FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Can Yogi maintain our momentum ?

Well the honeymoon is over from my perspective and now we need to see results. Yogi has been allowed a fair degree of time to settle in. He has been allowed to look at all the players and experiment with quite a few systems. The players appear to be in agreement with the training methods and developing a new style of play. Here is my advice !!

Brill is OK but I would hope that he has some "competition" next season.

We have quite a few defenders now that can play in a few defensive positions. Draper actually looks the part at centre half as he has the "head" to make up for the lack of pace. It would be interesting to see him pairing up with Warren.

We need to make up our minds where we are going to start Graeme Shinnie. To me he left wing back is where he should be. By playing him all over the place we may actually have prevented other clubs from looking too closely and hopefully he will stay.

Tansey is evidently earmarked as the playmaker and we have Foran and Draper who could be the holding midfielder - but that is a position that needs new blood.

Doran has simply got to be bullied in to maintaining his fitness and should be dropped when he hits a certain weight. Christie must start in the old Andy Shinnie role - and he is another reason why we do not need Andy Shinnie.

And finally we need a traditional centre forward which may alter Yogi's thoughts about wide players - in Watkins and Williams (NOT Vincent) we have a couple of potential "beauts".

And next season may be where Russell Latapy finally makes his mark and attracts players from old haunts.

Can Yogi maintain our momentum ?  Well he certainly has the "tools" for the job as long as the Board and/or Subway provide a bit of investment.

I'm actually quite optimistic about next season.

A few rough edges to sort out but I really don't think we're all that far away from the finished product and the close season should provide plenty of time for him to hone his tools.

Perhaps this is Yogi's best chance yet to achieve something big in Scottish football.

• Agree 4

I really hope he does keep us ticking over. Im fed up of the divide that his appointment caused in the support. At the end of the day we all want the same thing and thats Caley Thistle to do well...Yogi fits into that ethos as much as we do. 

I agree with what IHE says about Christie, he needs to get signed up on a long term deal and given a lengthy run in the team. He has the flair, craft and it would seem the goals in his locker. Time we see more of it. 

We dont need many new faces this summer which makes a rare change which means any players brought in need to be good ones and not fringe players who will barely kick a ball during their stay here. Yogi needs to take his time and bring players that he is 100% sure will either add something new or push an already established pro all the way for his place in the side. 

He needs to work out his best team too and stick to it as well. He has options, especially in midfield. But this squad was at its best when it was the same team consistently for as long as possible. No sense really in altering that. Pre season im sure will see more experimentation with formations and tactics. 

As I said I want the talk of his appointment and tenure to end but the only way to see that happen is to make convincing decisions in the transfer market and get the team on a good run of form in the new season. If he builds a run the doubt will diminish. 

• Agree 1

The only thing I would like is to see us playing football from the mid field. I am not against footballers at the back but I think teams will press higher up the field against us once they suss our system.

• Agree 1

Well I am hoping he adds a Centre forward to his shopping list - Billy was on fire early in the season but I think we all have to agree he tailed off later in the season so we need someone to help / challenge for that position.

I have always been of the opinion that Yogi should be given time so with a transfer window and a full pre season we will hopefully we will see an attractive successful team

• Agree 1

Well it's nice to be going into a summer for once knowing we only need to make a few tweaks. No one is going by the looks of it, save for a fee.

I'd like to have a young keeper to challenge Brill.
At the back, we have Shinnie and Tremarco at left back, Raven/Shinnie/Meekings Right Back, and Warren, Meekings and Devine. Draper and Foran can drop back there in emergencies.

In the middle, in the holding roles we have Draper, Tansey, Foran, Polworth (who'd I'd be happy to see get a run there) and even Vincent and Ross.

Wide we have Doran, Williams and Watkins. Attacking mid we have Ross and Vincent. Trequartista/Enganche - Christie and Ross.

Up front we only have Mckay.

We need minimum a stiker, even on loan, to challenge Mckay and perhaps another goalie. Depends if Esson is still seen as number 2.

Only other areas we should look at are wide attackers and RB, CB. Yogi might be able to get a loan in there too though. But if we didn't bother I'd say role with what we have there.
1st team squad is 19 deep. Needs number 20, a striker. If it's a loan, happy days, no risks.

• Agree 1

What the hell is this Trequartista/Enganche....?

Sounds like a lot of pretentious nonsense to me. I'm sure I ordered that as a starter once!

Doubtless some 'football manager computer game' jibber  jabber!

