FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Best ever Caley game

dan_ict

Exactly what it says on the tin, whats your all time favourite Caley game ?

Mine was Hearts away, We won 3-2 with Graham Bayne scoring a 90th minute winner after their keeper was sent off. Great game :twothumbsup:

Getting beat 4-3 by Livingston, for which i think i am correct in saying was the 2nd Division Title Decider, on a glorious day, on the 1st may 1999. Bill Leckie reported in The Sun on the monday, that one day he would write a book about the 10 greatest games he has ever seen. He went on to say that this game would be in there. It had it all. i remember my mates looking at me in a startled fashion when i declared about 20 mins into the game...at 4-0 down...that the game wasnt over yet. Just a faantastic day out all round!!

I also remember aa thrilling midweek game against Dundee in the league cup at Telford st. I cant recall the score that night, just remember feeling thaat i had been really entertained. Also used to love playing Ross County, back in the days of Iain Stewart, when he would regularly make an ass out of the county keeper by scoring the most amazing goals

Guest Mahonio

Out of the 3 which i have attended, the Dundee game is the best for the atmosphere alone but also because of the result and title party afterwards, in fact i stayed at the ground a lot longer than i usually do :twothumbsup: .

If it is any Caley game the OP is talking about then i say it was the Ibrox 1-0 win or the Tannadice 4-0 win as both were totally unexpected.

Edited by Mahonio

the title decider the first time we got promoted from the first division was great then we had to wait for the trophy to make its way to inveress seeing it fly over the park to wherever it landed all added up to a proper big day atmosphere thouroughly enjoyable

dundee game was brilliant as it we added insult to injury by beating them after winning the title from them a couple weeks previous then pitch invading now they are on the verge of administration thanks to us

and the aberdeen game was brilliant aswell

cant choose between the first 2 though

Getting beat 4-3 by Livingston, for which i think i am correct in saying was the 2nd Division Title Decider, on a glorious day, on the 1st may 1999. Bill Leckie reported in The Sun on the monday, that one day he would write a book about the 10 greatest games he has ever seen. He went on to say that this game would be in there. It had it all. i remember my mates looking at me in a startled fashion when i declared about 20 mins into the game...at 4-0 down...that the game wasnt over yet. Just a faantastic day out all round!!

I also remember aa thrilling midweek game against Dundee in the league cup at Telford st. I cant recall the score that night, just remember feeling thaat i had been really entertained. Also used to love playing Ross County, back in the days of Iain Stewart, when he would regularly make an ass out of the county keeper by scoring the most amazing goals

I second that. 4-3 Livi was amazing, I think we ended up gettng beat by Forfar in our last game anyway so even if we won against livi we probably wouldn't have won the league.

OK... if you want "exactly what it says on the tin".... the 2 all draw with St. Johnstone at Telford Street in February 1992.

However if Caley Thistle games are allowed to be included, it would for me be a dead heat between two 4-3 scorelines - the already referred to defeat at Livingston in the Second Division and a 4-3 victory against Ayr United in Inverness, coming from 3-0 down.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Disagree 1

OK... if you want "exactly what it says on the tin".... the 2 all draw with St. Johnstone at Telford Street in February 1992.

However if Caley Thistle games are allowed to be included, it would for me be a dead heat between two 4-3 scorelines - the already referred to defeat at Livingston in the Second Division and a 4-3 victory against Ayr United in Inverness, coming from 3-0 down.

it might have been a loss but the 4-3 loss to aberdeen in inverness was a big high for excitement...that was a good game for everything except the result

For me, beating Clyde 2-1 down at Broadwood was a rollercoaster of emotions and was effectively the day we won the First Division first time round (although not mathematically). I remember David Bingham keeping the ball in the corner for about 5 minutes, trying to run the clock down. We had a great crowd down that day too and the reactions and celebrations at the end of the game were brilliant.

For me, beating Clyde 2-1 down at Broadwood was a rollercoaster of emotions and was effectively the day we won the First Division first time round (although not mathematically). I remember David Bingham keeping the ball in the corner for about 5 minutes, trying to run the clock down. We had a great crowd down that day too and the reactions and celebrations at the end of the game were brilliant.

Another classic! SFL games have always been my favourite matches but we've had some amazing cup wins and draws as well. For SPL matches, beating Hibs 3-0 was probably my most memorable.

Definately the first game I went to. A season or 2 before we got promoted the first time against QOS at home. 5-3 with a Paul Ritchie hat-rick and Robson getting the other 2. One from lobbing Andy Goram. Barry ran the show that day, was so far in front of everyone else that day it was ridiculous, Bloody exciting and nerve racking, remember them getting 2 players sent-off yet it still wasn't a certainty we would win. Ahhh can't beat 10 man attacks. Pele is god.

