FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Who should stay and who should go?

AJS

Now that we know what league we will be in next year its time to see who gets hired and fired for next season. My thoughts are...

For next season i would aim to keep - Esson, Tuffey, Tokely, Gillet, Tansey, OT Jones, Hayes (if he wants to stay) and Tade

McKay is open to debate but imo deserves another season and Piermayr as cover if required.

Proctor is most certainly for the bin and we have 3 loan players returning to their parent clubs respectively. Though it would be superb if we could retain Golobart.

So with Foran, Hogg, Meekings, Sutherland, Doran The Shinnies, Morrison and Ross already signed up for next season that would give us a playing pool of around 20 players come Pre Season time assuming everyone stays and leave us short of about 5 or 6 players.

Whats everyone thinking? Are you happy with retaining most of the team or are you expecting another overhaul?

The frustrating thing is that when you look at that list on paper then it makes you think that all we really need to do is add a goalscorer.

Despite what the results may show, I think this squad started the season better than they finished it. I think a variety of things knocked the stuffing/heart out of them over the course of the campaign and our weakness was in not being able to deal with the hits and blows.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they lost their bottle, but the last few weeks there's been a feel about things which some have put down to lack of effort, but could just as easily be a lack of self belief or a feeling of "what's the point?" because no matter what they do they haven't been getting fair return.

I stick by the opinion that our biggest mistake this year was hyping up expectation by talking about top 6 before we even got out of the traps. I get the whole ambition thing and the need to get the players fired up but you can motivate people without filling their heads with sh*t. The more we slipped away from that goal the worse the performances got and the more irate fans got....a recipe for disaster as it set us up for early failure (failure to meet the target) and only served to add additional, unneeded, pressure.

I'm not going to pick out individual players because I think every one in the current squad is capable in terms of footballing ability and the decision is probably more to do with keeping the players who are mentally strong to bounce back from this season and start afresh from next season....but I say again, PLEASE CAN WE KEEP THE EXPECTATIONS REAL AND NOT HANDICAP OURSELVES FROM THE OUTSET.

• Agree 1

Motherwell 3 ICT 0 - 23/07/2011

ICT 0 Hibernian 1 - 20/07/2011

ICT 3 Dumbfarmlife 3 - 06/08/2011

ICT 0 Rangers 2 - 13/08/2011

Aberdeen 2 ICT 1 - 20/08/11

Ayr 1 ICT 0 - 24/08/2011

Having watched the "shambles" of the pre season performances and the tactics, formations and performances of the above - on 25/08/2011 I began to fear for our season and awaited CHANGE.

Still feckin waiting with forlorn hope that some sort of "pressure" will bring about change in 2012-2013.

• Agree 2

Out of all of those who are out of contract at the end of the season -

Those I'd offer a new deal -

Esson - Most consistent player in the team. A must keep.

Tokely - Old and slow yes, but still reliable and seems to still be one of the few of really cares about the club.

Gillet - Seems solid enough to me. I like him.

McKay - Works hard, but needs a Rooney character alongside him. He is not a lone striker.

Tade - Hardest working player to ever wear an ICT shirt. Like McKay, needs someone to work alongside.

Hayes - For obviously reasons...

Tuffey - A good keeper, but supposedly on one of the biggest wages at the club. Would probably offer him a deal, but I suspect he'll be away.

Those I'd perhaps offer a new deal -

Owain Tudur Jones - A good ball player and international, but is apparently earning the biggest wage at the club this season and for his record with injuries, is he really worth keeping when he isn't available for large parts of the season?

Greg Tansey - Can't think of the last time I came away from game and thought he'd played well. Flatters to deceive most of the time and is often nothing more than a passenger. Is perhaps worth offering a new deal, as he maybe has "something", will we ever see it though?

Thomas Piermayr - In and out the squad. Perhaps re-signing as a back up.

Those I'd punt -

David Proctor - Rubbish and has been for years.

Claude Gnakpa - Lazy and already (thankfully) gone.

Of the loanees -

Roman Golobart - A great defender who'll play at the top level IMO. I'd try and sign him again next season, or even on a real deal is he becomes available.

Steve Williams - He's steady most of the time. Certainly could do worse.

Sam Winnall - Another Steve Watt/Aiden Chippendale/Alex MacDonald, never had a chance and will probably not be seen again.

Players that must stay

Esson

Tokely

Tade

Hayes

Tuffey

Tansey

We need to get Golobart too, looks a good player IMO

The fact we have many young talent on deals still like Sutherland, Shinnies, Ross, Morrison is good news along with Foran, Dorran, Hogg who add some quailty and experience.

Add in a good central defender, a striker who has a proven scoring record - look at the other SPL teams like St Midden with Thompson, Moatherwell - Higdon, St J - Sandaza, if we can find someone to score 15 - 20 a year we will improve.

Bye bye

Gillet & MacKay - had plenty oppertunities this year and failed to deliver. Gillet has made a lot of mistakes in the games I've seen and MacKay giving a goal return of 3 in 22 isnt good enough - players like Barrowman and Rory have been slated on here for similar, so not sure why so many hold MacKay in high regard.

Tudur Jones

Piermayr

Proctor

Williams

Winall

Gillet & MacKay - had plenty oppertunities this year and failed to deliver. Gillet has made a lot of mistakes in the games I've seen and MacKay giving a goal return of 3 in 22 isnt good enough - players like Barrowman and Rory have been slated on here for similar, so not sure why so many hold MacKay in high regard.

because unlike barrowman mckay puts in a shift week in week out, he doesnt have players around him offering good service like barrowman had. and hes probably better in the air than barrowman despite his 5'9'' frame. give him service and he will provide the goals imo. hes been asked to much of having to chase the terrible service from the back. id give him another season to prove his worth.

gillet on his day is one of our best defrenders. since maybe february hes not been as good but id say is worth another season. we cant realy afford to offload defenders in his mould imo he was solid at centre back for the best part of 2 months when we needed him most and for me thats good enough.

because unlike barrowman mckay puts in a shift week in week out, he doesnt have players around him offering good service like barrowman had. and hes probably better in the air than barrowman despite his 5'9'' frame. give him service and he will provide the goals imo. hes been asked to much of having to chase the terrible service from the back. id give him another season to prove his worth.

gillet on his day is one of our best defrenders. since maybe february hes not been as good but id say is worth another season. we cant realy afford to offload defenders in his mould imo he was solid at centre back for the best part of 2 months when we needed him most and for me thats good enough.

I agree another season I would keep McKay on for only the basis that there will be a competant striker up there with him, but as for his finishing, yes he might have had poor service but what he has done with the better service has been often disbelieving.

Those to keep - Esson, Tokely, Gillet (if someone kicks his a*se and stops his panic attacks) Tade, Hayes, McKay (see above), Hogg and Golobart.

Maybe - Tuffey (an expense for a couple games of unsteadiness but that might be lack of match time) Williams (I haven't seen much of him)

Let go - Tansey (sorry but not good enough) Proctor (liability)

I think this season has been the worst i ever remember for an Inverness team creating chances i have ever witnessed. On that fact alone, i think its pretty hard to go pointing the finger at the forwards. I think Tade had a reasonable first season at a much higher level and Billy MaKay sounds at least like he is a grafter. On that basis, i would keep them both and look to take in a seasoned campaigner to play up alongside them.

I think Tansey and Proctor should be moved on, and i think having Tuffey as a benchwarmer most weeks is a luxury we cannot afford.

That sed...i dont have mutch faith in TB to improve on what leaves during the summer, but hopefully he will play a blinder and unearth a couple of gems.

We should aim to keep - Esson, Tokely, Piemayr, Tudur Jones, Hogg, Hayes (if he wants to), Tansey, Foran, G.Shinnie, A.Shinnie, Ross, Tade, Sutherland, McKay, Gillet, Doran, Meekings, Tuffey and Morrison.

Thats a first team squad of 19 with youngsters and loanees to add to that most probably.

Release - Proctor, Gnakpa and the loan players Golabart (he can come back), Williams and Winnall.

Build from there I guess.

Inverness courier article today says McKay & Tansey are to be offered new deals. McKay I can understand as he at least tries but Tansey is a waste of space as far as I'm concerned. A central midfield of him & Foran isn't good enough!!

Does anyone else recollect last season, as soon as safety was confirmed (albeit earlier than this season), Tuffey was given a chance in goal straight away? I see this hasn't happened this season, even though I suppose Tuffey did get a chance a while back when Esson was injured. I wonder then, if Butcher is playing Esson from now on, because he knows Tuffey will be away.

read into this want you want, a Tweet from Jonny Tuffey,

jonathan tuffey@tuffers36

Been a pleasure inverness, met some lovely people, some people I'll remember forever,people I'll keep in touch with and others............

We've all heard the excuses but we can't get past the fact that this is the worst season for injuries that an ICT squad have ever had to content with. I still believe that there is a good core to the team and that we can build upon this for next season. I would therefore look to have a squad that consists of the following:

Esson

G Shinnie

Gillet

Tokely

Meekings

Hogg

Golobart (If deal can be extended)

Tansey

Foran

OTJ

Morrison

A Shinnie

Hayes

Doran

Ross

McKay

Tade

Sutherland

Needing:

1x Second Choice Keeper (possibly just use current U19, Mathieson or Baldy)

1x Commanding Centre Half (preferably with some experience)

1x Centre Midfielder

1x Winger

1x Goal Scoring striker (Priority)

Let go of:

Proctor

Piemayr

Williams

Winnall

There's a Norwegian striker in the Japanese league who plays for Jef United called Tor Hogne Aaaroy. While he is 35, I doubt his wages would be that much and a player like this may be something that would be really beneficial. Picture the scene - 10 minutes to go and ICT are 1-0 and hoofing the ball forward and on he comes. He would be unplayable (mainly because he's 6"9!)!

There's a Norwegian striker in the Japanese league who plays for Jef United called Tor Hogne Aaaroy. While he is 35, I doubt his wages would be that much and a player like this may be something that would be really beneficial. Picture the scene - 10 minutes to go and ICT are 1-0 and hoofing the ball forward and on he comes. He would be unplayable (mainly because he's 6"9!)!

I think your signing random Samoans idea was slightly better than this signing random giants one...

one tackle from tokely in training and his arthritus will kick in and he wont have any knees left.

mind you on his knees he probably still have a better chance against and opposing centre half than billy, poor lad

Agreed, while watching the game yesterday I thought he's worthy of a new deal. There's some aspects to be ironed out in his game, but he seems more the complete full back than Meekings (who's actually a centre-half), a player I think is actually on the field only to take throw-ins!