FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

McBain

CaleyP

I would say I am a big fan of McBain and love to see him do well, however, i'm sorry to say this season he has given us nothing, he is invisible in every game he plays in, apart from the aberdeen game at the beginning of the season which he did play well in to be fair.

I have managed to get to every game this season, and each game I have been accompanied by a different friend who are non caley fans but love football, so I think it's fair to say they are neutral and therefore can give a non-bias opinion when it comes to rating the Caley players. Every game every time I am asked the same question....why does brew play McBain?!

So I just wanted to see what peoples thought's were on this?

Seems to be a one half wonder, legs just don't have the running that he needs for his type of game. He is not an impact player, solid and reliable, without the legs midfield could be too much, push Hastings for the left back slot, good competition needed.

Time for Vigurs to step up, this boy has the sweetest left foot at the club, and can control high tempo passing. Though again he lacks pace which alot of our midfield do, Imrie and Cowie possible exceptions, though they are not wippets either!

I would say I am a big fan of McBain and love to see him do well, however, i'm sorry to say this season he has given us nothing, he is invisible in every game he plays in, apart from the aberdeen game at the beginning of the season which he did play well in to be fair.

I have managed to get to every game this season, and each game I have been accompanied by a different friend who are non caley fans but love football, so I think it's fair to say they are neutral and therefore can give a non-bias opinion when it comes to rating the Caley players. Every game every time I am asked the same question....why does brew play McBain?!

I trust when you refer to non caley fans in fact you refer to Thistle fans :rotflmao:

I trust you mean that these friends rate ICT players as that other team you refer to went out of business about 15 years ago :thumb04:

It's not just this season. McBain has been past it for the last 2 or 3 seasons and what really ticks me off is there are players missing out that could do so much better than him. I really think he should step down a league.

Seems to be a one half wonder, legs just don't have the running that he needs for his type of game. He is not an impact player, solid and reliable, without the legs midfield could be too much, push Hastings for the left back slot, good competition needed.

Time for Vigurs to step up, this boy has the sweetest left foot at the club, and can control high tempo passing. Though again he lacks pace which alot of our midfield do, Imrie and Cowie possible exceptions, though they are not wippets either!

I presume you missed his injury time goal against Aberdeen where he sprinted about 75 yards to lash the ball past Langfield, after putting in a terrific shift.

Still think McBain is good enough to play at this level. The midfield engine that allows the more creative and technically able players to thrive. That and he is the the consumate professional, and is one of the fittest and hard-working players in the team.

Roy McBain is yet another testament to Brewsters tactical naievity. Royster must be one of the fittest players in the squad - he is reliable, he has a bit of pace and will always put in 100% and will work his socks of fer the cause - he is a better defender than anything else. He has all the components to be a legend but he is being used as a stopgap for too many positions in a similiarity to Cowie.

Royster is the identikit of a left wing back - he showed that last season when he was yet another stopgap - he is superior to Hastings in many ways but again Brew has tunnel vision. GIVE Roy a run at left full back and reap the benefits - see ma other post/s - when Duncan is unavailable stick Roy into that slot. Those are the only roles that we can give him that will bring out the best in him, keep him in a regular spot which he will probably earn and prove yet again that Brew has ersed it up once again.

I fear that we will lose a very valuable player otherwise who may do a real job elsewhere in the SPL.

Mcbain is an asset in the midfield, with his hard work and decent pace he provides cover for the likes of Imrie and Cowie to break forward.

Totally agree

McBain is a more than useful senior player that always gives 110% and never acts like a little girl when he is subbed or doesn't start every game

He also has a better goal scoring record than the majority of our midfield

Most importantly he is an essential squad player, I expect Vigurs to be his eventual replacement as a first team player but if anyone else can recomend a left sided player that offers consistent performances and SPL experience I'd like to hear it???

Mcbain is an asset in the midfield, with his hard work and decent pace he provides cover for the likes of Imrie and Cowie to break forward.

Totally agree

McBain is a more than useful senior player that always gives 110% and never acts like a little girl when he is subbed or doesn't start every game

He also has a better goal scoring record than the majority of our midfield

Most importantly he is an essential squad player, I expect Vigurs to be his eventual replacement as a first team player but if anyone else can recomend a left sided player that offers consistent performances and SPL experience I'd like to hear it???

Totally agree with everything you said. Mcbain often doesn't get the credit he deserves. Brew is right to keep him in the first team

Roy McBain is an enigma, much like Russell Duncan. There are those who watch him in a game and see nothing positive, and yet there are just as many who watch him in the same game and see a good performance or at worst no major problem.

Personally - and for the umpteenth time this month - I find myself agreeing with IHE again. When Roy is good, he is very good, and he is usually very good when played in a position befitting his skillset. He is not so good when played outside that comfort zone .... but you could say that about most players.

Admittedly I havent seen much of him recently but the only other contribution I can really add to this discussion is that I always felt he looked nervous or lacking in confidence once he crossed the halfway line. He would turn back or look for the lateral pass instead of using his skills to skin someone or have a go. On the occasions when he did skin someone he has looked good and scored goals, but when playing sideways or backwards, he could be very frustrating. All of this, I would say, backs up IHE's contention that a defensive midfield or left back or wing-back role would suit him ... especially if the manager tells him he has confidence in him !

Roy McBain is an enigma, much like Russell Duncan. There are those who watch him in a game and see nothing positive, and yet there are just as many who watch him in the same game and see a good performance or at worst no major problem.

Personally - and for the umpteenth time this month - I find myself agreeing with IHE again. When Roy is good, he is very good, and he is usually very good when played in a position befitting his skillset. He is not so good when played outside that comfort zone .... but you could say that about most players.

Admittedly I havent seen much of him recently but the only other contribution I can really add to this discussion is that I always felt he looked nervous or lacking in confidence once he crossed the halfway line. He would turn back or look for the lateral pass instead of using his skills to skin someone or have a go. On the occasions when he did skin someone he has looked good and scored goals, but when playing sideways or backwards, he could be very frustrating. All of this, I would say, backs up IHE's contention that a defensive midfield or left back or wing-back role would suit him ... especially if the manager tells him he has confidence in him !

I agree with what you are saying but at home especially if we are playing 1 up front we need someone who can give us more options in an attacking sense . Once again i will say it Vigours has to start. Whenever he has started this season we have looked a far more potent team going forward.

mcbain can slot in at left back if need be and do a decent enough job but he's not a left back he's a midfielder, plain and simple. credit to brewster for using him at left back when were short but he is much more of a benefit to the team in midfield.

roys a players player, doing the jobs others dont like, and sometimes that type of player doesn't always get the plaudits but every team needs them.

question is should he and duncan both start

I trust when you refer to non caley fans in fact you refer to Thistle fans :rotflmao:

I trust you mean that these friends rate ICT players as that other team you refer to went out of business about 15 years ago :thumb04:

You obviously haven't a clue what you are talking about.