Beating Rangers the first time at Ibrox was great aswell. It was great watching the Rangers fans sour faced leaving giving us the fingers etc. as we were held back 10 minutes to let them all clear off.

Edited by Iain

We played them twice in our first season ..... I have a feeling you mean the second game. It was great, very exciting !!! also my first ever experience of hospitality as I was an official representative of the sponsors that night ! How times have changed from then when it was a portakabin arrangement in the NW corner of the ground with CT officials going round pouring rather large measures straight out of a bottle :twothumbsup:

http://stats.caleythistleonline.com/matchdetails.php?id=111

http://stats.caleythistleonline.com/matchdetails.php?id=118

for me there are so many highs .....

I think the best loss I have ever experienced was that 4-3 game at Livingston. It was as good as Bill Leckie's eloquent description.

The Ayr game that Charles refers to was also good. It was in the Pele days when even at 0-3 down at HT you knew we could still come back ... and we did. The 7-3 game against Ayr just a few weeks later was also a brilliant one.

Beating Celtic at Celtic park on Feb8 2000 has to rank up there as one of the best too. It is now folklore and with the headline that followed it was THE result that put us firmly on the Scottish football map. Having said that, I preferred the atmosphere at the Hearts game at Tynecastle a couple of years later .... pi**ing rain and a large group of us belting out Travis at the end of the game was so much fun.

Since moving over here, I would have to say that any time I get home to see any match in person is now a real high for me ... win, lose or draw, and until my last trip home I had not seen us lose (in person) since emigrating.

Clach beating Caley 5-0 at Telford Street in semi final replay of NoS Cup or something like that.

Alan Stevenson tore the Caley back line a new one, so much so that Presslie was subbed before half time.

giruy

it might have been a loss but the 4-3 loss to aberdeen in inverness was a big high for excitement...that was a good game for everything except the result

3-2 win over Celtic, just a game that had absolutely everything.

4-3 win over Raith last season, was my 18th birthday and Foran's overhead was an epic ending to an epic game.

Title clincher vs St Johnstone in 2004 was another fabulous game.

last but not least is the 3-1 win at Parkhead in 2000. " A night to remember"

I think it would be pretty had to choose just one game since I've had many :biggrin:

• Ayr Utd 0-7 Caley
  • Caley 3-2 Celtic
  • Caley 3-1 St Johnston
  • Caley 6-0 Gretna
  • Caley 2-1 Rangers (Christmas a few years back)

I second that. 4-3 Livi was amazing, I think we ended up gettng beat by Forfar in our last game anyway so even if we won against livi we probably wouldn't have won the league.

You've got the wrong season. Livi won the title at Forfar, we had a 1-1 draw at home to Alloa. But you're right, we wouldn't have won it anyway, although we probably would have if we had something to play for :biggrin:

A couple of things I remember. Against Alloa Spider Stewart scored a second half equaliser for us which meant we scored in all 36 league matches.

Also we passed the Livi team bus on the M90 and my mate Dougie, in the passenger seat, lazily flicked them a v-sign, which was returned by Ray Stewart sitting in the front of the coach.

The Forfar game was 2 years before when we walked away with div 3, but lost 0-4 at home on the final day which meant our wee neighbours didn't go up.

My favourite ever game? Hundreds of them but I'd maybe go for winning at Tynecastle in 2002 in the Cup. What a great Pele team that was.

Thanx for that Scotty. I can now confirm...it was the 1.1 draw (3-4 on penalties to dundee) that i was reffering to. Wee Davie Brennan was IMMENSE that night. Won pretty much every ball in the air. Funny how my fave games are defeats for us....cue DalneighCaley and his Celtic supporter theory :nanananana:

Where to start?!

The 8-1 victory against Annan Athletic in 1998

The 4-3 loss against Livingston in 1999.

3-1 against Celtic in 2000.

3-1 against Hearts in 2002.

The Ayr United maulings.

The double headers against Clyde and St Johnstone in 2004.

Every other OF victory along with February 8th.

The 3-0 win against County in season 96/97. Barry Wilsons first game against County since joining Caley. His dad had been sacked by County a few months earlier and Barry was on a revenge mission.... ran from our half for a good 40 yards before crossing to Ian Stewart who chipped the ball over Hutchisons head at edge of box to make it 3... a perfect game and a championship season!:twothumbsup: