Libero

Martin, a midfielder who is a product of our youth system has signed a professional contract with the club.

story here: http://ictfc.com/news/club-news/529-piper-martins-reel-of-delight

If its the same guy i'm thinking of, he played in the Munro/Duncan testimonial and did not look out of place against a strong County team.

Always nice to see local lads get into the squad/team, hopefully he can adapt to the rigours of the SPL and become an asset to the team

He was the Red head that I saw at Elgin pre season and some said he was Rooney jnr... On account of his hair colour ;-/ but yes he has a foot ;-)

Hope he does well for himself...and ICT.....and pleased to see another youth squad product at least get a chance.

Wasn't he his age-group's Coaching Staff Player of the year in the first year of the youth awards...think Graeme Shinnie got the same award for the Under 17? If so it's maybe a good omen!

Oddquine, Tom Smith was players player of the year, Adam MacLeod was coaches player of the year. Tom had a good first season as apprentice but not so good second year and was released. Adam got injured very early in the season and was released after one year, and went to Strathspey to get fit and playing again. At time of signing as under 19s, Tom, Chubbs, Adam and Jack Sutherland were the outstanding prospects - and none are at ICT now. Last I heard Tom and Jack were going to go to Uni, Chubbs had signed for Brora, and Adam is on trial at a league club.

Ok so I'm not quite as smart as you obviously so I dont know what the exact term is but its that period of employment between age 17 and 19, which is like an apprenticeship and is subsidised by the SFA in the same way as any other apprenticeship is subsidised by state.

Further research has found the terminology. The Modern Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence (football). For players of 16 and above and leads to a Level 3 qualification. I believe that as well as what those players do at their clubs they have to attend SFA run modules.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

Does any one know how many of the under 17 have signed apprentice forms this season.

How many do we need to make up a squad anyway? Just going by the U-19 squad last season, and subtracting those who are known for sure to have been let go, we'd need at least 4 to bring us up to last years squad total.....but that assumes (because I don't know how it works re the difference between an u-20 contract and a first team one) that the likes of Martin Laing and other u-20 year old signings like Conor Pepper would not be eligible to play in the u-20 league.

I don't suppose we're ever going to be told anyway.

Edited by Oddquine

Ok so I'm not quite as smart as you obviously so I dont know what the exact term is but its that period of employment between age 17 and 19, which is like an apprenticeship and is subsidised by the SFA in the same way as any other apprenticeship is subsidised by state.

Further research has found the terminology. The Modern Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence (football). For players of 16 and above and leads to a Level 3 qualification. I believe that as well as what those players do at their clubs they have to attend SFA run modules.

You're probably far brighter Alex so don't get upset. Players are on full pro contracts just don't get so much money.

You're probably far brighter Alex so don't get upset. Players are on full pro contracts just don't get so much money.

So the difference between a full pro contract which has you playing in a development set-up on less money and an apprenticeship in any other job is what exactly?