FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Europe:- The Final Countdown

tm4tj

At the end of the day we have achieved far more this season that ever before so even it we dont retain third we will have been more successful than before.

:clapping: This is what is wrong with us................happy to be here etc. The top-six bit is fine, but it means sod all if we don't get Europe and worse still if you know who does :notlistening:

ROSS COUNTY                                 US

=============                               =========

scottish cup final                                 semi final

top six first time of asking                   took years

europe i think so                                  i dont think so

in our shadows i definately dont think so

Eh? You think County will qualify for Europe and we wont?

At the end of the day we have achieved far more this season that ever before so even it we dont retain third we will have been more successful than before.

:clapping: This is what is wrong with us................happy to be here etc. The top-six bit is fine, but it means sod all if we don't get Europe and worse still if you know who does :notlistening:

Eh? You think County will qualify for Europe and we wont?

would be a very,very,very happy man if we do.

as i said on a different thread the split fixtures were not kind to us.

we got celtic when win gave them the championship, i said after that other teams would pick up points from them as they dont have a lot to play for, cup final will take care of it's self

motherwell humped them 3-1.

who's up next to take points from celtic.

The only reason C*unty made it to the Top 6 this season is because they happened to arrive at a time when the standard of football has been pretty unremarkable. No Rangers for a start, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd ALL underacheiving. Even the Champions have dropped 33 pts so far this season, which is a record. They have won once away from home in their last 7 games....yet still crowned champions. That tells you how poor the standard has been this year. I also happen to think ICT have benefitted from all of the above also.

ROSS COUNTY                                                                                       US

=============                                                                                      =========

scottish cup final    (can't remember them turning up)                             2 semi finals and a replay, plus 12 giant killing games

top six - took since 1929                                                                          took since 1994 (but managed 7th when the standard was higher)

europe - probably v.close between ICT and Super J's

in our shadows? Surely!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Fixed it!

Joking aside, did anybody else notice when we came back up in 2010, the standard was lower than 2004? It struck me right away.

Edited by TheMantis
Quoty thing is too much for my senility
  • Agree 1

Apart from the red card, another sad sight on Saturday was the size of the crowd, 2300 was it they announced? Makes you wonder about all the talk of new structures and play offs bringing back crowds. Not if those games are at 1200 and on TV.

We had a great spell of form in the run up to the year end when we climbed the league with attacking play, solid defence - no injuries and other results going our way helped. Unbeaten so far against RC has been great too but it would still feel like a downer to miss out on a Europe place after it became very possible.

What Celtic or other teams now do is out of our hands. It's gonna be tough to get any kind of attacking form back this late but we are still a point ahead and with hard graft and some luck coming our way we can still do it.

• Agree 2

Look at the table just after we had beaten Aberdeen 3-0 with one of our best attacking displays of the season in a rousing second half. Time stamp 19th January 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20996641

We are in second place, 2 ahead of Motherwell 7 points ahead of St Johnstone and 13 ahead of County, our goal difference is vastly superior at this point of the season. Only 2 wins in thirteen SPL games since then is not good reading, 5 defeats and 6 draws where we should have been more aggressive but chose the passive route.

Have we bottled it big time or are we happy to have made the top-six, a top-six without one of the two major forces in Scotland, the truth is seen through your own eyes.

I'm also sick and tired of people worrying that County made it into the top-six at the first time of asking. That is bullshit as they have been a senior league side for as long as us and it's their problem they took until this season to get into the SPL.

• Agree 1

Well....way i see it.....all things considered...the season has been a sucsess. We made top 6, which is about the most realistic challenge we should ever realistically set for ourselves. IMHO, to set our sights any higher than that would be folly. But it will be gut wrenching to see European Football slip away when we got so close. But it is just an added bonus to even be thinking about that.. but as long as C*unty dont snatch it at our expense, then, i will still be happy.

• Agree 1

Look at the table just after we had beaten Aberdeen 3-0 with one of our best attacking displays of the season in a rousing second half. Time stamp 19th January 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20996641

We are in second place, 2 ahead of Motherwell 7 points ahead of St Johnstone and 13 ahead of County, our goal difference is vastly superior at this point of the season. Only 2 wins in thirteen SPL games since then is not good reading, 5 defeats and 6 draws where we should have been more aggressive but chose the passive route.

Have we bottled it big time or are we happy to have made the top-six, a top-six without one of the two major forces in Scotland, the truth is seen through your own eyes.

I'm also sick and tired of people worrying that County made it into the top-six at the first time of asking. That is bullshit as they have been a senior league side for as long as us and it's their problem they took until this season to get into the SPL.

well said on last point mr jobby. i am more worried the post split results so far

team                 played              for               agin                   gd               pts

motherwell           2                    6                  2                        4                6

ross co                 2                    3                  2                       1                 4

st j                        2                   3                   2                       1                 4

celtic                    2                   5                    4                       1                 3

du                        2                   2                    3                      -1                 0

ict                        2                   1                     5                      -4                 0

as nick knowles says on that useless quiz show perfection,         

"you know where this is going dont you"

Not sure today's result at Fir Park bodes well for us. Looks as though Celtic, having secured the title against us last week, may have put away the tools for the rest of the season with games against both our main rivals for the final European place still to play.

On the other hand, our next opponents who have already murdered us three times this season, seem to be on fire.

I am more than a little concerned.

• Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

Why all this negativity guys, as I said, we only need a win v Motherwell and Celtic to beat County and United to beat Saints and we're clear again, meaning 2 draws is sufficient in remaining 2.

In order for County to overtake us they'll have to win their remaining 3 which include matches v Celtic and Motherwell, same goes for St Johnstone.

