FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Trialists...

Libero

Great news about Eagle, i think he could be a real coup for us. Dissapointing about the dutch boys but there you go. Still think we need to sort out right-wing but i'd imagine with more trialists already in and more to come in TB is trying to sort it.

Butcher mentions in the article that Eagles can play left or right. Imrie has already been used on both wings (how effective he is on one side is debateable) so there is a degree of flexibility there at least. Still would like to see another wide man and perhaps a creative central midfielder then I would be very happy with our lot.

I might give Terry a text now actually about my suggestions...

From what I gather Eagles is good with his left but can't use the right to save his life. Now I'm someone who would put left footers on the left and right footers on the right, A because it's the natural side and B, cause I like crosses. A decent speedy right winger is what's needed now IMO.

WOW twice in one day i agree with what you've said. He belongs on the left, yes he scored while on the right wing but if you'd seen it he had to turn it around to get it on his left, had he been right footed he'd have shot long before he did, If he plays at all on the right you will see what I mean.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apparently this Sanchez fella once played for Real Betis and here's something else to ponder. Tokely seems to be featuring at centre-half more often than not these days, and look at the squad. Proctor - right back, Cox - midfield or right back, and now Stratford who can also a right-back. For the love of God Terry put Tokely in there for godna sake. Four right backs in a squad of about 20ish, isn't that a couple too many? This poster says yes.

Butcher sees Danny Sanchez as a creative midfielder and was saying positive things about him in the press..

Danny Sanchez is apparently capable of playing on the right mid and Stratford can play anywhere across the middle and do a good job so they might be what we need after all. I've heard very mixed reviews about Bulvitis though.

Good to hear if that is the case. Feeling more confident about next season :lol:

Apparently this Sanchez fella once played for Real Betis and here's something else to ponder. Tokely seems to be featuring at centre-half more often than not these days, and look at the squad. Proctor - right back, Cox - midfield or right back, and now Stratford who can also a right-back. For the love of God Terry put Tokely in there for godna sake. Four right backs in a squad of about 20ish, isn't that a couple too many? This poster says yes.

if you split the pitch in to 4 corners we have all parts covered. with forward and def coverd well. I think we need Cox can and will play an attacking mid field and i dont see Eagles playing left back at all unless needed.

Tokely played right back the game I watched and IMO isnt fit enough to play in mid and get back for def and run forward for att, He is a legend on the back line.

In saying that, I may have my wires crossed, I seem to have a mentle block as to who it was playing Center back V Elgin, was it Bulvitis or De Wagt?

both !!!! - Bulvitus in the first half, de Wagt in the second.

I am feeling positive about the coming season.

Forget about the pain of relegation for a moment and just cast your minds back to Butcher/Malpas in charge at Motherwell. They went there at probably the worst time in that club's recent history (administration, player redundancies etc) and proceeded to rebuild a squad on a shoestring from signings of decent calibre youngsters slotting in with the established pros ........ all our recent trialists seem to be quite young, early 20s at most, and with the ICT youngsters coming into the squad as well as what looks like a promising signing in Lee cox, who is also a youngster, it seems Butcher is attempting a similar rebuilding job ....... lets hope it has similar results ;)

In saying that, I may have my wires crossed, I seem to have a mentle block as to who it was playing Center back V Elgin, was it Bulvitis or De Wagt?

both !!!! - Bulvitus in the first half, de Wagt in the second.

Ok, It was in the second half I could watch our back lines, and de Wagt look good IMH, but as I said TB has the "Master Plan" so who am I to comment ;)

So trialist wise .... we have the following

• Greg Kelly (GK) - still on trial - cant find any comments made about him to guage whether he might be offered something or not.
  • Narius Bulvitus (D) - still on trial. Again, no comments seem to have been made about this player so its hard to say.
  • Daniel Stratford (M) - still on trial. I would guess, based on the comments of Butcher in the P&J that he might offer Stratford a deal. He sees him as a utility player who can play at RB or in midfield. [source - P&J]
  • Danny Sanchez (M) - still on trial. I would guess that he might be offered something based on his couple of goals already and the fact that Butcher also sees him as a utility player who can play in a variety of positions. He specifically noted that Sanchez can play wide right and compared him to Morais [source - P&J]
  • Robert Eagle (LW) - sent home to consider a contract offer
  • Chris De Wagt - trial terminated: Butcher quoted as saying "even though he was a good player, just wasn't better than what we had already." [source - Courier]
  • Melvin Holwijn - trial terminated: Butcher quoted as saying "Melvin wasn't at a fitness level that we required." [source - Courier]
  • More trialists coming in but not before Saturday - no names or positions noted.

he did not finish bottom of the league with Motherwell and if you read the words in my post you should figure out that this is what I was referring to ! :lol:

From Motherwell FC website

Terry Butcher (2002 ? 2006)

On Eric Black?s departure his assistant, Terry Butcher, decided to stay on at the club and stepped up into the hot seat. Butcher had been a fearsome central defender playing for nine seasons at Ipswich before crossing the border to join Graeme Souness? revolution at Rangers.

