FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

No business in January, unless.......

Yngwie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20806644

It comes as not surprise at all that Terry is not planning any signings in January. We're doing well and don't have any money anyway.

But he then caveats that by adding "If someone goes for whatever reason then we can look to replace."

Is that a bit ominous, or am I just reading too much into it?

There is always the possibility that some club will come in with an offer for one of our players that is simply too good to turn down.  It makes sense to acknowledge the possibility and it may well be that other clubs have been  sniffing around - indeed I would be very surprised if they hadn't.

Interesting that Butcher mentions signing Billy McKay up on a new deal.  I thought he was already signed up for next season.  Positive to see (as was reported in this and one of the newspapers), that Butcher's very confident of signing the Shinnies up for next season and says to expect an announcement in the coming days. 

Not too fussed about the possibility of no new signings though really.  The only area I can think of where there's little cover for no is at centre-back.  I know Cooper's on the bench, but he's only young and there seems to be little sign of a return for either Hogg or King.  Bring back Golobart!

Edited by Renegade

Not complaining. No need to change what is already a team that is playing at its best. Most important thing is hanging onto the likes of Billy and The Shinnies. Even try and get them secured for beyond this season. 

If a club offered half a million pounds for Billy macKay should the club accept it./

I think they would be hard pressed to refuse it. When you're in your hay-day that's when you make your moves....eh?

No! Since I finished work for Christmas earlier, Mr Glenfiddich has tried to stop me from working with numbers, but I would still think that we'd require more than that for Mr McKay. The way I understand it, 6th place to 2nd is about 7.5% of the SPL fund, or over £1.3M, so if he can make that difference for us, he's worth (at least) that £1.3M by the end of this season alone.

• Agree 1

I kinda did a quick sum up in my head the other night of what I thought a top 3 finish and 2 cup semi finals could be worth in terms of additional revenue to the club and it fell in to the £1 Million mark.  When you then factor in potential future income from europe and the likes, as well as increasing the value of the clubs "stock" in terms of attracting sponsors etc, then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you could then be looking to at least double, if not treble, that guestimate.

Don't think it would be too far off the mark to suggest that the treble would more than double the clubs turnover.

I know financially things are tight so thats probably why there are no plans to bring anyone in. However, I do worry about injuries as we dont have a lot of experience on the bench. Praying that we dont lose MacKay but hopefully the thought of the games to come cups etc will persuade folk to stay.

Was never going to dislodge anyone due to how well we were playing. The boy was needing first team football and as long as we were playing well he was never going to get a chance. 

The best thing that could happen for us in January is for the likes of the Shinnies, Draper, Warren, Meekings etc to sign two or three year contracts. That'd be a boost that'd be more welcomed for me than new short term signings. This team is special and the sooner they all commit for another couple of years, the better.