FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Lack of home support

DoofersDad

Following last weeks great win there was much talk about the need for the fans to get right behind the team today in order to encourage the team to a first home league win this season. What happened? Has swine flu struck and caused everyone to lose their voices? Despite a great performance on the park there was only very sporadic half-hearted singing from the crowd. At times, there was almost complete silence. It was a strange atmosphere in the circumstances.

From where I was sitting (block E) the loudest chants seemed to be a rather unhelpful "lets all be negative" and a rather more entertaining "is this a fire drill?" at the end when some people were leaving the ground before the final whistle.

So there's 2 issues here.

Firstly, why do a small number of supporters make a lot of noise and provide constant vocal support away from home and then stay quiet during home matches? And why do so few people join in the chants and songs? Are they worried someone they know might see them? Worse still, some people don't even clap good football. I was sat behind four lads (late teens, I guess) - 2 of whom were wearing Caley colours - but apart from clapping the goals, I was not aware of them ever applauding anything else let alone give any vocal support. They didn't even applaud Rooney when he was subbed! How can we pursuade those who turn up to watch the team that is it actually not naff to support the team?

Secondly, why do so many people leave before the final whistle goes? What message does that give the team? If they are losing it suggests you have given up hope and if you are winning, why can you not stay to applaud the team at the end? It strikes me as rude. Some may have a weak bladder but for most I guess they just don't want to rub shoulders with the great unwashed in the crush to get out of the ground at the end. If that's the case, then how about waiting till the great unwashed have all gone.

The lack of support and atmoshere at home is getting embarassing and must impact on the team. What do others think?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following last weeks great win there was much talk about the need for the fans to get right behind the team today in order to encourage the team to a first home league win this season. What happened? Has swine flu struck and caused everyone to lose their voices? Despite a great performance on the park there was only very sporadic half-hearted singing from the crowd. At times, there was almost complete silence. It was a strange atmosphere in the circumstances.

From where I was sitting (block E) the loudest chants seemed to be a rather unhelpful "lets all be negative" and a rather more entertaining "is this a fire drill?" at the end when some people were leaving the ground before the final whistle.

So there's 2 issues here.

Firstly, why do a small number of supporters make a lot of noise and provide constant vocal support away from home and then stay quiet during home matches? And why do so few people join in the chants and songs? Are they worried someone they know might see them? Worse still, some people don't even clap good football. I was sat behind four lads (late teens, I guess) - 2 of whom were wearing Caley colours - but apart from clapping the goals, I was not aware of them ever applauding anything else let alone give any vocal support. They didn't even applaud Rooney when he was subbed! How can we pursuade those who turn up to watch the team that is it actually not naff to support the team?

Secondly, why do so many people leave before the final whistle goes? What message does that give the team? If they are losing it suggests you have given up hope and if you are winning, why can you not stay to applaud the team at the end? It strikes me as rude. Some may have a weak bladder but for most I guess they just don't want to rub shoulders with the great unwashed in the crush to get out of the ground at the end. If that's the case, then how about waiting till the great unwashed have all gone.

The lack of support and atmoshere at home is getting embarassing and must impact on the team. What do others think?

I'm glad you enjoyed the 'is this a fire drill' chants I was getting going. Picked that one up in Dundee when we drew 2-2.

In terms of the 'lets all boo the Caley' chants, we were singing them with a good dollop of sarcasm. And a lot of people leave early cos the club don't have stewards on the car park to direct the traffic.

I enjoyed the game today. Can't wait for the terracing next week.

6/12 so far. Here's for 12/12

The home support was actually up on normal for todays game....cancelling out the poor numbers from Morton.

I was also very surprised that we broke the 3000 mark given that the Shinty Hurling was on at the Bught, an event that is, and has been wells supported in the area for years.

In terms of the the level of vocal support from those who were there....this is something I monitor with great interest week to week and I would say that today was about the best the fans have been in about a year.

It's certainly not the best in the world, but it is improving and I have found that by just doing your thing and supporting the team then it does more to encourage others than coming on here moaning and bitching about them does.

Not having a go at you for expressing your view, you're entitled to do so, just offering up an alternative way of dealing with it.

I think you have to remember that, as its such a journey to the central belt from inverness, its quite a different support that go to the ICT home and away. I try and come up as much as i can, but there are times i cant but i do make sure i get to the away games. I try and make an effort for that as i know the away supports can be quite low. So it could be the difference in the people in the crowd about the singing.

I know what your saying about the unclapping, and i agree with you, i think it is rude. To not clap good football and shout support and applaud players, you would be aswell not being there.

I wouldnt like to think it is because it is "naff" to support ICTFC.

Having not been to a game this season as i am in england i have to rely on family to tell me what the games are like and my dad told me that the atmosphereat yesturdays game was a bit pish. The last game of last season (although a bad outcome) the crowd were absalutly incredible and the noise was immense. I know that on average the crowd is about half the size of that day but from what i hear, the noise is far lower than half of that day. The team has scored 9 goals in 2 games and is playing well, this should encourage more people to get more vocal and enjoy the games and have a good time. If the team is playing well and you just sit there and dont clap, sing and cheer then how is that going to make the players feel!!

