• John Hughes
    • Colin Cameron
    • Richie Foran
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Alan Moore
    • John Brown
    • Peter Houston
    • Someone else (say below)

^^ He got caught on the bevy in a cyprus club........................well thats what the daily record said lol

Burley cant be that much of pish-head. I bumped into him at Fulham Broadway Shopping Centre a wee while ago and ask if I could buy him a beer.

He declined my offer, it was 11:30 in the morning after all, but was more than happy to chat with me.

Nice guy, wouldn't be my first choice, but he has unfinished business in Scotland and would certainly stoke the flames when we next meet the Hibees.

Talking of pish-heads, whats the latest odds on Paul Sturrock? He's my No 1 choice with Hartley as No 2. Better still, if we could afford it, both.

...and as for the Italian applicant then who knows!

Ex Ireland manager Giovani Trappatoni.

:shrug02:

Di Matteo? Di Canio? :getmecoat:

Recently read he was still getting paid £130000 a week by Chelsea. I don't think he will be looking for a job. 

If we were to appoint him then that would effectively mean he would be getting paid about £130,001 a week!!Shouldnt be sniffed at :tongueincheek:

His Chelsea pay stops in June 2014 or if he accepts a job elsewhere.

Although I would like Paul Sturrock to get the job I'd be happy with Paul Hartley or Paul Sheerin too.

So in short... Paul!

OR...

How about a joint team of John Robertson, Paul Sheerin, George Burley and Ritchie Foran?

"John, Paul, George and Ringo!"

:blush:

:lol:  :ictscarf:  :lol:  :ictscarf:  :lol:

• Agree 1

Ian Holloway is the logical successor to Big Tel.

Paul Hartley as number 2.

Shiels, Nicholl, Burley or Levein and I am off to the Clach.

Please don't ruin what has been started.

Hows it going Ian?

At the moment I can not see past the two favorites. Levein and Hartley, one very experienced and one up and coming hungry manager.

Levein is the safe hands option, and I beleive if he took the job on he would completely change our youth system, for the better. Not saying the youth coaches aren't good enough, it the way the training is done I think. Dundee Utd and Hearts youth are testament to that with players being quoted as worth £millions. The evidence is that Levein does very well at club level, and can find very excellent footballers without spending money. Dundee Utd were looked as being the best footballing team outwith the old firm, played on the deck with players to suit. His days at Hearts were very different, as he was given players who were the Chairmans choice. If we want to remain as a force in Scottish football, finish in the top half more often then this is the best option.

Hartley was talked about on Radio Scotland yesterday. Became manager of Alloa in the third division, pre season they had ONE player signed for the up coming season, so he put a team together that won the league that season, following season got them promoted via the playoffs and now sit 4th in the Championship. Young, talented, determined, and seemingly old school manager who does it by the book. He was a winner as a player, and seems to be taking that on into management. Never liked him as a player, but that was probably because he always played well against us and hurt us, and always appeared to give 100% for Perth, Hibs, Hearts, Dons and Celts.

Paul Hartley can obviously spot a player, but can he do it at SPFL level. I think he could, but its more of a gamble than Levein. They all thought that Hartley would not be at Alloa much longer, as every vacancy now would have him connected. I feel we should stop the rumours and make Paul Hartley ours, and take the wee gamble.  

Both appear deep thinkers about the game, rather than being all mouth. As for the other names being touted, non really excite me, most really annoy and depress me.

Jimmy Calderwood has probably been out of the game too long now, but although I dont like him much, I think in time he would be good for us.

Barry Wilson, too much of a step up from HL to SPFL to be No1 but a very good shout as No 2.

Kenny Shiels would be the worst choice in my opinion, as bad as a Neil Lennon with foot in mouth comments, and still can not forgrt his complaint about having to travel all the way up that A9, well every second week you would have to travel down that A9,

Alex McLeish - no chance, we are not big enough for him at this stage of his career. Said as much on Radio Scotland yesterday.

Di Canio, Di Matteo etc - Dream on, we couldnt afford them, and one I would never ever let near our dug out.

Paul Sheerin - Again better as a No 2 at this stage. Has done well in management, but hasn't stood out IMO.

Kenny Cameron has said in a statement that we have had applications from all over Europe, and from South America. It would be intreging to find out the credentials of these people. Is it Ossie Ardiles, and some Spanish and Italian managers who are out of work. But the danger of that is they try to take in what they know, and a team full of 6 or 7 unknown Spanish or Italian players is not the way forward for our classy team.

Onwards and upwards, Hartley or Levein please Kenny

In a straight choice between Craig Levein and Paul Hartley I would be inclined towards the latter even though he is the bigger risk.

He may be untried in management at this level but knows the league very well having only relatively recently stopped playing in it after many successful seasons.

His record in management, although short, shows great promise having taken an Alloa team he built himself  largely from scratch from the Third Division to being the best and most successful part time team in the country. Not my own first choice but I would be more than content if PH got the job, especially if in tandem with an experienced assistant.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

Some information on Paul Hartley by Hugh Keevins on the 25th May.

Hartley “So I went to the Accies and I met the coach whose career since then has taught me you should always strive to be the best you can be and that was Davie Moyes.''  He was famously one of the Riccarton Three at Tynecastle, when Hartley, Steven Pressley and Craig Gordon issued a statement proclaiming that there was “significant unrest” in Hearts’ dressing room.

''That long-term aim might, however, be diverted in the short-term by the possibility of Hartley being coveted by an SPL club if a managerial merry-go-round should spring into action over the next few days. If, and when, it does Hartley will admit to being motivated by self interest and the independent streak that’s characterised his career from his teenage years to the present day.He also appreciates I have this independent streak that comes from my upbringing as one of six children who were brought up by a mother on her own.''

He wants to be the Manager, not the Coach, so he would need a good number 2, and confirmation that Richie and he blended well. Alloa are of course part time which makes his success so far, pretty remarkable. However, ''Looking back at his early days in Clackmannanshire, Hartley believes clearing the decks worked to his advantage.'' this is not an option at ICT.

But his Chairman rates him very highly: ''Hartley has more than justified Mulraney’s decision but did the chairman ever think it was a gamble to turn to young manager? "We had 40 applicants for the manager’s job and the standard of candidates was incredibly high," Mulraney said. "I made my mind up very quickly and it says everything for Paul that he was the only person I interviewed."

Enjoyed reading your in-depth post, Bauhaus. But since it's Sunday, can I be pedantic? The SPFL is not the new name for the SPL. It's now called the Premiership.

All 42 Scottish League clubs play in the SPFL - but in their respective divisions. (Premiership, Championship, League One, League Two).

The media are often 'guilty' of this e.g. Is it too soon for Paul Hartley to be considered for a managerial post in the SPFL? Well, no, because he's already managing there!

I amn't a great fan of the new naming system although starting to get used to it. However, they could have used a bit more imagination if they didn't want to call them simply Division 1..Division 2...etc.

Scottish Championship, Caledonia League, Alba Alliance, Cairngorm Conference?! :smile:

Paul Hartley.  Most exciting manager in the lower divisions since...Danny Lennon? Ian McCall?

It is a risk.  Maybe worth taking but it could see us plummet too.

Calderwood was managing last season.  Not too long away at all.

Shiels oversaw Killie's worst home record in over 30 years.  Still think, long-term, he could do something.

Yogi built a great side at Hibs.  Just couldn't stop the slide, which makes me doubt him.  Needs a top assistant.

Sheerin's done well at Arbroath.  Couldn't expect much more.  That said, would we be considering him if he hadn't played for ICT?

For me, we need somebody who can first hang on to as many of the current lads to achieve success this year. That means charisma and the ability to get the boys' respect immediately. Projects and 5 year plans are great and should certainly be on the CV, but the opportunity is this year and that means this squad. Who? I haven't got a Scooby....

Can we back off levein please. Did he not rule himself out anyway? Im liking paul sturrock and gary macallister. Someone mentioned stuart baxter before but I dont know his current status.

Can we back off levein please. Did he not rule himself out anyway? Im liking paul sturrock and gary macallister. Someone mentioned stuart baxter before but I dont know his current status.

He's lead singer @ Kaizer Chiefs since 2012 mate.

If he got the Caley job I predict a riot.....

Of the names going around I have no idea who I would prefer as Manager ,

But let's spare a thought for Alloa fans ,them being in a lower league

as we have been in their position

and it's very unsettling hearing that another team are interested in your

current Manager .!!!

• Agree 1