FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Laptop not playing Cds

SMEE

Hi folks. My laptop seems to have ceased playing cds. I have tried a few things without luck. When i try to copy a cd...it says No Supported Drive Detected. I cant even do a system restore, as it wont run the disc. Anyone have an idea as to what the deal is?

Have you a bootable disc (operating system/recovery disc ect), if so go into your bios and set laptop to boot from cd.

Put disc in and restart laptop. If it boots from cd, then your cd drive is ok and it's a software prob. If it dosen't then your cd drive has given up the ghost...(not uncommon), have you tried cleaning the lens of drive??

G

Edited by kiltarlity

I went on to the Microsoft free 15 min fix it thing......and suprise suprise.....they couldnt fix it in the 15 mins. But graham...you have given me an option. I will try and boot from my system restore disc to see if it runs. Its a registry problem according to the Microsft dude! Would take him 30 mins to fix it...and cost me $20

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I had the brainwave to try a system restore. Well....funnily enuff...that doesnt work...as it fails to restore to the earlier point. Honest to god. Am starting to see exactly why people slate microsoft!

I reckon its bloody microsoft updates the screwed my registry in the first place, coz its about the only thing apart from AVG that i updated!

Is there anyway i can do a factory restore, given that my DVD rom wont fire up?

Edited by SMEE

Au contraire DC....for i can now confirm...i fixed the issue myself. A lot of (educated) trial and error, a bit of gurning and a tad inginuity and Bobs yer uncle. Just shows....them charlatans at microsoft telling me duff info, telling me it would take them 30-45 mins to fix.....and not to mention COST me dosh. BEWARE!!!

Oh....it feels so good.....the world wasnt the same while my DVD rom wasnt working! Am a happy pup again (after hours of frustration)

Edited by SMEE

Au contraire DC....for i can now confirm...i fixed the issue myself. A lot of (educated) trial and error, a bit of gurning and a tad inginuity and Bobs yer uncle. Just shows....them charlatans at microsoft telling me duff info, telling me it would take them 30-45 mins to fix.....and not to mention COST me dosh. BEWARE!!!

Oh....it feels so good.....the world wasnt the same while my DVD rom wasnt working! Am a happy pup again (after hours of frustration)

What did you do to get it working again? It might be worth considering an investment in a new slimline drive...

I tried everything. I tried System restore (fat lot of good that was, as it wouldnt restore to any previous date). Basically, i used regedit, and a registry prog. did some tinkling, then uninstalled the DVD rom then rebooted. and it worked