I just hope i am deafend by the signing at the final

The home support is dire. Whenever the boys at the back of Section G start singing they just get growled at half the time.

When your away from home the majority of people look to get behind them team, and alcohol consumption helps it a bit aswell.

C*unty next week should be awesome. :lol:

The home support is dire. Whenever the boys at the back of Section G start singing they just get growled at half the time.

When your away from home the majority of people look to get behind them team, and alcohol consumption helps it a bit aswell.

C*unty next week should be awesome. :lol:

What's with this Section G obsession? Section E is where it's at. It's amusing people coming on talking about the atmosphere and singing when they didn't even attend the game.

I thought the atmosphere was ok yesterday. Not a patch on Ayr BUT as Iain? pointed out, all home supports are poor.

Edited by Top Six Next Year

Was the first league game i managed to get to in a long time yesterday....and i thought the suport was poor. When we scored, the celebrations were very reserved to say the least. As for the singing....I hear it about 4-5 times in the whole game. Admitedly...i was sat in the far left of the upper main stand. All in all....p1ss poor atmos!

Edited by SMEE

Oh dear................glad you enjoyed yersel smee, will you be back.

The area you were sitting in is the closest to the away fans. The atmo was no worse than other games and there was some singing/chanting going on. Get yersel into the North Stand, it's usually a bit rowdier, although the noise does not carry well from there.

We have njust had our two most positive results, yet people will still find something to take the hump with.

The home support was actually up on normal for todays game....cancelling out the poor numbers from Morton.

I was also very surprised that we broke the 3000 mark given that the Shinty Hurling was on at the Bught, an event that is, and has been wells supported in the area for years.

In terms of the the level of vocal support from those who were there....this is something I monitor with great interest week to week and I would say that today was about the best the fans have been in about a year.

Would you include the County game in that Don

Here, I don't know whats expected. I was down the front of section G and I really enjoyed the atmosphere (as well as the little gay fest all the players had at the front after the fourth goal). There was, for once, some witty banter going on and a good amount of chanting. It must be to do with where your sitting. I actually enjoyed yesterday and myself and my mum walked in late and assumed that Caley were a goal up because there was such a positive atmosphere. It was strange. Only thing that pissed me of was the taps in the toilets were to powerful and I got sprayed, but that's what I get for washing my hands.

Was the first league game i managed to get to in a long time yesterday....and i thought the suport was poor. When we scored, the celebrations were very reserved to say the least. As for the singing....I hear it about 4-5 times in the whole game. Admitedly...i was sat in the far left of the upper main stand. All in all....p1ss poor atmos!

Considering that part of the main stand is normally filled with intoxicated freeloaders and hangers on who have little or no interest in whats going on on the park I'm not surprised there's no atmosphere there. And, having been in that area , I know its near impossible to hear whats going on in the North stand

I knew you liked a drink Alex, but never had you down as a freeloader :lol:

I didn't have a drink. I was sat there because it was raining and I wanted a dry seat. There was some seats available up there. Missus and I got settled down then a dozen total erss's came out of hospitality and spoiled our game. We actually moved to the N stand for the second half.

I didn't have a drink. I was sat there because it was raining and I wanted a dry seat. There was some seats available up there. Missus and I got settled down then a dozen total erss's came out of hospitality and spoiled our game. We actually moved to the N stand for the second half.

Went to the North Stand for a bit of peace and quiet?

Went to the North Stand for a bit of peace and quiet?

*yawn*

Oh dear................glad you enjoyed yersel smee, will you be back.

The area you were sitting in is the closest to the away fans. The atmo was no worse than other games and there was some singing/chanting going on. Get yersel into the North Stand, it's usually a bit rowdier, although the noise does not carry well from there.

We have njust had our two most positive results, yet people will still find something to take the hump with.

Can you not differentiate between relaying an observation on a thread and taking the hump?

Only thing that pissed me of was the taps in the toilets were to powerful and I got sprayed, but that's what I get for washing my hands.

Happens to me every 2 weeks, although I feel I'm getting close to devise a plan to prevent this while staying germ free. ;) :lol::lol:

Edited by Iain

Detol gel its the future, i have a wee tub with me everywhere i go, lets face it, you wash your hands and leave.. you have just touched everyone who doesnt wash here hands ****, so the wee tub awsome, wash your hands, then gee your hands a wee gelling on the way back,, clean clean clean..

The gel is a truly excellent idea. I try and time it so someone else opens the door and I sneak out behind them.

A wee bit off topic but the home support could show a wee bit more of a community spirit by making sure they 'sort' themselves out so everything is going in the right direction. The amount of damp concrete below the urinals forces me to stand further back than I would like to, just to keep my Sambas dry. Come on, who is it that is causing this? I believe it was because of the amount of human moisture on the floor at the 1980 old firm Scottish cup final that forced the ban on drinking at games. Everyone was far to careless at that game and it led to a terrible mess.

I mind peeing on the wall at Telford Street when we had St Johnston at home and mine to lads laughing and saying, here this crowd want in the Scottish.... oh if only they knew then... oh and they didnt wash there hands eather, (the tolets in the Main Stand that was)