FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

John Robertson

RossP

Mantis I heard that they had moved to another park named New Bayview and today I also heard that some influential people are thinking of bulding a brand new stadium with all sorts of facilities in Methil. I can't help wondering what businesses would be successful in Methil? It was guy dour in the past. Would it be a smallish strip mall like they have in Canada or would it be a big and brash stadium with all the accoutrements. I am sure if Scotty sent an email to John Robertson he would tell us what was going on there. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Anyway, some of the best end -to -end games I ever saw were held there and so I at least have some fond memories.

In case anyone is interested, I was in my early twenties at that time. My second child was born in that house that I described --at about 4 o'clock in the morning. I remember vividly racing along Bowling Green Street in my pyjamas and dressing gown (oops, sorry, my robe)to get the midwife who lived at the other end of the street and breathlessly blurting out to a very sleepy-eyed wifey ..." Mrs So and So, can you come now she's having the baby."

Does anybody else remember the night we won on pens at Bayview in the Scottish? We were in div 3 and they were in 2. They dominated us for most of the game and a certain cocky player manager took himself off with 15 mins remaining, thinking the game was won.

Cue Alan Hercher with a last minute equaliser.

Wasn't there but remember it well! Think it might even have been a 93rd minute equlaiser. Next round Stenhousemuir away - 1-0 Brian Thomson screamer. Next round QF Rangers at Tannadice.

But was there not a Scottish Cup second replay or something like that at Methil for Caley (sic) in the 80s against Stirling or Berwick...Urquhart header? Alex Smith manager of opposing team. Rangers in the next round... so it must have been 1984??

I remember seeing a documentary on TV about devoted footy fans and there was a peice following an East Fife supporter who lived in Hertfordshire or thereabouts and who went to all the home games. His journey required him to get to Luton Airport from where he took a flight to Edinburgh and then the train or bus to Methil. On the day they filmed him there was driving sleet and a game to match. He decided he was so cold he couldn't wait till half time to get his hot pie - there wasn't a long queue so he returned pretty quickly but in his time away, he missed East Fife's only goal. I hope the club appreciated his dedication because his long suffering wife ceertainly didn't. Hopefully Robbo will give him something to make the journeys worthwhile.

I remember seeing a documentary on TV about devoted footy fans and there was a peice following an East Fife supporter who lived in Hertfordshire or thereabouts and who went to all the home games. His journey required him to get to Luton Airport from where he took a flight to Edinburgh and then the train or bus to Methil. On the day they filmed him there was driving sleet and a game to match. He decided he was so cold he couldn't wait till half time to get his hot pie - there wasn't a long queue so he returned pretty quickly but in his time away, he missed East Fife's only goal. I hope the club appreciated his dedication because his long suffering wife ceertainly didn't. Hopefully Robbo will give him something to make the journeys worthwhile.

I've seen this chap quite a few times when I've flown up from Luton to Edinburgh to watch ICT. Its quite surprising how many fans of Scottish teams fly from the London area up to Glasgow/Edinburgh/Prestwick on a regular basis. Mostly OF of course but quite a few others as well.