FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Arrogance of the English (media)

wyness_is_god

I read somewhere that the France v Argentina game had no build-up. Instead they talked at length about the upcoming England-USA game and then 'Oh sorry, we interrupt this to bring you France against some other country'.

Sorry to return to an old theme, but the basic problem is, we are forced to listen to a London-based media who are enthusiastic about another nation. English viewers are NEVER forced to listen to us. Scottish commentators never broadcast to the whole UK, so arrogance, bias etc of Scottish pundits is irrelevant.

Problem with the English football team is that they aren't as good as they should or could be.  If they had a manager with balls they could be a seriuos team, as it is they don't have anyone who can really sort their team out.

I don't think their media are better or worse than anyone else and I couldn't care less about 'having' to listen to them.  It makes watching their games funny.  Some Scottish people need to grow up when it comes to this 'rivalry'.

I don't see why anyone cares so much - the Scottish pundits are just as bad - ever see the commentary when the nation side is playing or when the old firm are in europe - and they dispute blatant fouls, and back dodgy penalty decisions etc - but then that's all part of the fun of commentary and punditry - it's supposed to be a bit biased and fun. Let's face it - MATD has about 6 times as many english viewers as Scots and that's their market - especially when the English games are on. If you don't like it - dont watch it.

I'm a Scot, and damned proud of that fact, I watched the Scotland game in The Rob Roy - a scot's bar in London because I was down for the Police gig this weekend. Afterwards I went and watched the England game with some mates some of whom were English - we had a bit of banter and rivalry and we both know the English pundits are pretty bias and mention 66 all the time - but don't you think if Scotland had won a world cup in the last 100 years we'd always discuss it - course we would!

I wore my Scotland shirt round London this weekend as I have on many occaisions when i've been down south - i got a bit of banter from some of the  fans but no-one gave me any trouble at all, - I wore it in the pub during the games and it was a good laugh. One of my mates has had some serious **** after wearing his England top in Scotland, and he's not alone. The Fact is the english couldn'nt care less about the Scot's because they have this very cool thing called "multi-cultural-ism" which occaisionally I feel is completely lacking in Scotland. Granted we were an opressed race many times during our history and one could argue that just as the scots like seing the english lose, the english like to see france and germany lose. And that's fair enough, I just think there is some kind of mis-interpretation from a lot of people that the English dislike the Scots just as much as the Scots dislike the English - which is a total myth and I can't help but feel it's born out of a lot of people looking at things like bias media.

The only other thing I can say on the mater is - If you don't like the english punditry and comentary then don't watch it - personally I find it quite entertaining.

II n i'm going to get completely burned for this post - and i'd re-enforce the point I am very pround to be scottish, especially outside of Scotland - we've got a good reputation round the world. In fact the only time I'm ashmed of being Scottish is generally when I'm in my own country and see things like adults shouting racist abuse at teenagers in england shirts. In saying that - I wouldn't rather be of any other nationality.

I actually agree so no burning from me anyway.

The only bit I disagree with (and Chris too) is that I don't find it amusing when people who are paid high salaries are totally ignorant of the existence of any culture outside the SE of England.

In particular I mean the good old BBC whether it's news, weather, sport quiz shows or whatever. We may only have 1/10 of the population but we have 1/3 of the whole UK land mass and pay the same licence fee. So we're entitled to (gently) point it out when they get it wrong.

Guest TinCanFan

I heard last year during the time of the world cup that a boy was playing football a park in Scotland with his dad wearing an England shirt and a grown man came over and beat the boy up!  This just shows how idiotic and racist many Scots are over England and how they can't grow up and get over the past (just like in the national anthem).  I've heard many anti-English comments in Scotland though I have never heard or been suggected to any anti-Scottish racist comments in England.

I heard last year during the time of the world cup that a boy was playing football a park in Scotland with his dad wearing an England shirt and a grown man came over and beat the boy up!  This just shows how idiotic and racist many Scots are over England and how they can't grow up and get over the past (just like in the national anthem).  I've heard many anti-English comments in Scotland though I have never heard or been suggected to any anti-Scottish racist comments in England.

Whilst I agree with much of your sentiment, I dont think quoting a song (national anthem) that has, as part of its content, the following verse is a good example.

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the King/Queen.

For me, I have no problem with the "English" as a people/race/nation - whatever word you want to use, it is the often ignorant comments of the English media and my dislike for the English Team that makes me support the other team when they are playing in much the same way as I am happy to see Livingston, St Mirren or Dundee Utd get beaten by (most) other teams.

Guest TinCanFan

You're right but I bet a lot of Anti-Englishness comes from that rubbish tune something that doesn't happen in England very much because a. some people don't know that verse and/or English people seem to be so bothered about the past like some people are in Scotland.

Yup - he punched out the kid's Dad too...

Guest donmac298

There again TCF England has not been kept under the thumb for centuries by Scotland.  If you think there is not an anti-Scots issue in England you are mistaken.  It may not be so obvious nowadays but there is a lot of it simmering under the surface. 

There again TCF England has not been kept under the thumb for centuries by Scotland.  If you think there is not an anti-Scots issue in England you are mistaken.  It may not be so obvious nowadays but there is a lot of it simmering under the surface. 

Correct....

Especially since Scotland got its devolved parliament...

There is now a general feeling throughout England that much more money is handed out to the Scots than to the English. There is also resentment that Scots MPs can vote on matters pertaining to England, but English MPs cannot vote on Scottish matters.

The only solution for this anomaly of course would be complete independence for Scotland..... :014:

Anti Scots in England.........try using a Scottish banknote outside of the holiday towns.

As for TV........Four million Scots pay for a licence but get ignored when it comes to programe selection.

Richie, you've had good experiences..........too many of us have had bad. As for multi-cutural England, it has the most racist population in europe and probably the world.

i have to agree with RichieKass. Living down south I've not heard much in the way of anti-Scots sentiment down here, perhaps the north of england is different - there is a big difference between attitudes of those from the south and those from the north. Being a Scot in England certainly hasn't hindered many of the lecturers I know. Most the people I know hope Scotland do well in the sport, and wish us well. I do tend to grit my teeth and not suggest that I'll be jumping up and down when England lose.  I know one person that got very upset when I mentioned that I wasn't rooting for England and tried to explain the general feelings the Scots, Welsh and Irish have about England!

It is true, however, that a lot of the people down here are certainly very ignorant of scottish culture, history and that scotland IS in most ways a seperate country. Then again these same people don't understand there are differences between themselves and the Welsh, Cornish or even Geordies, Scouse and Yorkshiremen so it really is down to ignorance rather than anti-scots sentiment. In fact a lot of them don't even really realise that the Republic of Ireland is a completely seperate country! (As a side note they also tend to think anyone from Scotland supports either Rangers or Celtic)

In regards to the choice of match - Say you were organising the matches for the football tomorrow night, and you can put Ukraine vs Italy on the main channel, or your other choice is England vs Russia ... would you rather see a match that impacts your team, or a meaningless match between two teams you don't particular care about. Not to mention that the Republic of Ireland and the Scotland matches were pretty much a complete waste of time as a spectacle, and both of those groups only really get interesting for the final 2 games of the group. I can't stand the attitude of the English media, the constant references to '66, etc, but I've seen welsh and scots commentary every bit as biased. I don't expect any different. I generally turn the commentary off and listen to something different

And lets face it, look through parliament... the English may have control of the media, but they're certainly aware who's running the show! (again this not some something that is really all that resented, unless you're purposefully trying to stir up a politics debate with some English people and purposefully mention it. it seems to me that most the people here aren't all that clued up about politics apart from at election time anyway and I knew one person who voted for one party because he preferred their colour and badge!)

Generally I feel the English media is so bad BECAUSE england has no real identity. It's a shame, but they only identity they can even feign is being insufferable when it comes to sport. I really can't stand the general attitude of the English or the English media when it comes to sport, for example the delight in crushing smaller countries into oblivion - which hasn't happend much often :D. But I also think far to many people attribute to malice what should really be attributed to stupidity and ignorance.

At the end of the day we're lumbered with not only the arrogance, but also the ignorance of the South East based media for the foreseeable future.

p.s. on the banknotes thing - it's down to ignorance rather than anti-scots. Unless of course eastern europeans, for example, are anti scots too? there are plenty of times when I've had comments about using scottish banknotes down south which haven't been from an englishman. Some people just don't realise that Scotland has different notes. And if you're responsible for what goes in and comes out of the till would you really accept notes you've never seen before? Some places I shop accept euros too, others don't, for me it tends to be pot luck.

p.p.p join the welsh, the northern irish, and the north of england on the programme selection issue.

Let's enjoy today - one of the only times that Scotland will be mentioned in the headlines before England and receive some much deserved credit.

:clapping03: :clapping03: :clapping03:

PB is from Birmingham, his phone was was going berserk last night after the match with congratulations messages from south of the border.

I've experienced racism and been targeted in England due to my accent, I've also been targeted in Scotland for living in Birmingham and "sounding English"!  You can't win!

Sometimes I think it comes down to how secure you are with who you are and your nationality.

You'll always get neds - everywhere.

Hopefully Scotland can continue this form, our football gets taken seriously...and the banter (which is good fun when in jest) continues.....

Mrs PB

And the Scottish media getting all excited about how Scotland are going to qualify is not arrogance? The only significant result we've achieved is a lucky 1-0 win at home to France. We beat Faroes and Lithuania home and away (wooppeefeckingdoo, they're real world-beaters). Our main rivals, Italy and Ukraine, both beat us comfortably away, so unless we beat them both at home, and beat Georgia away, we're going nowhere next summer.

There's an apparent sense of expectation that, when we beat France on Wednesday, we've qualified. I'll be astonished if France don't skin us for 3 or more, and I'll be equally surprised if we win any of our other remaining fixtures. I fully expect us to finish 4th, which is level-par, yet the Scottish media will view that as a catastrophic failure given our current points tally.

:finger02: :finger02: :finger02: :finger02: :finger02:  :finger02: :finger02: :finger02: :finger02: :finger02: :finger02:  :finger02: :finger02: :finger02: :finger02: :finger02:  :finger02: :finger02: :finger02: :finger02: :finger02: :finger02: :finger02: :finger02: :finger03:

Guest TinCanFan

I was listening to the radio last night and heard James Whale say that he wanted no Scottish callers and that he was sick of Scots telling him the result.  He then went onto say that the England result was better because they scored more goals and in his opinion England were still the only "power-house" football team in the UK which is now not necessarily so in my opinion.  Just shows how little he knows about the beautiful game.

Can I suggest in future, for anyone watching an Engand game on t.v,

that you turn down the sound, tune in to Radio 5 Live, and listen to

Alan Green's ( Northern Irish, Bigoted, near r-cist ) commentaries. He

relentlesly savages the English team , even if they play brilliantly... and

there is only ever one great English performer....Gerrard. By the way ...

Green is a liverpool fan

Anti Scots in England.........try using a Scottish banknote outside of the holiday towns.

As for TV........Four million Scots pay for a licence but get ignored when it comes to programe selection.

Richie, you've had good experiences..........too many of us have had bad. As for multi-cutural England, it has the most racist population in europe and probably the world.

That's down to ignorance - when i get handed a abnk of ulster banknote i normally have to check with sum1 whether i can accept it becausei havn't got a clue if it is real or not. I havn't had many problems with them but occaisionally i do - I can live with it.