Journeymen Players

latviaman

Just thought I would throw my hat in and ask, Foran, going nowhere as was Morais till Mr PR resurrected their career, so where do we look for new players? I know Pavels liked Invss but TB didn't like him (ask TB) money was NOt his prime concern and also he was in the Latvian National Team How do you drop an International??

So now, do we look to the lower leagues find a few journeymen whose legs haven't given out, and hope to scrape back into the SPL at our first attempt. I doubt that will happen, looking at TB's impressive management record as with MM's coaching credentials, I honestly cannot see it

I know this sounds very negative , but would like to hear other peoples views.

I know a team tries harder with a new manager but in the end he talks a good talk but didn't deliver

start collecting together a team that will stay together and play together, like we had before brewster ruined it all.

i'd rather see us mould a team over a few years that the fans can identify with and wants to play for the club, rather than put together a team of rushed transfers and 'journeymen' and get back to the spl at the first time of asking.

start collecting together a team that will stay together and play together, like we had before brewster ruined it all.

i'd rather see us mould a team over a few years that the fans can identify with and wants to play for the club, rather than put together a team of rushed transfers and 'journeymen' and get back to the spl at the first time of asking.

spot on , my thoughts exactly. where is IHE when you need him???/

Edited by latviaman

We had the core of a team who cared deeply for the club and were not interested in the money. In the two spells Brewster had here he was obsessed with creating entirely his own team and systematically rooted out the players who actually cared for the club.

In principle, I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to replace the likes of Foran, Morais and Black with 3 or 4 journeyman pros who might enable us to challenge for promotion or, at least, might allow younger players to come through at their own pace and buy the management time to bring in longer-term prospects. Plenty of clubs have done it in the past: one that really springs to mind is Kilmarnock 10-15 years ago, and they are now renowned as a team that brings through excellent young players. The ICT player who was arguably the most important in winning us promotion, David Bingham, was the ultimate journeyman pro.

In reality, it's not that simple. As with other aspects of the game, our location puts us at a disadvantage compared to other clubs: pros nearing the ends of their careers and settled in the central belt, for example, may not be prepared to up sticks and move to a club paying first division wages, especially if they could command similar wages nearer home. Also, how many experienced players willing to sign are there who would really make a difference to us? I can't think of too many. Jim Hamilton has been mentioned on various threads, but in the season just past, he made very little impact in a poor St Mirren team with a serious shortage of strikers. If he can't get a game for St Johnstone in the SPL, it might be worth enquiring about Paul Sheerin as a loan signing in January to fill the hole Blackie has left. Still, if TB can identify and attract a few decent, experienced names, I don't think it would be a bad idea at all.

Pavels was the best defender to have ever played for us, gutted to see him go. He'll undoubtably do very well just a shame it won't be in ICT colours.

Now abou getting players in, I'm just hoping we can keep hold of Foran, Odhiombo and Kerr - and maybe with a couple more additions we'd have a very strong team that could make a very good challenge for the title.

If we don't keep a hold of Foran, Kerr, Odhiambo and Morais then i'am hoping that will free up some cash to bring a few more players than originally planned.

It's dissapointing that we can't keep a hold of them but it wasn't much different in the SPL.

Really thought some of the younger fringe players would break through. Had high hopes of both Garry Wood and Iain Vigurs and maybe Zander Sutherland getting a run of games under their belts but sadly not to be.

Have to agree with you forresjags. Saw a few of them in action in reserve games on Setanta - and of course vigurs when he got some first team action. Just hope they don't go across the bridge!!