FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

What happened with Juanjo?

Libero

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if he did.  Any other international-qualtiy player joined us and I would be suspicous from the off, but I get the sense that Marius enjoys his time in Inverness, and likes the club.  Also, he did have bigger offers on the table when we offered him a contract, so maybe he has his feet on the ground and money isn't really a big issue for him?

Back on subject, Juanjo would be a good signing for us, and is one of few players left who have a real passion for the club.

I very much doubt if he would sign with us, I think Brewster just took him on trial as we were on a bad run at the time and a lot of people were calling for his sacking and he believe taking him here would get some of the fans back on side.

I get the sense that Marius enjoys his time in Inverness, and likes the club.  Also, he did have bigger offers on the table when we offered him a contract, so maybe he has his feet on the ground and money isn't really a big issue for him?

I think you are correct. Marius does seem to like it here and although he is on a higher wage than our other players there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he could have got more elsewhere if he had taken another offer. I think getting back into the international side was a bigger desire for him than money and I am guessing - looking at his career path - that he figured he might have a better chance of that if he played for a less fashionable side where he was a bigger fish so to speak.

I also would not underestimate the value of his friendship with Stevico. I believe that Steve showed the club videos of Marius and made the point that he could be available ... the rest of the signing saga we know about for the most part ... but if Steve and Marius were not friends I very much doubt that Marius would even have entertained the idea of coming to ICT.

On the other side of the coin .... the club are also starting to find out about both the financial and PR benefits of having a player like Marius within their ranks .... look at the comments on here yesterday from fans excited and very positive about hearing ICT mentioned on TV at the euros, or seeing their "mate" Marius on the park, look at the newspapers where reports mention that he plays for ICT, look at how excited Grassa is about getting his hands on 60K he didnt know he would have so that Brewster could possibly get at least one additional player ! It all raises the profile of the club in the same way as the Parkhead result did in 2000.

I really hope ICT try to work with him to extend his contract as having an international player at the club who plays for a top nation (no disrespect to Hastings but Canada are world ranked at 60, Romania are 12) can only continue to raise our profile and hopefully mean we will actually attract players who previously would say "Inverness who?"

To stay vaguely on topic .... If Juanjo was good enough he will get a contract but the silence since the trial seems to suggest he may not have been the Juanjo we all remember and enjoy.

Marius moved to ICT to help him get back in the Romanian national team.

He's done that - why would he want to leave now?...

Money?...  If that was the case he wouldn't have come here in the first place.

I am absolutely delighted for Marius and its wonderful hearing ICT mentioned at Euro 2008, I think he appreciates what ICT have done for him maybe even more than we appreciate what he has done for ICT.  I don't think he wants to leave us.

As an aside its interesting watching an ICT player at the Euros and thinking back to Mark Browns comments about having to move away from ICT to get into the international set up!  (no disrespect meant to Mark whatsoever.)

Guest birdog

why would he want to leave now?...

Money?...  If that was the case he wouldn't have come here in the first place.

You are so right but you forgot to factor in that even if Marius does want to stay it might not be the offer of money to Marius that sees him leave ICT.

I spoke to Marius a few times this season, and on one occasion I asked him if he enjoyed life here and was he going to stay (this was shortly after Savage's departure). He said he "loved it here" but its a matter of can ICT afford to pay him. I asked him if he would be willing to take a pay cut then  :tic01:, to which he responded with a chuckle, but didn't actually give me an answer  :007: :015:  How rude...

I get the feeling that he will be forced out the door, but if the caley board had any sense they would keep him.  He's only going to get better and better.  From Marius's point of view, he has found a club where he can be the star and fans favourite, hes back in the romania squad and he is apparently enjoying life immensely where he is.  Why go?

Plus, just to be slightly on topic, if juanjo does sign, that would be the best strike partnership in the spl IMO. :021:

• 2 weeks later...

Brewster needs to do something to seal the deal for the fans respect. Having completed a fairly good signing in Andy Barrowman this would be a good move for Juanjo.

He has unfinished buisness as i feel his orignal Caley career was cut short by that horrific injury. I wish they had perharps stuck by him a bit more when he came back. But him, Barrowman and maybe someone like Donaldson up front would be good. It would also give the fans an idol if the Romanian god goes  :rolleyes02:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure I heard tonight that they are not offering him a contract and he is off back to Spain.........I don't blame him.

Surely we could use him as a squad player at least? If Black and Cowie are offski there's a hole in midfield and he has an eye for the goal.

Sure I heard tonight that they are not offering him a contract and he is off back to Spain.........I don't blame him.

Surely we could use him as a squad player at least? If Black and Cowie are offski there's a hole in midfield and he has an eye for the goal.

Surely there are younger Scots who we can get who can be 'squad players' ?

as much as we would all enjoy Juanjo coming back, that opinion is hugely based on sentiment. He was a good player for us and most of us liked him but if he is not good enough for a contract at a mid placed 1st division side, he is certainly not SPL quality any longer.