FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Anyone Recognise ?

The Black Bridge and railway bridge Waterloo Place, Shore St and Innes St, part of the power station beside the bowling green.  Not much on the north side of the railway line, looks like a row of huts on Longman Road.  The large building top right is Highland House which is still there and the houses at the front of it were opposite the old PO/BT garage and demolished when the road was made dual carriageway.

The Crown School steeple behind what is now the site of the Crown Church.

The precise location of this one has really got me going! I've looked at the high resolution satellite image on Google and that, combined with the apparent distance and angle of the Crown School tower plus the presence of the large house on the left side of the photo has me wondering if this is quite near, but not quite on the site of the Crown Church and possibly as little further away from Crown School than that?

Certainly the Crown Church isn't there yet and that, I think I recollect, was built in 1893. In that case the old Academy will not be there either since it was opened in 1895.

I'm wondering if this could be nearer Ardconnel Terrace or the junction of Charles St and Denny St. On the other hand I'm also wondering of the street name might just say Midmills Road which would indeed locate it to the Crown Church site.

I must take a look up there tomorrow morning to check!

On the other hand I'm also wondering of the street name might just say Midmills Road which would indeed locate it to the Crown Church site.

It does my eyesight must be better than yours!

There is no point the old cottage is gone now :smile:

On the other hand I'm also wondering of the street name might just say Midmills Road which would indeed locate it to the Crown Church site.

It does my eyesight must be better than yours!

There is no point the old cottage is gone now :smile:

And I think you must have a bigger and/or clearer screen than I have but I have now got the photo up on my phone internet which zooms in and you can indeed make out Midmills Road. What I mean by taking a look tomorrow morning is that I'd like to get the proper on the spot perspective and in particular find out what's on the site of the large building on the left of the picture which looks as if it should have had a few years in it yet.

I would have loved to have lived in a house with walls of advertising boards. It wasn't a shop or post office perhaps.

I've now been for a recce and reckon the photo was taken just outside what is now Chris Crook's barber's ship opposite the Old Academy. Looking at the photo last night the angle and apparent distance of the Crown School tower, no longer visible from that spot because of the Crown Church, seemed to place the photographer slightly differently, but that's not the case.

This means that the structure on the far left of the photo, which I take to be a house and which looks in fairly good nick, must have been demolished to make way for the Crown Church which was actually started in 1897 and completed in 1901.

The building on the corner may indeed be a shop or a post office, judging by the notice boards and the ads. The property next door looks well past its sell date and doesn't even have an intact roof so these structures may not have been long for this world and I'm also wondering if even the corner one is still in use here?

The Crown School's website tells us that it was built in 1879, which is consistent with some of the other buidings in the vicinity of the Heathmount, so it looks as if the photo dates from 1879-97, hwnce the Old Academy, dating from 1895, may or may not be to the photographer's left.

• Agree 1

I think you were doubting me Charles, I was joking when I said I could see Midmills Road on the sign just have a good eye for buildings and places and a good memory for now!  I would loved to have seen you outside Chris Crooks this morning checking the angles and bet that passers by were looking at you wondering what on earth you were doing :ohmy:  

I think you were doubting me Charles, I was joking when I said I could see Midmills Road on the sign just have a good eye for buildings and places and a good memory for now!  I would loved to have seen you outside Chris Crooks this morning checking the angles and bet that passers by were looking at you wondering what on earth you were doing :ohmy:  

Well you are right! When I blew up the photo using my i-phone you could just make out Midmills Road on the left hand sign but still nothing on the right. I was slightly doubting you at the start because in my mind's eye I underestimated how far back the Crown School tower is from the road.

I don't think the passers by were as bemused by my checking angles as they were as to what the hell someone with my hairstyle was doing outside Chris Crooks in the first place :lol:

Here is another oldie and can I suggest that Charlie attempts to scrutinise from the same angle.

"Tha Ferree" and from a great height as well. Apart from North, South, West Drive etc, I can see what I would take to be the Coronation Park flats and Coronation Park annexe of Merkinch School, but on the other hand the Carse seems pretty devoid of development at that point.

Just bet me to it Charles!  That would be early 70's with the then new houses at Wyvis Place, Ord Terrace and Glendoe Terrace where you can see 3 of the 6 blocks of flats.  I stayed in Benula Road which is just out of the picture.  The large building on the left is on Carsegate Road South was Lawson and Turnbull which later became Parkinsons and the large one on Carsegate Road North was Robert Sinclair with the Alliance Cash & Carry across the road. 

That must have been during the building of the main Eastgate Centre the old mart buildings are still there.  I don't recall the road being closed but it might have been for a short time only.

That's the monument above Clachnaharry. Regretfully the column is no longer there, and the monument is now surrounded by trees. I think it commemorates a battle between the Munros and possibly Mackintoshes back in the cattle rustling days.