FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Case for Pele

Strathman

I think someone should put the case for Pele to return so here goes.

Pele left the club at the TOP of the first division in 2001. On Saturday at Love Street eight of of the thirteen who played were signed at one time by Pele. Think about that this is 2007, nearly six years on the bulk of the team were signed by this man.

John Roberston and Craig Brewster carried it on, did well, and got jobs on the back of these players.

Robertson failed at Hearts and Livingston and fled at the first sign of cutbacks at Ross County as Smithy's ludicrous spending on wages came home to roost. Craig hardly won a game at Dundee United.

Many will say Pele also failed at Pittodrie and I partly agree with that. The job he took on was massive . He inherited an overpaid squad of bad professionals. He had to cut the wage bill and overturn the playing staff. He had to buy at the cheap end of the market.  Sheerin, Hart, Heikenen and Tosh all contributed. He gave youngsters like Diamond, Foster and Considine their debuts.

At the end of his only full season they finished 11th but the injury list was horrendous. McNaughton, Anderson and Diamond were all out for the last few months of the season and he ended up having to play guys he had already freed!. He made a bad signing in McQuilken but to his immense credit he accepted it and moved him on quickly unlike his successor and Ritchie Byrne.

Unfortunately he was sacked and despite a poll in the Aberdeen evening paper which showed about 90 per cent thought it was wrong. He did not get the chance to complete the job. Who knows what would have happened when all the players were fit at the start of the following season. Jimmy Calderwood got the benefit and also money to spend.

He has slowly rehabillitated himself firstly at Forres where he built a decent side and now at Peterhead where he seems to building a decent team.

I for one think he has one big job left in him and would welcome him back, Anyone else?

He looked pretty relaxed walking down Fochabers High Street last night. I am sure he and Donald would strike up a good partnership. The fact Peterhead beat us in  pre season may prove interesting. Pele may however find it difficult to command the respect of players at SPL level.

All the speculation at present ignores the fact that ICT do not have a wad of cash to pay compensation to other clubs for taking their managers. Coyle, for instance, is contracted to St Johnstone for two more years.

There's nothing I'd like more than to see Pele prove himself in the top flight and help us progress in the SPL playing the sort of cavalier football we used to play under him. It would make a chnage from being tagged as a 'big' team who are 'well organised' and 'difficult to beat' all the time.

However, the reality is that with our budget, our existing squad and a fairly limited youth system it's unlikely we'll ever be able to match the majority of SPL teams in terms of flair. The key to survival has got to be tactical flexibility and superior fitness, and there's no evidence that either of these were really Pele's strong point. As several people have pointed out, our fitness really improved under Brewster, although personally I thought our football under him was as dull as it has ever been.

One final point, and this applies to both Pele and Brewster, and indeed Robbo: has there ever really been a manager who has returned to a club where they had previously had success and managed to repeat that success? I'm thinking Jimmy Nicholl at Raith Rovers, Jim Leishman at Dunfermline, Howard Kendall at Everton. Alex Totten too - didn't he return to Falkirk without success? Walter Smith may be the exception, I suppose - but am I missing anyone obvious? To my mind, reappointing old managers just doesn't seem to work.    

Paterson was a God in the transfer market, he had an amazing aptitude for plucking players from obscurity (Wyness, Sheerin, Hart, McBain, Ritchie, Robson, Tokely etc etc etc) there were no dressing room splits, he only signed team players - he wasn't afraid to ruffle feathers (Sandy Robertson one of our best players released on a free) and commanded the respect of the dressing room.

He was a superb tactician, and had us playing fantasy football (apparently in the 3-1 win at Celtic park the radio commentater said 'and now, Inverness are showboating' lol) 

Most of all, he knew how to cultivate team spirit, work ethic and confidence. He always managed to get the best out of his players. A few of our boys look a bit lost at the moment, Pele is the man to get us back on track. I honestly believe he would not only save us from relegation, but in time take us to the next level.

One final point, and this applies to both Pele and Brewster, and indeed Robbo: has there ever really been a manager who has returned to a club where they had previously had success and managed to repeat that success? I'm thinking Jimmy Nicholl at Raith Rovers, Jim Leishman at Dunfermline, Howard Kendall at Everton. Alex Totten too - didn't he return to Falkirk without success? Walter Smith may be the exception, I suppose - but am I missing anyone obvious? To my mind, reappointing old managers just doesn't seem to work.    

Harry Redknapp has done not bad since returning to Portsmouth.

Last week Barry Robson got picked for Scotland and Mark Brown played in the Champions League. Both players signed on frees by Pele.

No, No No, only marginally above Brew at the bottom of the wanted list, NO!

What is it with folk wanting to go back the way instead of forwards? Our old managers fecked off to other clubs showing NO loyalty at all, and we have watched them sink into the mire pretty much as soon as they left. Feck them, NO!!!!!

NO!!!!

What is it with folk wanting to go back the way instead of forwards? Our old managers fecked off to other clubs showing NO loyalty at all, and we have watched them sink into the mire pretty much as soon as they left. Feck them, NO!!!!!

NO!!!!

Well we are not exactly going to get Jose Mourinho or Alex Ferguson. Who do you suggest other than those names already mentioned?

I would much rather wait and see who's on the clubs shortlist than dredge up names from the past or come out with ridiculous suggestions like Ian McCall FFS! We've not been let down with their choices before and I trust them to make the right decision.

I can tell you exactly who I DONT want though  :001:

I accept that I may be in the minority but I would be delighted to see Steve Paterson return.

He is a manager with a long track record of success who will have a burning desire to prove himself after the shabby way he was treated by the incoming Willie Miller at Pittodrie after being assured only weeks before tht he would be granted another full season to improve an Aberden team that had been in the doldrums for years.

Paterson was a God in the transfer market, he had an amazing aptitude for plucking players from obscurity (Wyness, Sheerin, Hart, McBain, Ritchie, Robson, Tokely etc etc etc) there were no dressing room splits, he only signed team players - he wasn't afraid to ruffle feathers (Sandy Robertson one of our best players released on a free) and commanded the respect of the dressing room.

He was a superb tactician, and had us playing fantasy football (apparently in the 3-1 win at Celtic park the radio commentater said 'and now, Inverness are showboating' lol) 

Most of all, he knew how to cultivate team spirit, work ethic and confidence. He always managed to get the best out of his players. A few of our boys look a bit lost at the moment, Pele is the man to get us back on track. I honestly believe he would not only save us from relegation, but in time take us to the next level.

Thats the best case for a manager Ive seen today.

Although

:024:

so what happened at aberdeen :024:

Guest birdog

NO!!!!

Rangers seem to be doing alright re-employing an old manager :024: