FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Some praise for a change

Alex MacLeod

Big game against the league leaders and champions on saturday. A narrow one goal defeat and yet the site is void of any constructive criticism. Had we playe crap and got humped by five or six there'd be hundreds of posts calling for the heads of any and everyone.

On saturday we played very well. Apart from a little blip that led to the goal our defense held strong and really stopped any Celtic attack. The midfield was excellent to a man and Gary Wood ran his socks of and gave the best defensive pairing in Scotland quite a headache. The tactics were right and the changes up front made with plenty of time to be effective. I would say that maybe Barry should have got a bit longer to be effective but who would he replace. Everyone gave 100% and kept shape throughout. Just a pity we couldn't score.

So well done to the team and management on providing some good entertainment on a very cold day.

A narrow one goal defeat and yet the site is void of any constructive criticism.

Did my part :thumb04:

had to rely on open-all-mics today and the coverage was disappointing to say the least ... but it sounded like we gave it a good go today but just couldn't score ...... so :rotflmao: for a good attempt.

' So well done to the team and management on providing some good entertainment on a very cold day '

' Just a pity we couldn't score.'

I'd rather have a goal...

So if we had a choice would you prefer goals or play well, this season we are finding out that our strikeforce are not going to score double figures - between them.

' So well done to the team and management on providing some good entertainment on a very cold day '

So if we had a choice would you prefer goals or play well, this season we are finding out that our strikeforce are not going to score double figures - between them.

I think that most would be happy with the commitment that was shown by the team on saturday, it has been pointed out that there was no fight in the team this year and the tactics were wrong, although I wasnt there on sat these two things were both apparently right.

Yes we are struggling up front and I dont see an easy answer to that problem.

bear in mind that last season the club took in Marius, very experinced, he played in the Euros and he struggled to get into double figures.

Getting past, arguably, the best defensive pairing in the league will always be a problem but, I believe, if we play against most of the other teams in the league with the same style and committment as we did on saturday we will score goals.

That's just it Alex, teams usually raise their game when up against the OF (hence the flood of criticism after Castle Greyskull showing).

Its not games against the OF that will shape how our season turns out but games against the likes of Utd at home, St Midden away and Dons at home.

If we play with same style and committment in these next three games then definitely hats off to Brewster, in the meantime I still sitting on the fence

Listening to the radio commentary on Saturday its sounds as though shooting practice is needed, may well be on the cards for the first team at training today!!!!. If we can perform like we did on Saturday the next two games could be very productive and boost our points tally. Would be delighted to see Woody find that little extra and find the net on a regular basis, he is not far away from cracking it.

Thought we played as well, if not better than 'tic, in fact they started time wasting with 15 minutes to go!

Imrie was my MOTM, the only criticism was that we seemed scared to shoot at times.

Much better passing than the usual punt from defence directly to the forwards.

Woeful linesman on the nearside cutting off Cowie's one on one with Boruc, shame he didn't flag for Maloney's goal...who said old firm conspiracy? :rotflmao:

Over the last few weeks, it sounds like our defence have tightened up and are playing better, our midfield is continuing on as it always has, but we are still as blunt as a fairground dart up front.

The defence seems to be better these last few weeks. There are still a few lapses which is unfortunate, but they have certainly improved. I have always been a firm believer that the defence and goalie give each other confidence, and since Esson came in, the defence seem to be able to concentrate on defending better. Is this because Esson talks more to them? has a better presence in his box? or what? I like Fraser, think he is a good keeper, but the improvement seems to have co-incided with Esson coming in. what would those at games say it was down to?

Midfield has never been much of a worry to me ... we have a lot of good players there. My only real grumble (as a mere punter with no coaching badges) is that I tend to agree with IHE that left sided players should be playing on the left and not the right, and that Barry should be getting more of a run out late in games to try and snatch something when we need it but other than that, I am pretty content.

Up front is where I think we all agree something isnt working. Personally, I think that Barrowman, Rooney and Wood are all hot prospects who will come good in time. Unfortunately, time is not a luxury we have and they need help if they are not to burn out with all the expectation placed on them. If we can source an experienced striker during the transfer window who can bring the best out of them or help them along then that would be good. There must be a few out there who are available to sign or to loan ..... think out of the box Craig .... even as far afield as MLS !!! There are (decent) players in MLS who are currently shopping themselves around Europe for loan spells because the season is finished until April !!! There may be the odd nugget available even on a 3 or 4 month loan ? Although some of the top players in MLS can get quite high salaries, there are just as many on affordable wages ... and those wages are published online !!!

Getting past, arguably, the best defensive pairing in the league will always be a problem but, I believe, if we play against most of the other teams in the league with the same style and committment as we did on saturday we will score goals.....

.....when we get a striker. (Just thought I'd finish off your good post Alex.. :rotflmao: )

Missed the game, but very pleased with the Killie performance last week. But we are just not capable of scoring goals especially from the strikers, and having seen the cup draw we will struggle to get goals against a packed P*r*ick defence.

Its strange because this formation with 5 man midfield and Wood as a lone striker works very well away from home as we have won our last 2 away games with it.

But it was so terrible at home to Falkirk it was changed at half-time and not used in the following home game (no joy came from that either mind you)