FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

split: Play for country of birth ?

Linwoodictsc

Ferguson will be delighted, he's been looking for a way to stop the inconvenience of playing for Scotland for years. But on the flip side

Kris Boyd

Allan McGregor

Barry Ferguson

Aiden McGeady

James McCarthy

We cant qualify for tournaments missing this quality of players. The 1st 3 probably don't deserve to play for scotland. The last 2 are an absolute disgrace.

why are they a disgrace? is it because they play for Ireland instead of Scotland? well if that's your reason were you moaning when Richard Gough decided top play for Scotland instead of the land of his birth?

i dont think you would have been.

There are lots of football players who play for countries they were not born in.

the idiots that boo these players because of the country they decide to play for should get a life.

rant over......... :rotflmao:

Mcgeady wasn't allowed to play for Scotland schoolboys because he played for a pro club (or summit like that) but, Ireland didn't care who he played for. Ireland got him young. It's not his fault. It's the SFA. I'm not sure about McCarthy. He STILL hasn't been capped and can change his mind until that happens, or he turns 21........

Mccarthy and mcgeady are scottish. As simple as that! McGeady has only just turned 22, why is he expecting to just waltz straight into the Scotland 1st team when he's 18/19. So He just plays for Ireland instead.

Maybe the Scottish FA in some way are to blame. But most of the blame is at McGeady's door. There is an easy way to sort this if your born in scotland/ england/ ireland/ south korea etc that is the country you play for, simple as!

McGeady and McCarthy should take a leaf out of Ryan Giggs' book!

So I take it that under your view that Maloney and Andy Goram shouldn't have/be playing for Scotland either. And what about Butcher? Under your logic he should never have played for England let alone captain them in a world cup!

And all this "blame at McGeady's door" nonsense, get bleeping over it for goodnasake.

Edited by Renegade

Mccarthy and mcgeady are scottish. As simple as that! McGeady has only just turned 22, why is he expecting to just waltz straight into the Scotland 1st team when he's 18/19. So He just plays for Ireland instead.

Maybe the Scottish FA in some way are to blame. But most of the blame is at McGeady's door. There is an easy way to sort this if your born in scotland/ england/ ireland/ south korea etc that is the country you play for, simple as!

McGeady and McCarthy should take a leaf out of Ryan Giggs' book!

Of the top of my head.....

Trezeget, Van Bronkhorst, Davids, Seedorf, Zidane, McCall, Gough, Goram, The white guy for Trinidad and Tobago, Thuram, Karembou, Owen Coyle, Ray Houghton, Tommy Coyne, Camronasi, Olisadebe, Kanoute, Jimmy Floyd, Maloney, Deco, Eusebio (if he hadn't, would he still be remembered as a great player? I doubt it!), Di Stefano (3 different countries I think!), Puskas, Hemdani (SPL's most under rated player?), Kompany, Mpenza, Mpenza, Hargreeves, Poldoski, Klose, Dhorasoo, Darren Gison, Phil Babb, Rossi, Adu, Senna, half the UK basketball team, the Ghurkas and 'The Edge' have all done a 'Mcgeady', and prospered. Giggs did a Giggs, played for Wales in the qualifiers, and pulled out of every Wales friendly he could. He regretted picking Wales, I'm sure of it. He played with Robbie Savage, whilst Hargreeves gets to play with Gerrard. Maybe Mcgeady would have played for Scotland if he didn't think he would have to play with **** like Ferguson. Who knows? Mcgeady WANTED to play for Scotland school boys but the SFA wouldn't LET him. Plus, with the way he gets treated for his desicion, he's hardly going to regret it is he?

P.S Whilst I realise that my spelling of some of the above names are nothing short of an assault on the English language, I hope my point still remains valid........

Yes Knowledge, I do think all the above players should be playing for their country of birth.

The only exception to the rule would be if the parents were serving for the armed forces and posted abroad at the time of birth.

I'm not saying this should happen or will happen, its just my opinion.

Yes Knowledge, I do think all the above players should be playing for their country of birth.

The only exception to the rule would be if the parents were serving for the armed forces and posted abroad at the time of birth.

Nonsense absolute nonsense. What if someone gave birth to a child in say Canada and then five minutes later moved over two the American side of the border, where the child lived for the rest of it's life? Surely if the child was born on say 5th March 1987 it would be more "American" than someone born on in America on say 1st January 2000. Where someone happens to pop out the womb is just plain pedantic nonsense.

Nonsense absolute nonsense. What if someone gave birth to a child in say Canada and then five minutes later moved over two the American side of the border, where the child lived for the rest of it's life? Surely if the child was born on say 5th March 1987 it would be more "American" than someone born on in America on say 1st January 2000. Where someone happens to pop out the womb is just plain pedantic nonsense.

That's exactly why a lot of people think international football is a farce... but I agree with Sir C the 3rd's post, ideally every player would play for the country they were born in but it's an impossible scenario because there are so many variables.

At the end of the day, its a toughie. I am Scottish with no other nationalities in my heritage. My wife is Canadian with both Scottish and Nigerian in her heritage so any child of ours would immediately qualify to play for Canada, Scotland or Nigeria regardless of the country they were born in.

Is a Scot any less Scottish because they live in another country ? Does the child of that Scot have any less Scottish heritage than the child of another nationality who was born or lives in Scotland ? Should a child born in Scotland to parents from elsewhere be forced to choose Scotland ? I don't think so. We are all in a melting pot and multi-culturalism is a reality so we have to deal with the fact that its not a simple black or white answer and that there will be shades of grey all along the way.

Personally, I would be happy (and proud) for any child of mine to represent any country they were eligible for and which they felt most affiliated with .... I would hope that would be Scotland, but at the end of the day it would not be up to me.

I have no problem in "Scots" being classed as Scots either through birth or through their parents or grandparents but would stop it there in terms of blood relations. I would however go further and say that anyone who has lived in Scotland for 'X' number of years could also be considered eligible if they have not been capped elsewhere. If a person is eligible to get UK citizenship, then they should be eligible to play for the nation within the UK they are living in.

Guest birdog

Why should the offspring of the armed services be the only exception? Many people end up moving country because the company they work for requires it. Should service personnel gain special treatment because the country pays their wages instead of a company? They knew they chances were that they would be stationed abroad, the same as any other person who chooses a job which may require that they leave the country for a period of time.

So I take it that under your view that Maloney and Andy Goram shouldn't have/be playing for Scotland either. And what about Butcher? Under your logic he should never have played for England let alone captain them in a world cup!

And all this "blame at McGeady's door" nonsense, get bleeping over it for goodnasake.

These are totaly different circumstances. Maloney was born in Maylasia to Scottish parents and moved back to Scotland when he was 5! So im guessing his parents worked over there for a while. Same situation with Butcher who was born in Singapore to English parents and moved back to England when he was a child. You can hardely say Maloney is Maylasian! Gorams father was scottish, not sure about his mother but she might have been as well. I have no problem with the parent rule but the grandparent rule i would do away with.

Mcgeady was born and raised in Scotland to parents both born in Scotland and grandparents on one side both Scottish. I think he has one grandparent who is Irish. His father also wanted him to play for Scotland, he is just your typical plastic paddy brainwashed weegie traitor.

Im in the RAF and if i was oversea's when my kids are born im my eyes they would still be scottish...

basicly, If a dogs born in a stable does it make it a horse????

Why should the offspring of the armed services be the only exception? Many people end up moving country because the company they work for requires it. Should service personnel gain special treatment because the country pays their wages instead of a company? They knew they chances were that they would be stationed abroad, the same as any other person who chooses a job which may require that they leave the country for a period of time.