FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Positives / Negatives ?

Scotty

I received a private message earlier and the sender asked that it be posted. Why they couldnt post it themselves is a mystery but as there may be simple explanations to some of the issues raised that others may also be having a problem with i thought i would post it .....

CaleyJuanjo: Hi Scotty ............ regarding the "new" website, I really believe we have gone from the best in the SPL to a cliquey, user unfriendly disaster! May be teething problems - but looks a LOT worse. To be honest, the site was going down hill anyway, with so many negative comments about the club, staff and individual players that I often wondered if it really was an ICT site. Thought I should give you this feedback anyway. I'll maybe try again in a few months! I'd appreciate it if you could post this message on the forum.

Not sure how a site that was only launched 12 hours ago can already be cliquey ? especially as we invited back all users who had previously been excluded or warned and stated that everyone starts with a clean slate ?

It is true that we do require users to register to use things like messaging and the forums but it is open to all users to register. The 'groups' do not exclude anyone and are based mostly on post count. Everyone joins the everyone group and can later join the site members or internutters group. Joining different groups doesnt mean you see different forums, just that you can have a bigger signature, add bigger attachments etc.

User Unfriendly ? We tried to implement an easy 'tree' system for the menu. Is it difficult to navigate ? Our testers did not think so, nor do we .... or is it just because it is different ?

Would appreciate feedback either in here or by private message

I think it's looking good so far Scotty. The message board is far better, might take some people a while to get used to but it will come good in the end. Having seperate sites is definately the way forward.

A pat on the back to yourself and all others concerned for the obvious hard work thats gone on in making the change.

8)

Spent this evening navigating round the site. I'm impressed with the new functionality and improved look and feel. Well done guys. Hopefully everyone will soon move over from the old site and the thread count will increase.

I think Scotty should be commended for striving to get this site back to it's roots. I remember the "good ol' days" of a fans' forum independent from the club. I think it is an extremely good idea to go that way again with this site.

Just out of curiosity, what level of profanity is acceptable on here? How about:

Arse

Tit

for example? :twisted:

i think this site looks streets ahead of the old one,no complaints from me,the official section looks great also,but no pleasing everyone,my only complaint(due to my own stupidity no doubt) is i made a signature but it doesnt appear when i post :cry:

[mod="Scotty"]I have listed the answer to this question elsewhere where it was also asked. but to let you know, I have adjusted your profile to be displayed so it should show up on all your future posts[/mod]

Guest hm_murdock

I have been away (drunk) for a couple of days and came back to see the news about the new site. I personally think that it looks far better than the old one and is a lot more user friendly.

As it is unofficial who "owns" the site? I am only asking as I guess that the money to run it must be coming out of one (or a couple) persons pocket. Maybe we should encourage visitors to start clicking the google ads at the bottom to try and help pay for the site.

Guest ictdave

It took me a about an hour how to navigate the new system but i got used to it now im a natural

I think this sites much better than the old

WELL DONE :thumbsup:

couple of things to clear up

• Even though the old site was official, the money to run it always came out of my pocket with no contribution from the club other than access to people at the stadium and the odd complimentary ticket ! [not that it cost much other than domain registrations and the odd charge here and there for other stuff].
    Sportnetwork did not charge for hosting as they made revenue from the ads etc

• The idea on here is to be self financing but we will have to pay for hosting and if we go over our bandwidth we would have to pay that too. Many will have noticed the google ads at the bottom of the page and a couple of banners at the top. This is pretty much the total extent that we wish to go to with ads and hope that this will cover our costs. We may have the odd page sponsor or even a site sponsor in time and are toying with an 'affiliate' page and other stuff that you would have to physically go to a certain page to view but we will try to keep ads on the main site unobtrusive and out of users' faces so that means no popups, popunders, or 'intellitxt' ads. Even though you are required to register, we have no intention of ever making basic registration fee-based.

• Many people have said 'Well done Scotty' - Whilst I can take credit for the first 9 years of the 'old' site, there have been quite a few people who helped out over the last 3 since I moved across the pond. None moreso than Donald (CaleyD). This new site is a joint venture between us both and we figure that it took around 1500 hours development over the course of 3 months to get to this stage so any plaudits you send to me I will greatfully accept ... but please send them Donald's way too as he is equally 'to blame' for the site - PS if its broken, its his fault !!!

I have been heartened by most of the comments received this weekend and glad most like it. It is a little different and will take a bit of getting used to. We also had a few technical glitches that we didnt anticipate but hopefully that has eased a little. Please feel free to stick a note in the TECHNICAL SUPPORT - WEBSITE forum if you encounter difficulties.

Think the site is much improved on the older one only bad thing i see is that it takes a lot longer to read the message boards cause there are so many different rooms! Seemed simpler when it was just football and anything goes, but suppose ill get the hang of it soon enough :thumbup: Oh and theres a spell check!

Guest airbornejake

Well Scotty, i joined yesterday and couldnt wait to get on again today. A fantastic improvement and our own betting forum. CONGRATULATIONS to one and all who must have worked so hard for our benefit. :o

Guest sophia

I cannot agree with CaleyJuango that this site can be decribed as cliquey, but do agree that some postings (rants) on the old site were dispiriting.

The clean slate mentioned may have come at the right time.

I thank all who have worked to provide this platform for supporters to promulgate opinion.

As for being difficult to use, well things do get more complicated as one gets older!

First time on it Scotty and I am very impressed. Still like walking a tightrope a bit for me, but i'm no technical genius. I think you've all done a crackin job and I look forward to trying out the chat room later..............that's an offer if anyone wants to join me :wink: