FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

A view from the South (of London)

Eagle4Caley

Got back home to South London late on Sunday evening, which gave me a chance to put some thoughts together about the performance against Partick. Just my opinions so hope no one is offended   

Brill .. 6/10 apart from the second goal, I thought he was pretty solid. Little he could do for the first as neat Partick passing and poor covering left us open. The second was horrible, without seeing a replay the ball looked like it took a wicked bounce right into the goalies weak area.

Raven .. 6 solid if unspectacular, not enough forward play for my liking.

Warren .. 7 he didn't do too much wrong and got a goal

Meekings .. 8 best ICT player on the pitch

Shinnie .. 6 as Raven

Mckay .. 7 gets this for sheer effort, got very little support.... really needs someone up front with him who can provide him with flick on's and lay offs

Draper .. 7 hardest working midfielder, and looked effective when pushed forward, but not particularly creative.

Foran .. 5 an enigma, at times looks like a pub team player, poor with the ball, but does show fight. If only he used his brain more often. Several times he gave up tracking back,which left us open, other times would get timely if unsophisticated clearances in

Doran .. 5 a very frustrating player for me, has a very good left foot, and a good shot on him, and also an effective corner taker. But rarely takes a player on and turns back too often, went missing at times and no real buzz about him.

Ross .. 5 better in the middle than on the wing, but lacks height, energy or creativity.

Greenhalgh. 5 did some good stuff (especially in the second half) but looked laboured at times, didn't attack the full back enough.

Subs... Manley, 7, I liked the look of this guy, certainly gave us a bit more buzz and guile. A good cameo, or the portent of something useful?

Polworth .. 5/6 allowed Foran to go forward, and did Ok for the short time he was on

Agdestein ... no mark as not on for any time.

Generally I feel we were missing Vincent, plus a winger who could attack the fullback and cross, and someone upfront to lead the attack, hold the ball up and most importantly play McKay in. We seemed a bit slow at times but perhaps the pitches are heavier this far up North! That said we were unlucky not to get something out of the game, and I enjoyed it if not the result. Enjoyed my trip up and had some good weather.

Come the January window, Butcher could do worse than to sign Palace's Aaron Wilbraham on loan, he maybe not good enough for the EPL (and after Mondays result against Fulham I want no jokes about the rest of the team) but he does hold the ball up well and bring players into the game.

Anyway I get to see ICt v Ross County on the box on Friday and have my next trip up booked for March

Come on you Caley!

• Agree 1

It's fair comments Eagle, although Richie Foran gets around the park, breaking up attacks, heading clear in the box, helping up front..........his work rate is tremendous and he does a lot of passes, so maybe more noticeable that he makes some poor ones at times, but for me he was one of our top players. Meekings has been tremendous for us, pace power and stamina. Marley Watkins was excellent when he came on, added plenty of drive going forward. Totally agree about McKay, he got no service at all, especially in the second half, he would have been as well sitting in the stands.

Eagle4Caley. I agree pretty much with your assessment. That's how it looked to me too, watching on TV. Sometimes watching on TV does not give a completely accurate view of a player's performance as the camera only tends to follow the ball, so I can understand people who actually were at the game sometimes having a different opinion.

I'll be watching the County game on TV too, with a few pals at my golf club. One of them is a keen Palace supporter! I promise not to rib him too much about last night's result.

• Agree 1

I can't agree with comments on Foran.  I think we miss him more than any other individual when he's not there and as TM4TJ says he's more noticeable when he does something wrong!

Hope The Eagles stay up and you stick with Holloway.  I don't think he deserves the sack.  Again.

In many ways that report, comments and marks could cover quite a few of the games this season. Ross is never a winger and TB shows his frustrating persistence in the same old system. Greenhalgh is too much of a lightweight and McKay lacks support. Foran goes hot and cold but has put in better performances this year.

Two things that annoyed me were Forans constant mouthing at the ref and I think that it sways decisions against us and the ludicrously late substitution.

Guest Mahonio

Would Wilbraham come here though, it would be a great signing imo but can't see it?

Hey guys, what makes you think Mr Holloway may get sacked, the 2 get on well so can't see parish axing Holloway ;-).

Delighted to hear you enjoyed yourself again despite the result. Not fancy fridays derby however? Atmosphere alone will be special. Im actually hoping to be down your way soon. Got a mate who has a season ticket in the Holmesdale and is willing tp give it to me for one game, so hopefully all works out. Last night was tragic though lol

ForzaCaleyPalace

I can't agree with comments on Foran.  I think we miss him more than any other individual when he's not there and as TM4TJ says he's more noticeable when he does something wrong!

Hope The Eagles stay up and you stick with Holloway.  I don't think he deserves the sack.  Again.

I would prefer to see Foran up front to support McKay...with Manley on the right, Vincent (when fit) in the centre with Draper...not sure who to use whilst he is out, perhaps Polworth

As for Holloway...I think he will be good for Palace over time, he needs time though.

Would Wilbraham come here though, it would be a great signing imo but can't see it?

Hey guys, what makes you think Mr Holloway may get sacked, the 2 get on well so can't see parish axing Holloway ;-).

If TB offers Meekings in a swap deal, I will personally button-hole Holloway myself to make it happen....not sure you guys would ever talk to me again though!

Eagle Lad, how long does the London train take to arrive in Inverness?

And what is the return fare?

Last time I came into Gatwick--worst airport in Britain I think,-- I was seated beside a top violinist on the Flybe plane who was on his way up to see the Duchess who lived in  Cawdor castle near Forres where MacBeth holed up after he killed off King Duncan , for a posh garden party or something. He was quite an interesting old chap and I asked a lot of questions about his life. He then warmed up because he could see old Scarlet was a right down regular guy from the wilderness of West of the Canadian Rockies  and if he dropped a name or two I might be suitably impressed. After I had oohed and ahhed once or twice he realised how brilliant old Scarlet was and we started to have a good time and, frankly, I was sorry to see him drift awa intae the nicht . The flight was only about an hour long and then we dropped down into the new I(for me) Inverness Airport  but who, knows, maybe next time I might take the train and meet the Dowager herself.

Cheers.