Steve Marsella

Yngwie

ICT's goalkeeping coach and scout. And an unsung hero who finally deserves his own thread?

It has been mentioned by a few people on here that it is actually Steve, and not Terry, who trawls the English lower leagues and non-leagues to discover gems like the current crop. I remember back in the summer there were fans on here unhappy that we were signing players from the likes of Newport, but bloody hell, who would you rather have in central defence, Warren or Munro? Twice the player at half the cost. That's what we need to punch above our weight like we are doing just now. Then there's Draper and Raven. And presumably he had a big say in signing Regeuro too.

It speaks volumes that for our latest signing target, Danny Devine, Butcher has admittedly never seen him play but trusts the reports he's had.

I was wondering what Marsella's background is but couldn't find a decent profile anywhere so I pieced together a few snippets from Google.

A Huddersfield lad, he was a YTS keeper with Halifax. At some stage he somehow ended up having a long spell as keeper for Elgin in the HL. He then moved in being a goalkeeping coach, which included doing work for the SFA for many years, seemingly a community coaching role in the north-east of Scotland.

Round about 10 years ago he was doing a lot of GK coaching in England, often part-time and possibly on a freelance basis, for the likes of Worksop, Barnsley, Grimsby and Notts Co. At Worksop he doubled up as Commercial Manager.

He presumably had his first involvement with Butcher when they were at Brentford at the same time - Marsella was Groundmsan as well as GK coach!

By 2009 he was at Crewe, where bizarrely his resignation was announced 2 weeks after he joined - but days later, he was back in place.

In 2010 he joined up with Terry at ICT, and since then I don't think we can have any complaints at all about the standard of goalkeeping. His scouting talent and large network of contacts is a real bonus. Whatever happens with Terry (and Mo) it would seem important to us that Marsella stays.

• Agree 2

I have spoken to him a couple of times, and the miles the guy does is incredible. Taking in 4/5 matches a week at times. Nice guy also. I was hoping he might have some input into a pre season tour to West yorkshire!