FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

What "nationality" are you?

TomCaleyJag

What Nationality do you consider yourself?  

116 members have voted

1. 1.

• Scottish
    • British

Cheers for that Scotty. I have argued the point wrongly on more than one occasion, looks like I need to apologise to some folks. Just goes to show believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you read. :rotflmao:

EDIT- A thought just occurred to me when I hit "post"

I know that the oath of allegiance in the states requires you to "solemnly renounce all prior allegiences or nationalities" but you can still retain your UK/Euro passport, the ex-pat boards do however suggest that "duals" enter and leave the US using their US passport (not sure why).

This is kind of strange when so many Americans claim to be "Scottish American" "Irish American" "African American" etc etc. :thumb04:

Edited by birdog

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I was Born In Scotland. Scotland is a country. IN much the same way as someone born in say France is French....I consider myself Scottish.

There is a difference. You don't have a Scottish Passport, you have a British one. According to International Law you're British not Scottish. That doesn't mean to say you can't consider yourself Scottish, Im just saying it IS different to France.

Yea but, No but, aren't Passports European Passports now ? does that mean we all have lost our Nationality or our connection with our Heritage ?

Canada Bob.

Edited by Canada Bob

I am eligible to become a Canadian now .......... nah, will stick with being Scottish I think !

The best option Scotty is to have both, carrying a Canadian Passport has its advantages, but although I've carried a Canadian Passport for 23 years now I've not noticed any change in my Wigin accent, or my liking of fish an' chips, etc.

I feel a lot more allegiance to Canada than I do to England, I had no choice in where I was born, but I had a choice 27 years ago, and it was the best decision I ever made.

Canada has given me more than I could have dreamed of, if I'd stayed in the Untidy Kingdom I'd be knackered like most of my mates are. I wouldn't go back to the standard of living my mates have in Wigin, but most of them who didn't get out when they had a chance now wish they'd b*ggered off when I did.

The bottom line for me is, I will always have a romantic attachment to Wigan/Lancashire, it's the land of my forefathers, they worked the mines and fought for King & Country in two world wars, so they like many others paid in their "blood sweat & tears" for the land they stood on, and I'll always respect that, but the reality is, they'd have been better of b*ggering off 100 years ago.

It's one thing to have a romantic attachment to a country, or even a part of it, {I see folks in here count themselves as Highlanders, great to have a link with your heritage}, but if all that my land can offer me is life in Coronation {or some such similar} Street, why the b*llocks would I stay ?

What benefit would I have seen from 50 years of slogging along in the grimy North West, carrying the cost of work shy r soles and ASBO holders on my back, am I glad I got out...

It's the romantic attachment {which most of us have} vs the reality of the day, like Passports, it's nice to have both.

Canada Bob.

Edited by Canada Bob