Bounce matches

Alex MacLeod

I think they are becoming more frequent now that there is no reserve league

Given the amount of players returning from injury or looking to improve match fitness then i think its a good idea

I was dissapointed when the SPL scrapped the reserve league system as it was a great way to keep fringe players match fit, help injured players gain fitness and also blood youngsters against SPL quality

• Agree 1

The problem with "bounce games" is that they are non-competitive in the meaning that there are agreements regarding any zealous tackling etc., and therefore they are a bit like a training game - probably even less contact. That can show up the skilful player in a good light but doesnt add to committment etc.

What they should do is to allow the team to look at different systems, trying out squad players and trying out dead ball moves etc. It really doesnt make up for the loss of the reserve leagues. The positives are that the games are be played against SPL opposition.

For instance if Sutherland and McKay scored against Midden should that be a precursor to a SPL start ?