worry that if Terry accepts move to Barnsley that he may try to take our out of contract 

players with him :((

He will certainly consider it, but who is really good enough for the Championship? I would say A Shinnie is most definitely worth a crack at that level. OTJ and Draper might do OK in the right roles.

If he's shopping on a shoestring he'd certainly get some bargains from ICT, but first and foremost he needs Championship quality if he is going to keep them up, or bounce back next year. He will have a wage budget that allows him to pay about 3 times what our guys get, so he can fish in a bigger pond than ours.

I don't think he'll be considering anything until he's spoken to them.  He'd be silly not to go and have a word, especially as he's down that way spending time with family anyway, because they might make him an offer he can't refuse....financially.

What I don't believe is that they have the resources to make the job lucrative enough, nor are they the "right" club to entice him away from ICT right now.

• Agree 1

I hope that he stays - as he deserves to be part of how this season ends up - irrespective of the outcome. He is evidently a  major cog in a finely tuned team improvement. I would also be surprised if he left from a personal perspective as I thought that he appeared to be very settled in the area and he could add to his income by increasing his media outings, which I doubt any of us would disagree with. My fear is that he may have his own vision of where ICT should be going and how to get there and others may disagree - again even if it was from a financial perspective. That would cheese off anybody and I could wholly understand why he would go in those circumstances. Again unfortunately TB has evidently shown his interest in moving and it is now up to Barnsley to sell themselves to TB rather than vice versa. And if that fails then he will be in the shop window for any Championship or League 1 jobs coming up in the future. I would prefer to lose him now rather than in 2 or 5 weeks time.

My other major concern is how this squad of players will react to his departure. He certainly appears to have bonded a "togetherness" and I would suspect that several are staying at the club because of an affinity to TB. Again I would not whollt lament the departure of Terry and Mo if I knew that the current squad was going to remain intact. But there again the writing must have been on the wall for the players when TB went in the fray for the Ipswich job - Lets face it he is offski - if not now in the near future.

He certainly has improved his CV at ICT and went a way to demonstrate that previous posts were potentially not as disastrous as they looked. Again I fear that he flattered to deceive at ICT in a tactical sense. There is no doubt that he has charisma and charm and can "talk the talk". To many he was, is and always be an iconical figure. I am slo led to believe that he was a disciplinarian and stood his ground. From the narcissistic profile perspective (seriously) he may now not adequately feel the love and devotion and needs a renewed challenge to endear himself - and where better in the staunch English bastion of Barnsley where most supporters will remember the old centre half and will idolise him from the off. If he has put in a view of the future and has been rebuked then that would be a major blow to his super-ego. His name and manner alone will be an attraction and lets face it barnsley want an appointment tomorrow.

The "bottom line" to me is that he is not a tactician and never will be. The signing of the likes of Draper, Raven and Warren were NOT of his making although his "name" linked with the SPL would have been a major positive. The formation that has become so consistent was as much created by injuries and suspensions than anything else and he still struggles when we have to change personnel or tactics I actually suspect that the players have had a big say in the style of play.

But I doubt if there are many that would say that they did not enjoy the full Butcher experience despite its rollercoastering journey. Lets just hope that whoever takes over has that extra bit of tactical know-how but holds on to the present squad at the same time.

As fer timing this is the worst possible moment - and fer that reason alone Butcher will be letting us all down if he jumps ships, irrespective of whether there are hidden agendas or not - and he may well scupper the rest of the season at the same time. And finally please, please tell me that our illustrious board have secnd guessed this and have a list of nominees waiting in the wings - the last thing that we need is to be managerless or be led my Mispass for the semi-final.

• Agree 3

if he does go what about Henrick Larsson I was reading that he was looking for a managerial job, 

My brother in law is in close contact with Mr Martinez at Wigun and - for all betting punters here is a tip - Ruben Baraja.

Does anyone know what Richard Gough is up to these days ?

I don't think he'll be considering anything until he's spoken to them.  He'd be silly not to go and have a word, especially as he's down that way spending time with family anyway, because they might make him an offer he can't refuse....financially.

He has spoken to them. And after hearing what they had to say, he's agreed to progress to the next stage.

I  agree that its not a completely foregone conclusion that he will accept though, as it doesn't look like Barnsley can provide a manager with the resources to have a realistic chance of avoiding relegation or bouncing back up.

The money will be tempting though. Make it through to next Christmas before being sacked with a healthy pay off and he'll have just about earned more than he would at ICT for the rest of his working life.

That's the worst case scenario. If he actually pulls off a survival miracle, the sky's the limit for him.

The extent of the talks he's already had is media speculation....for all we actually know it was nothing more than a conversation to agree a time to meet.  I take what the Barnsley Director is saying with a pinch of salt as he told everyone that O'Driscoll meeting was a formality....pretty much the same as he seems to be saying about Butcher....and look what happened there.

Terry is forever telling players they need to finish the job here so that they can realise true potential from their next move....I think he'll apply that same logic to his own situation.

I wish I had Caley Ds confidence but I think he might be off.

I think we could do worse than get Mark McGhee in as a replacement.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

From the Telegraph article:

"Neither the manager nor Inverness’s director of football, Graeme Bennett, would return calls on Monday but chairman Kenny Cameron confirmed on their official website that Barnsley had been granted permission to speak to Butcher."

This is clearly a publication so well clued up about ICT that it thinks that Greame Bennett is still Director of Football!

So did I. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaHuzkyurC0

The extent of the talks he's already had is media speculation....for all we actually know it was nothing more than a conversation to agree a time to meet.  I take what the Barnsley Director is saying with a pinch of salt as he told everyone that O'Driscoll meeting was a formality....pretty much the same as he seems to be saying about Butcher....and look what happened there.

Terry is forever telling players they need to finish the job here so that they can realise true potential from their next move....I think he'll apply that same logic to his own situation.

Sadly not when you have narcisstic traits. From a psychological perspective somebody or something has seriously fecked TB off and I think that he is also the type of individual who would play the - "if you dont give me what I want (or what I need) then I will look somewhere else" card.

If he goes the board need to get someone that can maintain the togetherness. Until at least the end of the season, continuity is key. We need to keep up the push at the top and try to win a cup(s) as if there‘s been no changes.

So it looks like Terry will take Mo and Steve. Could Steve be tempted to stay as Manager until the end of the season? We‘re going to lose him as GK Coach and Scout anyway. It‘s a big gamble but if he‘s as good a manager as he is a scout and GK coach he could be the man. He knows the players, has great contacts and has charisma. If it doesn‘t work out, then he could leave in May to Barnsley or return as GK Coach and Scout. If it works out, then well he‘s the man! Charlie as his Assistant (if he wants it).

So if Terry and Mo go, if we can convince him to stay, I would give the job to Steve Marsella.

I'm not worried because I don't believe he'll be leaving for Barnsley.

I agree but when the end of the season comes will he have his head turned by similar offers ??

Its also now time for the directors to ensure the team are kept together for next season regardless.

I'm not worried because I don't believe he'll be leaving for Barnsley.

I agree but when the end of the season comes will he have his head turned by similar offers ??

Its also now time for the directors to ensure the team are kept together for next season regardless.

No, I think by the end of the season he'll be getting better offers....but I also hope that our stock will also have increased by then and Terry will want to take us to Europe.

There's plenty going on behind the scenes with player contract talks and things and I believe the Directors will be doing everything within their power to keep as much of the team together as possible.