FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Sectarian songs?

DornochCaley

I agree that Songs about the IRA and such have no place at a football ground. But i dont think you arrest people or fine clubs for singing certain songs. Some songs are sectarian and racist but being a Celtic fan, i know that there are alot of songs classed as Sectarian and they are not.

Sectarianism is bigotry, discrimination or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion or the factions of a political movement.

If that is Sectarianism, why are so many songs stopped? Most songs that are sung at Celtic park which are classed as Sectarian are Praising men who fought and died. They remember those who died at the hands of oppressors. Those songs are not sectarian as they dont discriminated or talk about hatered of a Race.

It makes me laugh at times. I love Flower of Scotland. But this is worse than some of the songs classed as Sectarian. It talks about rising up against the English and stuff. Yet most Rebel songs are about Rememberance. I must concede some Loyalist songs are also about rememberance though most i have heard are about killing catholics and jumping on our heads.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most songs that are sung at Celtic park which are classed as Sectarian are Praising men who fought and died.

Yup.... for an Irish Nationalist, Catholic supported organisation which was fighting against a British, Protestant establishment.. and that ain't sectarianism???? :022: :lol:

Let's get real. Whatever Rangers and Celtic Football Clubs think about the situation themselves, there is absolutely no doubt that they have become very heavily encumbered with baggage representing the SECTARIAN Irish divide.

I really don't want to elaborate in detail, because I'd be here all day, the extent to which both football clubs have been hijacked by the respective sides of that divide. The result is that the polarised prejudices over religion and politics (ie sectarianism according to the definition given) frequently dominate the football.... hence Silly Songs on both sides.

(You've heard it so often coming from the South Stand in past seasons and you just ask.... "what IS this rubbish?")

And it's not just Rangers. I have frequently criticised and satirised Orangeism but the first thing I saw on my first visit to Celtic Park with my then 14 year old son was this guy in a Celtic scarf selling the Republican Resistance calendar in the stand. The same problem poisons both sides.

The tragedy is that this is fundamentally an IRISH problem of religious conflict which has been inflicted upon Scotland. (I think I included this one in another thread about the woes which organised religion has imposed on the world over the centuries.) And really, one side is just as bad as the other so, whilst despising Orangeism and all it stands for, I don't in any shape or form buy the "poor downtrodden Tims" sob story either. Equally there are a lot of not very nice Catholics out there as well.

As Mercutio said in 'Romeo and Juliet' - "a plague on BOTH your houses."

The problem is that all of this baggage is in turn dictating the nature of Scottish football inasmuch as two Glasgow clubs have become focal points for the two polarised political and religious extremes. That in turn has helped them to become so large that they have both acquired their own "critical masses" which draw in even more "support", leaving the rest of the Scottish game impoverished and under resourced.

So, apart from what I said about organised religion elsewhere, it is also ruining Scottish football.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I agree that Songs about the IRA and such have no place at a football ground. But i dont think you arrest people or fine clubs for singing certain songs. Some songs are sectarian and racist but being a Celtic fan, i know that there are alot of songs classed as Sectarian and they are not.

Sectarianism is bigotry, discrimination or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion or the factions of a political movement.

If that is Sectarianism, why are so many songs stopped? Most songs that are sung at Celtic park which are classed as Sectarian are Praising men who fought and died. They remember those who died at the hands of oppressors. Those songs are not sectarian as they dont discriminated or talk about hatered of a Race.

It makes me laugh at times. I love Flower of Scotland. But this is worse than some of the songs classed as Sectarian. It talks about rising up against the English and stuff. Yet most Rebel songs are about Rememberance. I must concede some Loyalist songs are also about rememberance though most i have heard are about killing catholics and jumping on our heads.

And there was me thinking you were a loyal ICT fan.

And yer signature says:

SFL=More Exciting than SPL.

Why? Because of the ugly sisters that are the Old Filth, that are ruining the 'Scottish' Game.

Yet here you are claiming to be a fan of one of them, and then trying to say they are not Sectarian?

Away ya go and take yer mouth for a sh**e.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that Alex! Mind you I had my doubts when I saw this post yesterday:

Got to be the best one. It looked certain to go for a draw. Not to mention its not often such a great goal is scored at home coupled with the fact it was last minute against "them".

Could've hidden his real allegiance a bit better :022:

I have been a Celtic fan my whole life. Family are From the East End of Glasgow and Catholics. But i dont doubt my support of Inverness. I have been supporting ICT since they where in the 2nd division. Do you not think its good that you have someone like me that has become and inverness fan instead of doing what most do and say "Ach ****** little team. I will stick with Celtic/Rangers"?

The SFL is more exciting. Look at it last year. There where only 7 points or so seperating top from bottom at the midway point of the season! Thats better than two teams that run away from the rest every year.

I do support Celtic yes, and there are plently of sectarianism which IS wrong. But the point im making is that ignorance in the SFA and the Goverment means that people are being banned from football games and even arrested for singing songs which are NOT sectarian. These songs, may they be rebels or Loyalist tunes. They cannot be counted as sectarian so i think that they should change it so atleast when poeple are arrested or charged for signing them its for a valed reason. Not the pish that the song is sectarian.

You'll see the light someday.

When Inverness Play Celtic. I admit. I am slightly on the Side of Celtic. But im not botherd if caley win. Im actually really happy for the team when they take something off Celtic. Atleast i dont wear a Celtic top to the game. I have seen scores of Rangers fans with Rangers tops under a Jumper at Rangers, Caley games.

Do you not think its good that you have someone like me that has become and inverness fan instead of doing what most do and say "Ach ****** little team. I will stick with Celtic/Rangers"?

But you are sticking with Celtic though, you've even admitted you still support them :lol:

Guest birdog

Yeah but i also support Caley. Most people who support an OF team up here dont want to support a little team like Inverness. So instead of supporting their Local team and Celtic/Rangers. They just stick with Celtic/Rangers.

Glad you chose ICT as your wee team but being from Dornoch, why not C*unty? Like most of the others around here when ICT were a division 2 team.

Yeah but i also support Caley. Most people who support an OF team up here dont want to support a little team like Inverness. So instead of supporting their Local team and Celtic/Rangers. They just stick with Celtic/Rangers.

Why don't you just support ICT?

Glad you chose ICT as your wee team but being from Dornoch, why not C*unty? Like most of the others around here when ICT were a division 2 team.

Because my Granny lives in Inverness and my Uncle used to take me to the Caley games when i was younger. They were 2nd divison at the time.

Why don't you just support ICT?

As thats completely rejecting my up bringing. I have been brought up a Celtic fans since day one. And when you have come so attached to a club like i have to Celtic, then its not easy to just stop supporting them.

Guest birdog

Because my Granny lives in Inverness and my Uncle used to take me to the Caley games when i was younger. They were 2nd divison at the time.

Nice one, it used to be murder up here being the only ICT fan but I see more and more ICT tops about. A breath of fresh air these days.

Nice one, it used to be murder up here being the only ICT fan but I see more and more ICT tops about. A breath of fresh air these days.

Its good. Me, Lachlan(DornochJaggie) and Tom(TtotheOtotheM) always walk around with our tops on. Everytime we walk past a County fan we like to remind them how ***** there team is.

As thats completely rejecting my up bringing. I have been brought up a Celtic fans since day one. And when you have come so attached to a club like i have to Celtic, then its not easy to just stop supporting them.

But surely by also supporting ICT you are "rejecting my upbringing" and you have quite easily stopped supporting them from time to time?