FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Youth

Tug

Am i alone in feeling some concern and a slight de-ja-vu regarding the showing of our youth in the pre season

have we not had in recent years players such as Zander sutherland, Iain Vigurs and to an extant Rory Mcallister whoi have shone in pre season yet come the games that actually matter they have failled to live up to the hype or they have not been trusted enough to play... barring an odd sub appearance here and there ( Which under Brewster maybe if they were lucky meant they got to double figures in minutes) they werent all they cracked up to be...are we heading down the same road with Sutherland Shinnie and to a lesser extent Ross (who had a good stint deputising in attack last year IIRC )

Ross, Shane Sutherland and Shinnie all have enough promise, and have done well enough so far. Nick Ross impressed a lot early last season, Shane did fine at a very poor Elgin on loan, and Shinnie shone at Forres and has been solid enough so far. Confident each will prove good squad members this season.

Am i alone in feeling some concern and a slight de-ja-vu regarding the showing of our youth in the pre season

have we not had in recent years players such as Zander sutherland, Iain Vigurs and to an extant Rory Mcallister whoi have shone in pre season yet come the games that actually matter they have failled to live up to the hype or they have not been trusted enough to play... barring an odd sub appearance here and there ( Which under Brewster maybe if they were lucky meant they got to double figures in minutes) they werent all they cracked up to be...are we heading down the same road with Sutherland Shinnie and to a lesser extent Ross (who had a good stint deputising in attack last year IIRC )

I completely agree with that, Although i did think Vigurs was a player we should have hung onto. We've even had players from a few years ago that at the time looked really good. Tony Low used to do well coming off the bench and i still don't understand why he was released while Darren Thomson was kept on. Lewis McKinnon was another who i seem to recall banging them in during a pre season, only for him to swap to a defensive position and play for someone like Nairn or Forres. Its rare that a youth player can break through and establish himself in a first team line up but heres hoping one of our boys this year has what it takes.