FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

End of season decision on Marius

RiG

If you put every other aspect of his time with us so far to the side other than what he's done on the pitch then there's no doubt in my mind that Marius MUST be kept at the club unless someone came in with an offer we simply couldn't refuse.  That is my opinion based on what I have seen on the pitch, the fact he's been constantly improving and also the fact that with a full pre-season working with the squad and getting to know each other properly etc then I feel he'd be more than capable of providing 18 goals next season.

Of course, it's not that simple in the minds of many people......

Despite what you believe his salary to be, we've already had a couple of statements from the club saying that he's bought and paid for and budgeted in to next seasons plans.  Granted if we moved him on then it would free up wages for a couple of other players to come in, but where are we going to find someone of Marius' ability for lesser money?

We've seen some unrest in the dressing room, and that has been partly attributed to the fact Marius was on a higher wage, but we look to have come through that.  We've "suffered the pain" of breaking the wage structure and to let him go now for anything other than financial (getting a big fee) or football (getting a cheaper replacement who is as capable) would be cutting off our nose to spite our face.  It would mean that all the troubles of this season would have been for nothing.

We struggle as it is to bring in players due to geography, why oh why, when we find someone who likes it here, who's playing ok and who is in no hurry to leave do we seem so intent in shipping him out the door?

If it was me who was making the decision, I'd have Marius in and I'd be offering him a 1 year extension in order to protect our investment, because you can be as sure as anything that if we don't and he stays another season then he'll have a stormer of a season and when it does come time for him to move on we'll end up with diddly squat.

Marius was a ballsy signing by ICT and for me this is the first major test of the new Chairman to see if he has what it takes to carry it through and take full advantage of the opportunity that's staring us in the face.

I agree that Marius should stay on next season. As for the Couriers ascertion that only Romanian based players will make the Euro team....er Adrian Mutu anyone!!

anyway,,,the people behind the "dressing room unrest" should really look at what career there in...football has no market median in reards to wages, so if they  feel hard done  by that Marius is getting a larger wage....thats because he is an International player with some talent...so should earn a larger wage on the pitch otherwise shut up.

Marius is what we need to keep those seats warm. Disgusting as it is a named player gets the crowds in

As for the Couriers ascertion that only Romanian based players will make the Euro team....er Adrian Mutu anyone!!

I believe the courier was saying that part of the squad will be announced tomorrow, and that part will contain only Romanian-based players. Non Romanian-based players who have made the squad will be announced later.

I agree entirely with Caley D.

Strangely enuff - so do I. Marius can only improve but it is highly dependent on whether he makes the squad or not. It would be his "lifeline" to move on to a higher plain (a mistake IMHO). This is in fact a shame as I find myself torn between wanting Marius to be shunned and play fer ICT or far Marius to be picked and probably leave.  :024:

But how he has got himself into the reckoning, based on performance, simply beats me - unless the strong rumour of the Orion "swansong" was true ?

We shall know tomorrow then ?

I agree that Marius should stay on next season. As for the Couriers ascertion that only Romanian based players will make the Euro team....er Adrian Mutu anyone!!

no what is happening is players from the Romanian league are being announced on Monday as their league is finished on Sunday, Marius was invited to leave next Tuesday to join the squad but said that as he has commitments to ICT i.e. games to play would rather stay and play for ICT.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Stain Midden or the Euros - No feckin choice there.

It wasnt a case of not going would have effected his chances of going, it was just he was given the choice of joining the squad early with the players that have finished thier season but he opted to stay and play remaining games of the season