FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Anyone Recognise ?

I think we had to pay about 4d for the bus. Dalneigh School stopped at 5 to 4 to let people get the 4 o'clock bus from St Ninian Drive.

You must have been well off, I had to walk or cycle :smile:

Do you know this man or are you part of his family tree ?

I do believe that the execution in question may have taken place quite close to the Caledonian Stadium. The Longman was certainly Inverness's execution venue for some time...... and also subsequently as many visiting teams have discovered!

Found this :laugh:

By the early 1700s national courts were taking over much of the work of the Lords of Regality and the last execution in Scotland under this system was in 1701. After the '45 Rebellion the Government forcibly bought out the remaining Regality rights and national justice in the shape of High Court Circuits visited Inverness to hear major offences. At this time executions took place on the Longman the last being in 1835. The criminal was John Adams who had been found guilty of murdering his wife at Mulbuie. His body was said to have been buried in Bridge Street but by 1845 the remains had been re-interred under the steps of the Police Office in Castle Wynd.

The office of Hangman in Inverness was described by Joseph Mitchell in the following way: "The official who then held the appointment was a person condemned for sheep stealing, which at this time was a capital crime; but he received a pardon on condition that he agreed to act as hangman, an office very unpopular. The former hangman, Taylor, died from severe treatment by a mob. The office was no sinecure, as there was generally a hanging at every circuit in April and August. The man however was well to do. He had a comfortable house, £60 a year and some control over the fish and meal markets. He rang the bell when there was fish in town and had the perquisite of a haddock out of every creel, and a handful of meal out of every sack that came into the market to be sold."

This contemporary report shows that while the legal system had improved, the supply of suitable hangmen was still a problem. It was one thing to appoint a hangman, but quite another to get him to perform his duties. When Dingwall Town Council were preparing to hang Rorie MacAlister in 1733 they ordered wood for the gallows and a search party to find their hangman Donald Gair. The fact that executioners absconded when a hanging was imminent was taken to its logical conclusion in Wick. On one occasion friends of a newly sentenced man, approached the town executioner and by bribery or threats induced him to flee. This left the way open for the condemned man to apply for the vacant post and of course a pardon.

• Agree 1

Now this one should go down a bomb

I haven't seen Scarlet's either :lol: but I do believe this is a late WW1 photo or just after the war. The sailor's hat suggests he is American and in 1918, a lot of Americans were stationed in Inverness on minelaying duties. It was a barrage across the top of the North Sea from Shetland to Norway to prevent the Kreigsmarine (German Navy) breaking out should they ever have got that far North and to tighten the merchant blockade on Germany by preventing ships from getting in.

However the thing was barely laid when the Armistice came and they had to sweep the whole lot again - thousands of mines.

I believe the mines may have been stored in the Glen Albyn Distillery.

Opposite the old Muirtown Stores (now Crown Vets) it is now flats with Muirtown Basin on the left and the building on the right is part of the old Glenalbyn Distillery.