He won 77 England caps during his career. After leaving Rangers he became player-manager at Coventry and later manager at Sunderland; he was sacked from both posts.

Butcher?s time at Fir Park is remembered with affection.

His first game saw him lead a club under threat of extinction to a 4-1 win at Rugby Park. From there he stayed with the club through difficult times, the first full season under his care, 2002-2003 saw us finish bottom, only Falkirk?s stadium problems saving us from relegation.

Despite the league worries, the team ran Rangers close in the Scottish Cup semi-final. The next two years brought top six finishes, a CIS Cup Final appearance and Celtic?s title hopes scuppered in the last few minutes.

2005-2006 was Butcher?s last year and he led us to another CIS semi final, only a defensive error allowing Celtic to sneak home. At the end of the season Butcher moved to Australia to take over at Sydney FC.

Source

OK, I stand corrected, he DID finish bottom, but like ICT he inherited someone else's mess so it was not all of his own doing !!!!

However he does seem to be using a similar gameplan to the one he had at Motherwell and hopefully he will be just as succesful as he was there !

OK, I stand corrected, he DID finish bottom, but like ICT he inherited someone else's mess so it was not all of his own doing !!!!

However he does seem to be using a similar gameplan to the one he had at Motherwell and hopefully he will be just as succesful as he was there !

Sorry but wrong again, he had a full season in charge there taking over in April 2002 and before that he was Eric Blacks assistant so it wasn't someone elses mess.

I just think theres too many folks on here with rose tinted glasses and I think they're in for a shock this season. I remember how hard each game was to win in the first division and there are a lot of good players in there looking to get noticed.

We're doomed to life in the lower echelons for more than one season, that's all I'm saying.

I read somewhere that Butcher was keen to recruit Kelly after watching him against Clach.

said on mfr tonight that we will have another g/k up on tiral,and he,ll play on sat.good that eagle has been offered a deal,but lets hope we can afford him! i think given our cut in wage bill it will be 1 from sanchez/stanford,1 for both trialist g/ks,and amybe we have a few defs coming on trial next week

Edited by blackieforce

Back from open night at the stadium. TB's body language (christ sound like IHE) and comments make me believe that

Daniel Stratford is probably next in line for a deal. The fact he is a utility player helps as well.

Terry talked about him more than any other player/trialist, saying he worked hard, always smiled and pointed out to the fans he played for DC, asked fans if they had heard of DC, and had a degree in sports science.

Terry did say he hoped to sign 2 next week, he looked over to the chairman at that point who jokingly gave him the ok.. then he went on to say in typical tongue in cheek style he'd like Mr chairman to ok another 7 players.

Edited by kiltarlity

wouldn't be suprised if he offers both Stratford and Sachez deals as they are both very different players and he aims to get a squad of about 22 players he said.

Sorry but wrong again, he had a full season in charge there taking over in April 2002 and before that he was Eric Blacks assistant so it wasn't someone elses mess.

I just think theres too many folks on here with rose tinted glasses and I think they're in for a shock this season. I remember how hard each game was to win in the first division and there are a lot of good players in there looking to get noticed.

We're doomed to life in the lower echelons for more than one season, that's all I'm saying.

Your right %th. The only thing you've failed to point out is that Motherwell were on the verge of administration and had to pay off a number of players and staff. His first full season the team was made up of mainly youth players. Remember Mark Brown. He was one of those made redundant at the time.

The only thing you've failed to point out is that Motherwell were on the verge of administration and had to pay off a number of players and staff. His first full season the team was made up of mainly youth players. Remember Mark Brown. He was one of those made redundant at the time.

I was merely providing facts, whereas the OP was clearly wearing rose tinted glasses.

I must say though that I am looking forward to the season and some entertaining football. I just think others on here should align their expectations with reality.