FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Richie Foran May Stay

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

I was reading an article in the Inverness Courier which says Richie has said he may still be at ICT next season and reports that he had rejected the offer of a new contract is s****. He does state that SPL clubs thought to be Falkirk and St Johnstone are interested in him.

Thoughts?

Also reading through BBC Sport on the Setanta issue it mentions that 12 SPL member clubs are to be handed ?3million from the broadcaster but doesn't say what clubs they are. Are we one of the 12 or is it the 12 that will compete in next seasons SPL?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its the 12 who were waiting on the final payment of the season from Setanta - we will get around 50K.

According to one paper yesterday we have been paid our twelvth place reward. it said that all bottom six clubs had been paid after the split the equivalent of the bottom place. the rest were waiting on the individual placing differences. We could be waiting on the parachute payment though.

I would like Foran to stay, but at the risk of sounding negative (although, i call it realistic) I think the two offers from the SPL clubs (Falkirk and St Johstne) are bound to be far more appealing and/or more lucrative!

We can live in hope tho, as i believe should he choose to stay...he will be a key player next season!

Good to know he is still seriously thinking staying here. I also think that if he stays then it may encourage Kerr to stay as well. That would be really good.

If Foran stays (and I hope he does) it will have been for one reason and one reason only .... Terry Butcher. That is the one thing we have that Falkirk and St Johnstone cant offer him.

its the 12 who were waiting on the final payment of the season from Setanta - we will get around 50K.

According to one paper yesterday we have been paid our twelvth place reward. it said that all bottom six clubs had been paid after the split the equivalent of the bottom place. the rest were waiting on the individual placing differences. We could be waiting on the parachute payment though.

According to the chairman in one of the papers, cant mind which one, we were still waiting for our 50K. The 3m is to cover these payments so one way or another we will get, or may have already received that 50K. The parachute payment should bnot be affected by any Setanta shenanigans as that comes from the SPL and was not part of the TV money deal where each club gets a certain percentage.

If Foran stays (and I hope he does) it will have been for one reason and one reason only .... Terry Butcher. That is the one thing we have that Falkirk and St Johnstone cant offer him.

Do you really believe that playing in Div1 under TB is a preferable option to playing under John Hughes in the SPL?

I really do hope Foran stays but i fear he may yet still be off-ski

Just been reading that the SPL has paid all the clubs the Sentanta money we were all due, so know clubs well be left without the payment and the SPL well get the money from Sentanta in the next few days

dont know Richie, but he might be the type of 'selfish' player, or maybe not that word. of course everyone wants to better their career, but there are others who do it to be the big shot. Please stay!!

I also think he is due Butcher alot. Where would he be just now if he didnt come into Caley? Hes a great player, but being at ICT has really got him attention...so its Butcher's doing he has alot of interest from other clubs.

Do you really believe that playing in Div1 under TB is a preferable option to playing under John Hughes in the SPL?

Thats really two questions in one .....

Playing in Div 1 as opposed to the SPL should not be preferable for any player.

However ........... playing for TB, the man who discovered him while at Motherwell and brought him to Inverness and got decent performances out of him in both places may be preferable to playing for Yogi in Falkirk. What if Falkirk get relegated next season? ... they almost did this year. What if he doesnt respond to Yogi's style? What about the ICT curse?

Its a gamble and the answer will depend on a couple of factors I would have thought .... #1 is money. If he is motivated by that then he will be offski, no doubt. #2 is how much loyalty he has to TB and how well TB can make the case for how he sees next season going. If Butcher is setting the bar at going straight back up then maybe he will stay, but if the bar is set that we want a top half finish and be back up within two or three years then I would not blame him for looking elsewhere.

Richie calls the ICT offer "a decent offer"... that in itself gives me hope, perhaps their is less a ??? gulf than some might imagine. Also he says he is happy at ICT likes working under Butcher, Butcher brings out best in him.. hopefully this is worth more to him than say, and I'm wildly guessing , 25% more money.

Edited by kiltarlity

Thats really two questions in one .....

Playing in Div 1 as opposed to the SPL should not be preferable for any player.

However ........... playing for TB, the man who discovered him while at Motherwell and brought him to Inverness and got decent performances out of him in both places may be preferable to playing for Yogi in Falkirk. What if Falkirk get relegated next season? ... they almost did this year. What if he doesnt respond to Yogi's style? What about the ICT curse?

Its a gamble and the answer will depend on a couple of factors I would have thought .... #1 is money. If he is motivated by that then he will be offski, no doubt. #2 is how much loyalty he has to TB and how well TB can make the case for how he sees next season going. If Butcher is setting the bar at going straight back up then maybe he will stay, but if the bar is set that we want a top half finish and be back up within two or three years then I would not blame him for looking elsewhere.

I saw the last game of the season as a battle of wits between TB and Yogi...

There wasn't much doubt as to who the winner was!

I think/hope he stays as it will really help us in the 1st Division. Also from his point of view it may only be 1 season in the 1st Division if we win it. If not then he finds himself in the same position now - out of contract and will probably have offers from the SPL.

I saw the last game of the season as a battle of wits between TB and Yogi... There wasn't much doubt as to who the winner was!

In a tight 1-0 game there is always doubt but thats going off-topic and there are already a dozen threads dealing with the what ifs !

richie would be a massive boost for us playing in div1. he is the target man we need if we are to play the long ball with ronney/barrowman hopefully feeding off it. speaking to him after the kilmarnock game he was saying that he is enjoying his time here and was really beginning to feel apart of the club. heres hoping he continues to be apart of the club.

parachute payment comes from SPL.

i really hope Richie stays, as in the interview butcher gets the best out of him which would be good for us obviously

To reply to the above and to Scotty my understanding is the SPL Board is a company who administer the league on behalf of the member clubs. They control funding and distribute as and when required. The majority of what they administer comes from Setanta. They dont hold hoards of cash. Each member club has shares in the 'Board'. After administration costs and any commitments to others, such as SFA, monies left are what the teams recieve for league positions, parachute payments etc. If setanta fail to make their installment, or Clydesdale Bank fail in theirs then their is no money in the pot to distribute. So all payments, be they league position or parachute come, ultimately, from the sponsors. Not from the SPL