FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Caledonian Scarf?

SMEE

Anyone tell me anything about this? Im a bit perplexed about the badge. Sorry, but cant get a bigger image at the mo, as i put it on my facebook profile, and as per usual...Facebook is playing up and not displaying the image correctly. Does anyone remember these, from the 70s? Im planning selling it on ebay 250955_2071835071455_1112227647_32462988_4408120_s.jpg

Edited by SMEE

I think SMEE's scarf pre-dates the centenary celebrations and would guess it's from the late seventies/early eighties - I'm pretty sure the crest was a generic football one rather than specific to Caley. I swopped my centenary scarf with a Genoa fan at Italia 90 - was more than happy at the time but kind of wish I'd held onto it. I also had the caley school bag mentioned by OCG above - a quality piece of pre-merger memorabilia.

I think SMEE's scarf pre-dates the centenary celebrations and would guess it's from the late seventies/early eighties - I'm pretty sure the crest was a generic football one rather than specific to Caley. I swopped my centenary scarf with a Genoa fan at Italia 90 - was more than happy at the time but kind of wish I'd held onto it. I also had the caley school bag mentioned by OCG above - a quality piece of pre-merger memorabilia.

I agree with ymip, im pretty sure i had this up on my bedroom wall quite a time before 1986. I reckon its late 70's. Ironically...you cant make it out in the pic really...but at the top of the design, right in the middle, is a ...................THISTLE! :biggrin:

Coz, incase it escaped your notice....ICT roots were Caledonian FC and Inverness Thistle. So stop trying to create a situation where there isnt one

Edited by SMEE
  • Agree 2

ICT roots were Caledonian FC and Inverness Thistle.

I have to agree completely with SMEE here. As far as I am concerned Inverness Thistle FC, Caledonian FC and ICTFC are all part of one continuous history. The Mods may disagree but my own view is that it is completely appropriate to celebrate the history of the two merger partners on this ICT forum.

In fact I think that such a practice is very much to be encouraged as long as it is done in a positive way which it more or less invariably is. It's a definite asset to be able to remember a past of which a lot of ICT's older fans are rightly proud and should remain so.

I actually hesitated there for a moment as to whether I should use the word "older" and concluded that I had perhaps better since it is now 17 years since these Highland League teams actually played.

In fact I noticed with interest when Liam Polworth came on for these few seconds against Hibs at the end of the season, at that point he became the first player to appear for ICT who had been born AFTER the club was founded.

Then at the other end of the scale we have the question of the oldest person who has played for Caley Thistle. In terms of oldest at the time of playing, I've forgotten whether that accolade goes to Jimmy Calder or Craig Brewster. But what I actually mean is the oldest person at this moment in time who has pulled on an ICT strip, it has to be Billy Urquhart who will hit 55 later this year.

16-54... that's a fair range for a club which is only 17 years old!

Also... are the Polworths perhaps also the first father and son to have played for the "Caledonian and Thistle Tradition" since ICT was founded? I have a feeling that someone will come up with another example here!

Anyway... apologies for digressing there.

I'll just conclude by saying that I think that the scarf in the OP does have that "70s" look about it and it also seems to be a generic blue football scarf on which the name "Caledonian" has been printed... beneath the Thistle!" :smile:

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 4

Also... are the Polworths perhaps also the first father and son to have played for the "Caledonian and Thistle Tradition" since ICT was founded? I have a feeling that someone will come up with another example here!

Am i right in thinking Ex ICT player Martin Bavidge is the son of (the rather gifted) Ex Caley player Mitch Bavidge?

Am i right in thinking Ex ICT player Martin Bavidge is the son of (the rather gifted) Ex Caley player Mitch Bavidge?

You are completely right SMEE. I had a funny feeling someone would come up with an example which would predate the Polworths!

To anyone that may be interested, the Scarf is now on ebay. Im not sure if Im allowed to provide a link, but until such times as i am told otherwise, the item can be found here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150614276096#ht_500wt_1156

Not doing great so far. 99p as at 1900 Saturday. :irritated: Maybe it's the Thistle on it that's suppressing the value. :laugh:

To anyone that may be interested, the Scarf is now on ebay. Im not sure if Im allowed to provide a link, but until such times as i am told otherwise, the item can be found here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150614276096#ht_500wt_1156

Not doing great so far. 99p as at 1900 Saturday. :irritated: Maybe it's the Thistle on it that's suppressing the value. :laugh:

Theres a handfull of people watching it tho....hopefully they will all bid against each other and help me pay of some of my debts :P

You are completely right SMEE. I had a funny feeling someone would come up with an example which would predate the Polworths!

I'm sure I read somewhere that Jim Calder and his son Nial were both in the same squad once, in fact I think they sat on the same bench.

Niall Calder

According to this link, Niall Calder sat on the bench with his dad for a game against Partick in 2002. He was 15 at the time.*

* - That also leads me on to mention that a couple of seasons ago, a player (now disappeared by the looks of things) named Connor Rennie was mentioned in the press as the youngest ever player to be part of the ICT squad at 16. If the info about Niall Calder is true, then this accolade is then false.

Think his nickname was Nero??..can't remember his first name

Em...Neros first name was Alex too but he was from the western Isles...not Skye...unless he moved...which is perfectly conceivable :)

Think his nickname was Nero??..can't remember his first name

Em...Neros first name was Alex too but he was from the western Isles...not Skye...unless he moved...which is perfectly conceivable :)

Nero was from Ness on the north tip of Lewis. In terms of the youngest player actually to take the field for ICT, I think that accolade is definitely Polworth's. In fact I'm sure Ian Broadfoot confirmed it after the Hibs game.