Barry Robson (Celtic)

Kevin Thomson (Rangers)

Forwards

Kris Boyd (Rangers)

David Clarkson (Motherwell)

Steven Fletcher (Hibernian)

James McFadden (Birmingham City)

Kenny Miller (Rangers)

If I were to name any ICT players, the only ones that might get considered right now, and even then for experience with the squad rather than starting players, would be Cowie and/or Black but I suspect they need to have a good season before that is even a possibility.

It may not be the strongest of squads but there's a decent first 11 in there.

Darren Barr and Kris Commons! Didn't see that coming. And Callum Davidson. When last did he play for Scotland!

As for Caley Thistle players, i don't think we a player of that class just now. Maybe Blackie or Cowie in a couple of years.

At least Burley has showed that he's willing to give players from smaller teams a chance by picking Barr. He's also picked David Clarkson ahead of O'Connor and McCormack.

Leaving out Maloney, McCulloch and Dailly takes balls - but those players haven't been performing for club or country.

Fair play to you Mr Burley.

Hopefully Burley will go further down the route that if you are consistently playing well for your club side then it doesnt matter who you currently play for ....

McCulloch I think is a decent player but never a playmaking central midfielder, as he's doing at the moment. Maloney also seems to play well for Villa but always gets taken off and starts on the bench the next week. I've noticed that happening even when he was man of the match (even when he scored two goals one week). MON, as at Celtic, just doesn't seem to rate him as a first-teamer.

I must say im impressed by Burley. He dosen't care if SPL players play for the old firm or not like previous managers...he simply picks them if there playing well for there team which i like.

Bringing Kris Commons into the fold was a good idea...seen him play on telly, nippy wee player.

Whatever happened to Quashie? He didn't play for West Ham at all last year. You would think he would have recovered by now.

Deja vu for me I'm afraid!

Any ****** with a third rate English league club who can spell Scotland gets a look in. Don't care who they are or how good I draw the line when qualification means a fortnights holiday in Embo with your Auntie Jessie.

I'd rather play and lose with Highland League boys.

Is Alan Hutton injured, as he better be if Whittaker is in the squad. Replace his 1st initial with S and you'll get a true likening as to his recent performances.

Calum Davidson - How on Earth?

McCulloch has never let down for Scotland nor has Dailly (except v Faroes in 2-2 debacle) Weir isnt showing enough and is slowing up so doesnt deserve it.

O'Conner should be there also. Who is Kris Commons?

Darren Barr aint ready in my opinion but he's promising and talented.

Im wary about the Burley era now even though I thought him best candidate for job at the time.

Glad to see Kevin Thompson finally in there.

Pooh pooh to those that say Black isn't good enough for Scotland. In recent months Blackie has made among others Scott Brown, Paul Hartley and Scott Severin look distinctly average.

What Black is lacking that is generally key for international players is:

A.Consitency

B.Experience

Hutton, Ferguson and Pearson are all injured for the game.

I think Burley is seeing that the squad needs a bit of a freshen up because the likes of Dailly and Weir are so done.

Is Alan Hutton injured, as he better be if Whittaker is in the squad. Replace his 1st initial with S and you'll get a true likening as to his recent performances.

Calum Davidson - How on Earth?

McCulloch has never let down for Scotland nor has Dailly (except v Faroes in 2-2 debacle) Weir isnt showing enough and is slowing up so doesnt deserve it.

O'Conner should be there also. Who is Kris Commons?

Darren Barr aint ready in my opinion but he's promising and talented.

Im wary about the Burley era now even though I thought him best candidate for job at the time.

Glad to see Kevin Thompson finally in there.

Agree with most of your post, highlighted bits especially

I am quite glad McCulloch & Dailly have been dropped though, I think they have been average at best for Rangers and for their ages we'd be as well trying out younger players

I can't believe we still don't have a better option at left back than Naysmith. McEveley is surely worth another try... if only Steven Smith would stop getting injured :rotflmao: or Hastings was Scottish

I'd have actually preferred Broadfoot in the team than Davidson... I mean really what has Davidson done recently that merits a call up to the first team.. I'd even prefer Alexander... or my mum

I think our midfield and forwards are decent but the defence is truely worrying

Cowie and Black are well off a call up I'm afraid.... a good season and they might be in consideration but at the moment there are 6/7 players ahead of them

Yeah, the defence is really worrying. There are only 2 defenders there that don't give cause for concern. I would bring Graham Alexander in, he's great in a Scotland shirt.

Its obvious that Burley is getting rid of players over a certain age which is fine but some of the new (or recalled from International oblivion) faces worry me.

I do have every faith in Burley but I will say that with that squad I'm glad it is a friendly we are playing.

I do have every faith in Burley but I will say that with that squad I'm glad it is a friendly we are playing.

I am in two minds over this. IMHO, it is good to try and get some fringe players in for friendlies and see if they can do a job for you in the qualifiers, but every game, friendly or not is ranked by FIFA and if you put out an experimental team and lose, you slip down the rankings ......

• 2 weeks later...

I am delighted there are no ICT players involved in the Scotland squad.

I don't want our team broken up any more and an international call up is like a radar beacon for the "big" clubs to home in on and aquire the signature of our top players.

Look at Barry Robson, playing well but happy enough to stay at Tannadice then he gets his call up and has a couple of half decent games the next thing he is signing for Celtic. Marius also, happy to stay at the club gets a few games with Romania and if the press are to be believed then there were clubs queueing up for his signature. Marius probably had his best run for us just before and during the winter transfer window but no takers until he gets the cap.

Now to all of you guys shouting for Black and Cowie to get their recognition in the national set up, how easy do you think it would be to get these guys to extend their currently short contracts? How much do you think we would get for them in the January window when they get more noticed by the bigger clubs, remembering that they could be snapped up on pre-contracts or released for nominal fees?

Don't complain that we don't have a Scotland international on our books, count the blessings.

an international call up is like a radar beacon for the "big" clubs to home in on and aquire the signature of our top players.

:rotflmao: - Totally agree. I would far rather we got the likes of Black, Cowie and our youngsters like Duff and Vigurs on decent contracts well before any call-ups to the full or U21 squads.

Similar thing happened over here with Maurice Edu !!! Good player, MLS Young Player (rookie) of the Year last season, and now settling in at Ibrox after clubs started to take notice of him when he was selected for both the USA full team and the USA Olympic team.

The same will happen with Marvell Wynne, the hard as nails right back of TFC who has the speed of a whippet but tackles like a demon. He is not yet the finished article, but I predict that he will end up in Europe within the next 12-18 months.