We've got countless discussions on this forum about our attendances - perhaps the 'elephant in the room' is the advent of armchair kids - managing ICT to the Champions League - why bother going to see the real team play against Partick Thistle when you're managing the team against Real Madrid? An unfortunate sign of the times.

Enganche, it means the hook. Basically the number 10 for all the old school mob. Playmaker, etc  Or as most ICT fans would put it, the Andy Shinnie role.

Tequartista is type of shadow striker, essentially like Del Piero.

Neither term I learned from Football Manager, both, and others like Libero etc, were learned through watching continental football, and discussing the game with people outwith the UK, some being coaches.

Maybe we could play him as a false 9......

It's not surprising armchair kids are turning to Football manager, the standard of football from those pixelated dots moving around, is far in excess of many a current SPFL game.
And it costs considerably less. Perhaps when Scottish football brings its prices into line with the rest of Europe, and more in line with the standard on offer, fans might return. For years it's tried to kid on it's some kind of EPL diet version when in reality it's not even English league 1. And I think most people have better things to do now on a Saturday than fork out those sums for sub par entertainment.
Why would people pay to watch a pub band at Rolling Stones prices?

• Agree 2

I'd like to have a young keeper to challenge Brill.

... perhaps another goalie. Depends if Esson is still seen as number 2.

IMO Esson would be the No.1 choice at many of our Premiership rivals, he's better than the first choice at many other clubs.

I remember when our goalkeeping choices were Fraser and Ridgers.  Big difference now.

I think we will take in a striker.  Whether to play alongside Billy or to challenge for his position I don't know, time will tell I guess.

At least we're not worrying about losing many players during the silly season.  :smile:

Perhaps when Scottish football brings its prices into line with the rest of Europe . . .

Prices from the top league of our closest European neighbour:

Manchester Unit: £31 to £53

Arsenal: £63 to £126

Southampton: £37 to £50

Sunderland: £32 to £40

Norwich: £33 to £60

ICT: £20 to £30 

So, you are saying we should be putting the prices up?  :lol:

• Agree 1

Perhaps when Scottish football brings its prices into line with the rest of Europe . . .

There are many next door who do not consider themselves to be part of Europe...

Also it's like comparing apples with oranges,,,,,Product (and money) totally different!

My point exactly.  What they charge in Germany or Spain or Italy or Estonia is of passing interest but cannot be used as a measure to our prices.

I believe our prices to be fair value.  The only comparison we can and should make is with others in the same league we are in.  Beyond that it is meaningless.

• Agree 1

Manchester Unit: £31 to £53

Arsenal: £63 to £126

Southampton: £37 to £50

Sunderland: £32 to £40

Norwich: £33 to £60

ICT: £20 to £30 

So, you are saying we should be putting the prices up?  :lol:

Perhaps when Scottish football brings its prices into line with the rest of Europe, and more in line with the standard on offer, fans might return. For years it's tried to kid on it's some kind of EPL diet version when in reality it's not even English league 1.

Maybe your not so wise retort would be  :lol: if you took the time to read and understand the statement.

Can people not remember this from 2008, the one time Celtic fans have made a protest that has any merit at all. People saying who cares what they charge elsewhere, but look at it. It's a rip off. You can see a massive derby match in the Netherlands for about £15-18 (at the time) or a Bundesliga game. The 3rd best league in Europe, between 2 teams at the time who were top end. One being one of the 5 biggest teams in Europe.

And then you have every game in England on the tv. In the pub. Day - sorted!

post-788-0-69537600-1400700759.jpg

Back on topic. Kenny Cameron said in the papers today that unless they receive a "truly exceptional offer" no players will be sold. If this is the case all we need is a striker. Even if it's just a loanee. Anything else is a bonus. Might be a boring window in fairness.

It was tongue in cheek mostly, hence the grinning smilie, but the point was made.  What European countries top tier charge for their football is virtually meaningless in an SPL context.  Or even their second tier.

Edited by FoolPhysio
  • Agree 1

The prices shown here are remarkable, horrific even. For me , on a pension for income, they would not be affordable.

Huge salaries for players need to be pared down in order to ensure a reduction in prices.

Will it happen?--Very unlikely IMHO. But if fans refuse to appear through the gates there is a possibility that  sanity will prevail.

With the large teams in England packing the stadiums weekly, just think of the enormous sums of money pouring in to their coffers. Why would they reduce prices ? 

• Agree 1