FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Tactics

In light of today's performance, and pretty much every performance since New Year, I think that, as loyal fans, we are obliged to help Brewster with what is clearly a huge deficiency in his managerial skills, using the expansive experience that we all have (mostly from years of playing "Football Manager").

Firstly, my knee-jerk reaction, after today, would be to send the following team out against Falkirk.

Wheelie Bin

Traffic cone    Proctor    Traffic cone    Traffic cone

Cowie            Traffic cone  McBain        Traffic cone

Niculae      Wyness

Seriously, though, it is clear that this 4-5-1 system is not working, and has not worked since John Rankin was shown the exit.  He was the key, a guy who could put a foot on the ball, play the killer pass, and get forward quickly to support the lone striker.  Unfortunately Cowie and Wyness have shown that they cannot produce the impact they can in other positions, and Niculae simply can't/won't put in the defensive work required of the role.  In addition, we just don't have a player who can play as a lone striker - Bayne is awful at holding it up, while Marius and Wyness just don't have the strength or aerial prowess. 

Therefore, it seems to me that we certainly need to go back to 4-4-2.  I don't think we have the personnel for 4-3-3 - while Imrie could play on the left wing, who would be on the right? (especially with Barry gone?) - though perhaps 3-5-2 is an option.

So, then, who should be in?  Contrary to my suggestion above, we probably can't just drop two-thirds of the team.  But some need a seat on the bench so they can "think about what they've done".  I think the general consensus is that Duncan is one of these, and personally I believe McGuire is another.

At the moment, though, it is quite clear that there a number of players - Imrie, Cowie and Niculae come to mind - who we are simply not getting the best out of in the current climate. 

Thoughts?

Therefore, it seems to me that we certainly need to go back to 4-4-2.  I don't think we have the personnel for 4-3-3 - while Imrie could play on the left wing, who would be on the right? (especially with Barry gone?) - though perhaps 3-5-2 is an option.

We played 4-4-2 against Motherwell and Hibs recently and it didn't work. This back 4 needs protection.

The midfield is almost always where the wheels fall off for us.

Wilson should not  be sent on loan - he should be used to bring Imrie along (Barry, I am sure, knows that he can't expect to play the full ninety: nor should Dougie be asked to provide all the answers in the SPL when barely three years out of junior football). Rankin should never have gone without a credible replacement being brought in. Hart provided us with a midfield aspect which no other player in the squad could or can bring (at least since Keogh was sent West). Oh, and does anyone remember Juanjo's promise in the hole, if only John Robertson had stayed, and Neil Lennon never existed?

There are three midfielders there - four, if you count Keogh - who were included in the tally of our 'embarassment of riches' in the middle of the park, who have now gone. The nightmare of it is that every one of them was someone you looked at on the bench and thought - this or that player could be brought on and change the game: no speculation involved, you'd seen them do it. Looking at our bench today I couldn't see a single player who I'd back to turn the match around.

When you struggle to hold on to players because they're better than you can pay, it's painful but inevitable: when as a fan you see value in a player that the manager doesn't see, you think, hey, doing well in a fantasy football league really doesn't make me a manager; when you see the effect of that player leaving of a Saturday afternoon, and the manager scratching his head wondering what to do, what to bring off the bench - well, that I can't forgive. After the fact, the dead wood seems to be more of the suit-wearing kind.

Has Richie actually signed for C*unty? Thats a massive shame as he's a very talented player imo. I remember he got a run in the team when CC first took over from Brew, and he was probably our best player.

I don't think Brew is that far off the mark, but he needs to do something to freshen the team up. Ross Tokely needs to be dropped imo. Not permanently, but he needs a kick up the backside (not literally  :004:), and Proctor should come in at right-back as he was playing brilliantly during Tokely and McGuire's suspensions. If you look at the two centre backs, Brew is desperately short of options. Munro and McGuire have both generally played well this season, so is there any point in dropping either? Steve Watt is the the only other option, but he seems to be injured every five minutes. And I'm not totally sure about the young lads' positions, but Hastings seems to be the only left-back in the squad.

Right midfielder, has to be Barry Wilson. He brings so much to the team, and he gets the crowd going, which can bounce back on to the pitch and lift the team'sm performance. imo, Russell Duncan should be told to sit back and protect the back four, in the 'Makelele' role. That allows Don Cowie to get more forward and add to his goal tally. Its take your pick out of Dougie or Markus for the left wing spot. I'd have Dougie as I think he's played well since he arrived, but Markus has done well in recent weeks.

Then up front, surely you can't drop your top scorer, so Marius is in. I'd have Dennis Wyness up front with him, as he is a natural goalscorer, and looked like he was back to his old ways at the start of the season.

So.... Rant over, here's my selection  :004:

FRASER

PROCTOR          MUNRO              MCGUIRE            HASTINGS

DUNCAN

WILSON                                                                IMRIE

COWIE

NICULAE                WYNESS

Subs- Malkowski, Vigurs, Gillespie, Duff, Hart, Black, Bayne.

Unfortunately Brew's selections are slightly limited by the three under-21 player rules, as if they weren't in place, I'd drop Vigurs, Gillespie and Duff from the bench and put in Markus, McBain and McDonald.

We played 4-4-2 against Motherwell and Hibs recently and it didn't work. This back 4 needs protection.

I thought against Hibs it was more 4 - 4 - 1 - 1?

I would like to see Cowie go back to the right where he has been so effective for us this season. Not sure he does it as well playing behind the striker.

For me one of the main problems at the moment is the lack of pace ALL over the pitch, We are so ponderous at times it is absolutely frightening!

Think I mentioned that to jay_7 yesterday. It is surprising just how little pace we have in our team. Rankin wasn't exactly blistering but he could certainly "scamper". The XI that took the filed yesterday wouldn't fare to well over 100m I wouldn't have thought. As players like Agathe showed if you have pace you can be mince at a lot of other things as your speed buys you a few extra seconds in the game.