FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

I certainly don't envy the board in board in their search for the next manager of ICT. None of the names I've seen/heard bandied about grab me as being a stand-out candidate, and some even fill me with dread !! :crazy:

What I think worked really well with TB & MM was the name 'Terry Butcher' attracted players to come to Inverness that would otherwise not have given us a second thought! While MM concentrated on coaching the players and getting them fit.

IMHO another 'name' as manager, to attract new players, with a sidekick to coach the team, is the way to go?

Who were the players butchers name attracted to Inverness that would otherwise not have given us a second thought , I can only think of lower league players whose careers were floundering .

I certainly don't envy the board in board in their search for the next manager of ICT. None of the names I've seen/heard bandied about grab me as being a stand-out candidate, and some even fill me with dread !! :crazy:

What I think worked really well with TB & MM was the name 'Terry Butcher' attracted players to come to Inverness that would otherwise not have given us a second thought! While MM concentrated on coaching the players and getting them fit.

IMHO another 'name' as manager, to attract new players, with a sidekick to coach the team, is the way to go?

Who were the players butchers name attracted to Inverness that would otherwise not have given us a second thought , I can only think of lower league players whose careers were floundering .

That's the ones I mean. I don't think the likes of Warren, Mckay, Draper, Meekings, et al, would've come here?

From nowhere, a new favourite with Paddy Power - Chris Sutton!!

Stan James has Kenny Shiels as favourite!

...and the other bookie offering odds on this is Bet Victor who have Craig Levein as favourite!

Conclusion: It's wide open and nobody has clue!

From nowhere, a new favourite with Paddy Power - Chris Sutton!!

Stan James has Kenny Shiels as favourite!

...and the other bookie offering odds on this is Bet Victor who have Craig Levein as favourite!

Conclusion: It's wide open and nobody has clue!

Chris Sutton is a player manager at the moment for some English team in the Isthmian League. To be perfectly honest, if Sutton was to join us I would rather it be in a coaching role with Henrik Larsson as Manager and John Hartson as his assistant.

Nevio Scala?

Probably the most likely.  He's applied for quite a few jobs over here I think including Kilmarnock (he mentioned Killie Pies as a reason he was interested!) and the national team.

Looking at his record, he's actually managed quite a few prominent teams including Parma, Shakhtar Donetsk, Besikitas and Spartak Moscow.

Edited by Renegade

People on here seem to have short memories with regard to the constant pops he had at our temerity to be based out with the central belt. 

I wouldn't take all that moaning about having to travel to the Highlands too seriously - it just looked like he was getting his excuses in early and trying to manage expectations in case Kilmarnock lost the games. Pretty amateurish psychology from Shiels, but I never took it as serious disrespect towards our club.

I can see a few good reasons why the ICT board would be interested in him, actually - he was genuinely driven about promoting Kilmarnock to the local population, he was committed to bringing through young players, and he coped with working within a very tight budget. At the same time, he seemed to suffer from periodic tactical brainfarts, and his public persona was beyond parody at times. Not sure if the latter would appeal much to an apparently modest and unassuming guy like Kenny Cameron, but if the ICT board could live with it, then I certainly could.

An interesting name that popped up on P&B was Billy McKinlay. No idea if it was purely speculation - youngish Scottish coach looking for first number one role and all that - but having been a coach with Fulham and Northern Ireland, he has more experience than the likes of Barry Ferguson or Henrik Larsson, might have some good contacts and, if his footballing philosophy is based at all on what he was like as a player, would hopefully get us playing good passing football.      

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 1

Hartley would be good but like Butcher he would be viewing ICT as a stepping stone to something better

I personally wouldn't give thon roaster Sheils an interview. The fact that he's still sniffing about the Scottish game concerns me though

Dougal

Dougal, I agree with you that Hartley would view it as a stepping stone.

I stumbled across a fascinating interview this morning on YouTube with Kenny Shiels. I'm completely and utterly sold on him (and Jimmy Nicholl) getting the job after watching it. I highly recommend giving it a view

• Agree 1

Hartley would be good but like Butcher he would be viewing ICT as a stepping stone to something better

I personally wouldn't give thon roaster Sheils an interview. The fact that he's still sniffing about the Scottish game concerns me though

Dougal

I have no difficulty with an ambitious manager viewing ICT as a stepping stone to something better just as long as they respect the club and the fans in doing so.

• Agree 2

No need to be timid about good people moving on. Good people have to grow and advance or they stagnate and decline. What's wrong with hiring a restless and ambitious Manager? 

It's all about encouragement whilst they are in the position and wishing them well when they move upwards--provided, of course, that they do it the correct way . If you try to retain them by holding them back then this can only breed disillusionment and resentment and the person will move on, regardless of what you think anyway.

It's good policy and shrewd to foster the relationship and continue to offer support as you go along. Then when the Manager moves onwards he leaves as a friend and a good future contact.

The Spl is actually a small league and what is the point in making negative contacts? Unless you are dealing with a person who is likely to betray you..........