Also, Celtic lost today but it was to a good Motherwell team, they can and most likely, will pick up more wins and now that Motherwell are guaranteed Europe, they may take foot off gas slightly.

As has been said, I'd rather be 1 ahead having played Celtic than be a couple behind in 3rd and 4th yet to still play Celtic.

Positivity guys, positivity, let's have faith guys and stop moaning after losses to the league champions and a St Johnstone team who got lucky on the day!!

Edited by Mahonio

My grave fear is that should we qualify for Europe we could actually lose out financially depending on who we draw

Yes it would be a feather in our hat I suppose to say we qualified but let's take a reality check here. Leaving Celtic out of it the most ourselves, Motherwell and Hibernian will get will be one two legged pre-lim or first round tie

Scottish clubs and I include the old firm in this have being falling at the first hurdle for years now

With the Orcs out of the scenario, Scottish clubs entering Europe next season will be the poorest standard of clubs that have ever represented Scotland

It is therefore mind boggling that certain posters think we will be playing at McDiarmid Park in the group stages!!!!!

European football is not the be all and end all for me and to be honest I'd rather miss out this year if it meant getting pumped by a Welsh/Irish outfit or a club from an equivalent diddy country

The club has taken a giant step forward this year by achieving a top six finish the last thing we need is then to take a step backward

Dougal

Guest Mahonio

Dougal my friend, NO team that qualifies for Europe is "diddy', any manager that thought a certain team was diddy would get a nasty shock, we need to get out of this habit of claiming certain teams are 'diddy" or "pish", I would like to make this clear people!!

Edited by Mahonio

Mahonio sorry to break this to you but there will be no managers in Europe tonight losing any sleep worrying about drawing a Scottish club in Europe

We ARE also the diddies whether you like it or not, Scottish football is at an all time low and we are in the same league of diddiness as Wales,Ireland,Luxembourg,Kazakhstan etc

I personally think Europe is a step too far too soon and I'll be delighted if I'm proved wrong but I very much doubt it

Dougal

Only Dougal could turn the prospect of European into something negative.

Even if we got hammered both home and away it would still be a wonderful adventure for a town which less than two decades ago couldn't even aspire to the lowest reaches of the SFL..

• Agree 6

Guest Mahonio

Dougal, shut up will you lad, these negative posts of yours are doing my head in!!

If any manager did indeed lose no sleep over drawing us, as you say, then that means they would underestimate us, It's cockiness like this that cost teams, NO team should be underestated.

If you got nothing positive to say, then don't post negative **** on here, this is a place for positivity ;-).

My grave fear is that should we qualify for Europe we could actually lose out financially depending on who we draw

Yes it would be a feather in our hat I suppose to say we qualified but let's take a reality check here. Leaving Celtic out of it the most ourselves, Motherwell and Hibernian will get will be one two legged pre-lim or first round tie

Scottish clubs and I include the old firm in this have being falling at the first hurdle for years now

With the Orcs out of the scenario, Scottish clubs entering Europe next season will be the poorest standard of clubs that have ever represented Scotland

It is therefore mind boggling that certain posters think we will be playing at McDiarmid Park in the group stages!!!!!

European football is not the be all and end all for me and to be honest I'd rather miss out this year if it meant getting pumped by a Welsh/Irish outfit or a club from an equivalent diddy country

The club has taken a giant step forward this year by achieving a top six finish the last thing we need is then to take a step backward

Dougal

More so than building a forth stand?

• Agree 2

Well well well here we go again... I'm gonna be as positive as possible here but we pretty much deserved to lose against St Johnstone although the red card may have been harsh but I know most of us were all getting hyped up for booking our flights and that but now it is really hard to see us beat Motherwell next week. County and St J still have to play Celtic (although Celtic were pants today) and we are still a point clear in third so that is a positive note but I'm starting to have doubts about St J especially overtaking us to claim that last Euro spot. I think we have to beat DUFC and get something out of Motherwell maybe but defiantly County. All I can say is we need to hope celtic beat both teams and for us to at least get four to six points. And also this is our best season ever no doubt about that but weve been in those european places pretty much all season and it would be guttering to lose out, but whatever happens this is our best season ever as we are bound to finish top 5. Will we make Europe or will we slip up? Thoughts on remaining fixtures too?

Dougal, shut up will you lad, these negative posts of yours are doing my head in!!

If any manager did indeed lose no sleep over drawing us, as you say, then that means they would underestimate us, It's cockiness like this that cost teams, NO team should be underestated.

If you got nothing positive to say, then don't post negative **** on here, this is a place for positivity ;-).

This coming from the poster who has called for Butcher to be sacked after every bad result

How many times is that you've posted an anti Butcher tirade?

Dougal

Welcome back Dougal and it is nice to see a well presented post aimed at encouraging debate from different perspectives. Although your recent rather subdued and polite contribution has received a mainly negative response I suspect that this is as much due to your previous reputation. The prospect of losing money or being "embarrassed" are both definite possibilities. But the main "prize" would be finishing third in the SPL. Personally I would actually have swooped a top six and a league cup victory. But we simply have to be ambitious and with the luck of the draw finances and reputations could be enhanced by a venture in to Europe.

The reasoning also reeks of an excuse for not qualifying by a happy clapper !! I may also have agreed more with you but fer the fact that we appear to have kept the core of the squad fer next season and I would rather play competitive games in Europe rather than pre season friendliest in the Highlands. I am sure that many fans will also see qualification as "the dream trip" which may not come along again - as will most of the playing staff.

By the way Mahonio has been discovered to be the love child of Terry Butcher and his previous rants were evidently unconscious rants were fired by his internalised anger and feelings of rejection.

Oh - and Fraz - why would be build a stand in the Firth of Forth ??