FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

New Dores Road Tescos.

What about school cafeterias Charles?

You must have been subjected to some well ropey scran in these places over the years, or maybe there have been unexpected gems among the chips, beans, and stewed apples?

School cafes? The one at Inverness Royal Academy is first class and our dinner ladies are wonderful :biggrin: (and I'm not just saying that to get bigger portions should one of them read this.)

Good food... good helpings... service with a smile so I always put vodka in their direction on the odd occasion I see any of them in the Social Club.

School dinners at the Royal Academy have not, however, always been so.

For many years, we had a grim Aberdonian lady whose portions entirely squared with her place of origin. (Sorry Donview if your 40 years on the wrong side of the Grampians has led you to empathise with the natives.) She used to spend her life at the front counter dishing out meagre helpings and when she eventually ran out, you would get the inevitable cry of "CHUUUUPS!!"

I got so fed up with her undersized helpings of "chuuups", which were obviously well under the stated 4 oz (113g), that I took mine upstairs to my lab and weighed them on a chemical balance.

I then came back down and said to her "Mrs ******, your portion of chips weighs 86 grams so is almost 25% underweight."

I never had any problem after that.

Donview... wine buff in the Thornbush! Well there's a real oxymoron, unless you're talking about Four Crown. No, I have to say that my libations have never caused me to foray more deeply into the Merkinch than the (late) Clach Club. And at least your bafflement which many Invernessians have shared over the years can now be tempered by news that the new store is making rapid progress opposite the Gaelic School with the foundations already well advanced.

For many years, we had a grim Aberdonian lady whose portions entirely squared with her place of origin. (Sorry Donview if your 40 years on the wrong side of the Grampians has led you to empathise with the natives.) She used to spend her life at the front counter dishing out meagre helpings and when she eventually ran out, you would get the inevitable cry of "CHUUUUPS!!"

I got so fed up with her undersized helpings of "chuuups", which were obviously well under the stated 4 oz (113g), that I took mine upstairs to my lab and weighed them on a chemical balance.

I then came back down and said to her "Mrs ******, your portion of chips weighs 86 grams so is almost 25% underweight."

I just wanted to say that this cracked me up, especially the "CHUUUUPS!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

What about school cafeterias Charles?

You must have been subjected to some well ropey scran in these places over the years, or maybe there have been unexpected gems among the chips, beans, and stewed apples?

School cafes? The one at Inverness Royal Academy is first class and our dinner ladies are wonderful :biggrin: (and I'm not just saying that to get bigger portions should one of them read this.)

Good food... good helpings... service with a smile so I always put vodka in their direction on the odd occasion I see any of them in the Social Club.

School dinners at the Royal Academy have not, however, always been so.

I would bet Mrs Chuuups had her revenge many times over Charles, by means of the (alleged) old Hilton Chipper-style "special vinegar".

Edited by dougiedanger

I just wanted to say that this cracked me up, especially the "CHUUUUPS!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I married one and that's probably why I've never escaped all this time............her chuuups are fine though !!

I really need to catch up Charles, totally unaware Asda made it eventually...........BTW, is the Thornbush still open? :smile:

I really need to catch up Charles, totally unaware Asda made it eventually...........BTW, is the Thornbush still open? :smile:

Where have you been Donview? (Apart from Aberdeen. :biggrin: ) There is now a massive and ever increasing hole in the ground opposite the Gaelic School. It also looks to me as if Roddy Ross has been doing all right out of it because his lorries have been very evident on site since the very start. The shop is, I understand, due to open in September 2012.

The Thornbush? I take it you are having a laugh?

Next time you are in the Social Club post match I will update you on what has been happening in Inversneck since the Battle of Culloden.

And dougiedanger.... fortunately back in the days when "chuuups" were a regular feature of school dinners, they weren't served with vinegar - "special" or otherwise.

I couldn't speak more highly of the Hil'on Chupper. Excellent product, one of the cheapest in Inverness, service with a smile from Caley D's brother Mike. In fact my daughter worked there for a couple of years when she was in school and Mike Guibarelli was an excellent employer.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

WOW....is Mike still in Hilton Chippy? He has been at that business close to 25 yrs? I m sure he used to work at Guiberellis chippy in the Bught...way back in the day, when he was still at school?

Where have you been Donview? (Apart from Aberdeen. :biggrin: ) There is now a massive and ever increasing hole in the ground opposite the Gaelic School. It also looks to me as if Roddy Ross has been doing all right out of it because his lorries have been very evident on site since the very start. The shop is, I understand, due to open in September 2012.

The Thornbush? I take it you are having a laugh?

Next time you are in the Social Club post match I will update you on what has been happening in Inversneck since the Battle of Culloden.

And dougiedanger.... fortunately back in the days when "chuuups" were a regular feature of school dinners, they weren't served with vinegar - "special" or otherwise.

I couldn't speak more highly of the Hil'on Chupper. Excellent product, one of the cheapest in Inverness, service with a smile from Caley D's brother Mike. In fact my daughter worked there for a couple of years when she was in school and Mike Guibarelli was an excellent employer.

Been taking this "catch up" thing seriously Charles, came up last night and been sitting at mother's all morning going through yesterday's Courier with a fine tooth comb. Did note a young member of the Bannerman clan did well in the inaugural 1 mile event at the bught........would that be your grandaugter by any chance :tongueincheek: See you in the social club tonight to celebrate our first three points of the season :twothumbsup:

See you in the social club tonight to celebrate our first three points of the season :twothumbsup:

Well at least he was half right. I did see him in the Social Club. But at least I was able to update him on a few things apart from Asda getting started which have happened in Inverness since he left - such as the arrival of the railways and the building of a canal. :biggrin:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

• 2 weeks later...

See you in the social club tonight to celebrate our first three points of the season :twothumbsup:

Well at least he was half right. I did see him in the Social Club. But at least I was able to update him on a few things apart from Asda getting started which have happened in Inverness since he left - such as the arrival of the railways and the building of a canal. :biggrin:

The one thing i can't get my head around Charles is the popularity of this "Butcher" chappie down the dump.......especially after all the havoc he created at Culloden :confused::tongueincheek: