FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Keeper poll

Yngwie

Who should be in goals on for our next game?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be in goals for our next game?

Guest Mahonio

Why did Reguero get dropped for last 2 games, he's been playing well yet gets dropped, good for his confidence that will be eh!!?

Growing up in the great era of 'catching' goalies in the sixties and seventies my pet hate is the way nearly all keepers today most of the time stand rooted to the line a la Alan Rough when catchable crosses come over (happened again for second goal today). Is it coached now or a lack of confidence in themselves?  The best goalies never worried if there were international class defenders in front of them, they still made crosses their own or at least went down fighting to get to it.

It gives a team a lift when the keeper really goes for the ball and commands the area. Attackers also know that they might get a thick ear if a big goalie is heading their way. It also should be even easier than it used to be when you could barge as nowadays refs always give a foul if the keeper is 'impeded'.

Bring back the Pat Jennings school of goalkeeping.

Esson or Reguero?  both need coaching in the art of dealing with a cross.

Edited by Bluesman

IF Reguero was dropped becos of lack of confidence then there should have been a few more joining him on the bench. We do have a real positive - as we had with Tuffey - that we have two good goalkeepers playing fer the one place. TBH I was more surprised that Esson was left to warm the bench and Reguero allowed to have a run. I dont think that it would have had any negative effect on the back four. Being a defender of olde I would have preferred to have had Esson behind me. He is a more commanding figure IMHO.