FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

January Transfer Window.

FortressICT

Ok, its about 2 and a half months away. But with a few injuries, suspensions in our squad already, we are looking very thin.

A lot of us stated this in the summer, if this situation arose.

I think, 2 big CBs, a decent speedy winger (to replace Barry) and 2 new Strikers. Brew has already stated he'll take someone in to replace Markus, so hopefully thats the winger covered. In the last Jan transfer window he took in a so far decent player in Imrie, another winger like him would be good.

So, what positions do people think need strengthened and any idea on players?

1 Centre Half....2 might be too hopeful. Cant see why we would need 4 strikers at the club. Maybe a defensive midfielder

we already have 4 strikers at the club, Rooney, Barrowman, Wood and Mcallister, 5 if you include Imrie.

agree with the centre half and either a defensive or attacking midfielder to add depth to the squad.

Even though we changed a lot of personnel recently, I don't think we are that far away from having a very solid team - with the addition of someone to stop the leak of goals at the back and someone to bang em in at the front we would be pretty much sorted !!!

Recent articles in the paper have said there is no real progress in Proctor's recovery so we dont have cover at RB if Rosscoe is injured or suspended (a situation that will arise soon given he now has 5 yellows) or playing crap. [Toronto FC's Marvell Wynne (USA international, young, solid defender with blazing pace, but not yet the finished article) would be a good capture but I imagine he is destined for England at the end of the MLS season (thats the rumour anyway) and we probably couldnt afford him].

I think we all acknowledge the need for another centre half - we do have Duff, McGuire, Munro and Hastings can also play there but each week we hear grumbles about errors in defence from one player or another that has cost us goals and possibly games. Not sure who the answer would be, or even if the answer is staring us in the face with some partnership of our existing players that is yet to 'click' but competition for places would at least keep everyone on their toes.

Midfield I think we are OK - even with Patti going we still have Black, Duncan, Vigurs, Imrie, Cowie, McBain, Wilson and Sutherland (as well as Gillespie and Rennie).

Up front worries me a little - We have Rooney and Barrowman who appear to be the first two names in the frame and neither of them is banging them in quite yet although they may do soon. Wood has potential and so does Rory if he can somehow put his reserve team confidence into first team games. Imrie can also play here too but depending on who is available in the window, perhaps we need to bring in a proven (veteran?) goalscorer until these young talents can show they can do it week in and week out.

I tend to agree that we have a pretty fair squad of players at the moment. I would prefer it if the club concentrated on those key members of the squad who will be out of contract and therefor free to talk to other clubs come January.

As far as further recruitment is concerned, with the development of Jamie Duff this season, my only real continuing concern is that we don't have a single seasoned forward on the books. The strikers we have are no doubt skillful which much potential but to make progress at SPL level, rather than battling relegatio, I believe that we need to bring in a capable mature forward with something of a proven record at this level or similar.

The trouble is that such players are thin on the ground and tend to command the sort of salary that might just puncture our wage structure and the last time we went down that particular route was hardly a resounding success.

1 centre back, preferably a tall one

1 wide player(preferably quick and good crossing)

1 decent and experienced striker to provide competition for Rooney and Barrowman

I think we need a right back or centre half preferably someone who could do both.

A right winger.

An big experienced striker.

I think with the 3 of these we should be fine.

Up front worries me a little - We have Rooney and Barrowman who appear to be the first two names in the frame and neither of them is banging them in quite yet although they may do soon. Wood has potential and so does Rory if he can somehow put his reserve team confidence into first team games. Imrie can also play here too but depending on who is available in the window, perhaps we need to bring in a proven (veteran?) goalscorer until these young talents can show they can do it week in and week out.

In fairness Scotty, Rooney isn't getting much of a chance. I really feel Brew should be starting Rooney more, with either Garry Wood or Barrowman.

you could be right - in fairness to me, I wasnt actually slagging either of them off though. I think both will come good.

No Scotty, I know you're statement wasn't slagging the players.

I'd just been thinking earlier that I'd been expecting great things of Rooney just after his signing, but he's no' really getting much of a run yet, early days I suppose.

We definitely need an experienced striker. How can the likes of Rooney and Wood develop without an older head to take the pressure of them and guide them through games?

Of our 4 strikers, McAllister is the one with the most SPL experience and Barrowman is the eldest at 23. None of them are proven goalscorers at this level.

Did Brewster choose to start the with such an inexperienced front line or was his hand forced? Either way, it's bad management and needs to be sorted in January.

I think we need a right back or centre half preferably someone who could do both.

A right winger.

Get someone who can do all three: Kevin Muscat. Bringing in old Craig Moore could be pretty good too though bringing in both might be a bit expensive. I'd settle for bringing back big Bobby though.

we definitely need a 6'3 plus CB that's for sure, we really struggle to win the ball in the air in defence as our defenders are usually smaller than the strikers they play against...now i know heading is all about timing but we do need that pressense in the CB roll.

possibly a player that can play both RB and LB effectively.

we have enough midfielders.

we need an experienced striker to guide our younger strikers.

Edited by CaleyP

We aquired a six foot three plus Centre back during the Summer transfer window. What we really need is a reliable one.

yes i maybe should have put that in there, obviously i dont think we should buy just anyone of that dimensions, he needs to be able to play as well, i just thought that went without saying. :rotflmao:

We aquired a six foot three plus Centre back during the Summer transfer window. What we really need is a reliable one.

Who was that? Zadi is 6' 2"....pedantic I know

to be fair Alex your correct, Zadi is only 6'2". i'm 6' and he was only a tiny bit taller when i met him.

it definately going to be a case of looking to the lower leagues for talent, so with that in mind. what about steven milne as an experienced striker who can score goals as well.

i also agree that if we can afford it we should try and get james mcpake from livingston. if not he is probably going to end up at midden after it was reported that they were trying to sign him again.