FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher to Barnsley? Terry stays put***

RossP

The source is the Radio Sheffield sports editor (Paul Walker) on Twitter. Very reliable.

He's probably contacted Barnsley for a line and that's what they've given him. I doubt that they would say that the talks were going badly (if they were).

I think that Alex Smith could be just what we are looking for if Butcher leaves.

Eh...no thanks.

So there's something holding it up. I have a feeling Maurice will want to stay put.

Was there not talk of that when the Aberdeen job last came up?  Seem to recollect some rumours at the time that Butcher was keen but Malpas wanted to stay here.

interesting to read MM article 're Danny Devine he is talking about trying to keep players on longer contracts for next season Is MM staying and TB leaving, are they both staying or is it a smoke screen? http://www.highland-news.co.uk/Sport/Football/Inverness-Caley-Thistle/Malpas-confirms-Devine-signing-at-ICT-08012013.htm

Edited by jagster

Malpas with Foran?

I'm happy with that. If Mo is committed to us then he has my backing.

Can't help thinking now that TB has made his intentions clear. If he doesn't go to Barnsley then he's gonna be off sooner rather than later.

Shame. A real shame.

• Agree 1

Butcher's intentions are at least clear in that he is now actively looking for a step up in his managerial career. Ok Barnsley are languishing at the foot of the championship but like all championship sides they have better set ups and playing staff than all the SPL clubs out with Celtic. I still think he will end up at the Orcs one day in some capacity but he could well be willing to use the likes of Barnsley or a similar club as a stepping stone. Dougal

If its true then I'm sorry but its disgusting on Terry's part. The three previous managers who have left us I could understand why they did but this is a joke. Barnsley are going nowhere but down, heavily in debt with a dwindling fan base. He is obviously motivated by money and couldn't give a **** about this club. He won't be getting good luck messages from me...

Tell me a footballer who isn't motivated by money. I always think surly there comes a point wheh these footballers dont need any more cash. But still they move for more money. Sometimes the moves are really bizarre, maybe you think this one is :)  but nothing surpises me in football .

We are not heavily in debt,  Barnsley have zero debt and were one of the only a few football league teams last year to make a profit. The new manager whoever it is will have money to spend, the directors have said that and we are on the verge of selling two players for £450k combined.  Hill had a budget but refused to spend it until it was too late, we recently loaned Tudgay, Greening (who's on silly money at forest), sincair and buzacky,  all of which Hill planned to re loan if they accepted to come back. we're also releasing mido who was on 4k per week.

My first reaction was that he wouldn't consider coming to us. I am still not 100% convinced he will accept but looking at his past, almost every team he has taken on were in the middle of a relegation fight.  Maybe he likes the challenge, we're only 4 points adrift and its not an impossible task to save us. Maybe he sees it as a route back into English football and wants to prove he can hack it.  Or like you say he may just want more cash

Edited by fevtyke

No negative reaction to that to be honest .... there's been some slagging of Barnsley in this thread and he is coming on defending his team, just like we would do (and have done) on other forums in the past ......

• Agree 4

He's right in the sense that his team did make a £30k profit. He fails to tell us that their turnover dropped from £11m to £7.5m and that they sold players for £1.3m. Nor did he tell us that they owe their owner £3.2m of their total net debt of £4.5m. yes they are debt free as far as the accounts go but wont be if the owner decides to claw back his loan notes.

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/82535-player-sales-help-barnsley-fc-score-small-profit

I must agree with Scotty on this one . there has been a fair bit of derision aimed at Barnsley about not being the best place etc . I for one have never been to Barnsley and could certainly not comment on the pros and cons of living there . As regards there football team I am sure their fans support their team avidly as we do ours and bear them no malice or ill will. I do hope we still have our management team in place and they take us to the league cup final and our highest ever position in the league but if that is not to be the case I wish them well and will give all my support to whoever takes the helm . ICT now and always

• Agree 3

He's right in the sense that his team did make a £30k profit. He fails to tell us that their turnover dropped from £11m to £7.5m and that they sold players for £1.3m. Nor did he tell us that they owe their owner £3.2m of their total net debt of £4.5m. yes they are debt free as far as the accounts go but wont be if the owner decides to claw back his loan notes.

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/82535-player-sales-help-barnsley-fc-score-small-profit

Owner patrick Cryne has more than enough cash :smile: and is a Barnsley fan. The clubs for sale and he isn't asking for his cash back in the initial sale.  He only wants it back if ever we make it to the Premier League.  Then the new owners will pay it back with the Prem money.

To be honest If Butcher decides not to come, i would fully understand why.  we're far from a rich club,  we have just been well run to appeal to potential buyers Cryne is ill and wants someone to take the club on.  The dwindling support is correct in a way, but before our promotion to the prem 8k would have been seen as a good crowd

The extent of the talks he's already had is media speculation....for all we actually know it was nothing more than a conversation to agree a time to meet.  I take what the Barnsley Director is saying with a pinch of salt as he told everyone that O'Driscoll meeting was a formality....pretty much the same as he seems to be saying about Butcher....and look what happened there.

Terry is forever telling players they need to finish the job here so that they can realise true potential from their next move....I think he'll apply that same logic to his own situation.

Excuse the shouting...my browser isn't letting me doing bolding or italics when posting on here...so capitals are my only option atm.

As a previous Butcher erse-licking happy-clapper...who always made excuses...I do logical! Seems to me if he isn't interested......WHY is he talking to other clubs AT ALL? HOW hard is it to say "feck off, I'm not interested" to clubs nosing about? If you do "polite" then that deliberately produces all the speculation from the media and also threads like this..and what good does that do anybody but Terry? It certainly doesn't help ICT being stuck in the same kind of uncertainty by Terry, as we were with Rooney, Hayes, and appear to be now with Andrew Shinnie.

The man is, imo, looking for an out while he is flying high......just in case he sinks and burns in the second half of this season and nobody will want him. He is no different to any player who grabs the money while they can....bar the fact that Terry doesn't NEED the money, but would rather "almost" achieve something....as he has here this season...than chance failure.....so the best way of never HAVING to fail is to duck out when you fear it might all go downhill from here.

He appears to have no confidence in his ability, his managerial team's ability or his chosen players ability......or he is as money grubbing as any banker!

• Agree 1