Home advantage?

DoofersDad

6 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

There were 5 matches in the Highland League last night.  The combined scores were

Home teams 0  Away teams 25.

I thought playing at home was meant to be an advantage!

Certainly not for Fort William. They are playing all their home matches at their opponents’ grounds, so last night lost their home match against Nairn at Station Park. 

9 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

I thought playing at home was meant to be an advantage!

There were reports during the lockdown, based on analysis of lots of scores, that playing at home wasn't such an advantage as in normal times.  A possible explanation was the absence of a large crowd mostly cheering on the home team.  In addition to the effect on the players, it also seemed that, with no pressure from a crowd, referees were less likely to award free kicks and the like to the home team.

That's the nearest that we will ever be to illustrating and even measuring the difference that a large, vocal support can make.

8 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

There were reports during the lockdown, based on analysis of lots of scores, that playing at home wasn't such an advantage as in normal times.  A possible explanation was the absence of a large crowd mostly cheering on the home team.  In addition to the effect on the players, it also seemed that, with no pressure from a crowd, referees were less likely to award free kicks and the like to the home team.

That's the nearest that we will ever be to illustrating and even measuring the difference that a large, vocal support can make.

As someone who mainly attends home games, can somebody please explain to me what a large vocal support is ?

• Funny 1