FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Charlie Christies substitutions.

Guest brimsie

Guest brimsie

I have noticed from some other topics that regular fans seem to question Charlies choices when making subs. I can understand that sometimes Ian Black has to be taken off for his own good, but he wasn't playing against St Mirren on New Years day and the subs just left me bewildered. St Mirren where all over caley in the second half and it appeared to be obvious that changes had to made in midfield, but Charlie seemed content to hang on to his 2-1 lead. Russel Duncan is no Ian Black and Alan Morgan played well when he eventually came on. But having seen him in the reserves this season, why oh why was Zander Sutherland not brought on for Barry Wilson. Wilson was knackered 10 mins into the second half and Zander would have caused them all kinds of problems with his pace and skill.

Any thoughts?

Hi Brimsie, welcome to the board.

I appreciate what your saying re-Sutherland, most fans would probably like to see a wee bit more of him. In Christie's defence though he could qoute the Killie game last month, delicately poised and Sutherland comes on and almost immediatly gives away what turned out to be the deciding penalty.

Personally I want too see more of Zander but I'm happy to wait until the time is right, I'm not sure the time was right on Monday.

Guest brimsie

Thanks Stevie.

I have to say that Rory McAllister looks like an exciting prospect aswell. A lot of people have been asking on the forum where would a replacement for Ian Black come from if caley get rid of him. They should check out a young man called Vigurs in the reserves and under 19's. He's going to be quality.

I thought that 2 - 0 up you are looking to kill the game. Zander Sutherland should have come with half an hour to go. With his skill and ability he could take the ball for a walk into the corners and pick up free kicks to slow the game down. Charlie seemed to what to go for a third goal. Why?

I thought it was time to shut up shop and kill the game. 2 lines of 4 and all that with Zander in a free role. But hey what do I know.

PS I did feel sorry for the lad in the Killie game. I did not think it was right to throw him on in such a close high scoring game where you need level heads.

I thought that 2 - 0 up you are looking to kill the game. Zander Sutherland should have come with half an hour to go. With his skill and ability he could take the ball for a walk into the corners and pick up free kicks to slow the game down. Charlie seemed to what to go for a third goal. Why?

I thought it was time to shut up shop and kill the game. 2 lines of 4 and all that with Zander in a free role. But hey what do I know.

PS I did feel sorry for the lad in the Killie game. I did not think it was right to throw him on in such a close high scoring game where you need level heads.

Can see where you are coming from regarding the subs but if anything I think you are asking for trouble if you try and defend a 2-0 lead.  3-0 is safe, 2-0 and if the opponent gets 1 they are right back in the match (as we saw).  CC should have made a sub though IMO, the boys looked knackered (Wilson in particular) so would have been nice to see Zander running at them.

To be honest I think that Chrisite does need to work on his subs but, he has showed that he can get it right i.e. Falkirk match and his use of the bench is a damb site better than Brewster!!

Guest brimsie

If the defense couldn't cope with the half assed efforts of Dennis Wyness you would have thought it was the ideal time to throw on young Zander and tell him to go at them. 3-0 would have killed them off.

What needs to be remembered is that the lads mentioned are young. They may well do great playing in  reserves but throwing them in to try and save a game is a lot of pressure to put on them. CC has nurtured those players for a few years, indeed he was instrumental in getting the lads full time contracts, and I'm sure we will see exactly what there made of before the end of this season but its maybe too early to put them under too much pressure at a young age. It takes a very special talent that can be thrown in at the deep end so young and there aint many of those around.