FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Trialists...

Libero

Wingers are forwards .

Wingers are midfielders who go forward from their position via the wing. Not to be confused with wing backs who go forward from the defensive line via the wing.

Winger

Like their defensive equivalents, there are two wingers in a side, starting on both touchlines alongside the central midfielders. Their tasks include pressurising the opposition fullbacks, attacking from wide positions and providing crosses into the box. However, as the position has developed, wingers have increasingly been called on to score goals, as they have the chance to run from deep positions and cause problems for defenders. The result has been the erosion of the old style of wingers like Stanley Matthews, who hugged the touchline, and an explosion of wingers who play much of their football closer to the centre of the pitch.

http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/posit...n_football.html

Edited by GeorgeG

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think we all recognise now that creative midfielders/wingers are what the squad lacks. In Duncan, McBain, Proctor and Cox, we've got the defensive midfield covered, but creativity is exactly what we lacked for most of last season (until Morais got fit) and will continue to lack without signings.

Manager Terry Butcher has welcomed another trialist to the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium today in the shape of ex-Leicester City winger Johnny Hayes. Hayes who is 22 years old and hails from Dublin will feature in tomorrow night's friendly against Forres Mechanics at Mosset Park

:015: Is it Robert the Bruce thats writing for the Website now?

It is somewhat ironic verbage given the Irish connection but cant see anything wrong with using the word "hail" in that context .... any other context and TB would probably boot his erse back down the road. Maybe someone at the stadium is winding our Tel up :015:

http://dictionary.reference.com/dic?q=hail...p;search=search

I think we are starting to have a link with Leicester City players or Ex-Leicester City players as if we sign him that would be 3 we have signed now

One of Leicesters coaches played with TB at Coventry so that may be our connection.

Glad to see we have another bright looking prospect in, he must be worth a look if he is in the Ireland U'21's.

This is how a team could line up if they had wingers:

Keeper

RB CB CB LB

CM CM CM

WR FC WL

(Winger) (Winger)

They are NOT Right/Left Midfeilders

My understanding was always that wingers were just like right and left midfielders, just more attacking and a bit further forward. ie -

------------CM-----------------CM---------

---RW------------------------------------LW

Edited by Renegade

Manager Terry Butcher has welcomed another trialist to the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium today in the shape of ex-Leicester City winger Johnny Hayes. Hayes who is 22 years old and hails from Dublin will feature in tomorrow night's friendly against Forres Mechanics at Mosset Park

:rolleyes: Is it Robert the Bruce thats writing for the Website now?

One of the problems with the english language is that too many words have too many different meanings, some of which not everybody will know. He hails from Dublin, you hail from Dornoch.

A whisper suggests that Sanchez has gone home to look at whats on offer from a spanish club before deciding where he wants to play. I understand he has enjoyed his time here and Butcher would like to sign him but he's being fair to himself and to the other club involved. We may see him back here.

I remember the old days when you had goalkeeper wingbacks, half backs and full backs. You had left and right wingers. You had wing forwards full forwards and centre forwards.

Formation along the lines of

GK

FB

RWB.............................LWB

HB

RW...........................LW

RWF.......CF.......LWF

FF

What you see there would be pretty much a modern 4-3-3 formation.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

I remember the old days when you had goalkeeper wingbacks, half backs and full backs. You had left and right wingers. You had wing forwards full forwards and centre forwards.

GK

FB

HB

RWF.......CF.......LWF

FF

Are you sure you're not thinking of something else Alex?

post-2081-1248279069.jpg

GK

FB

HB

RWF.......CF.......LWF

FF

Are you sure you're not thinking of something else Alex?

post-2081-1248279069.jpg

If wit was s*** and all that :D

Believe it or not Caley's connection with Leicester City goes back for decades--as far back as ages 15 or 16 for the Scarlet One....that is the mid 1950's.

Leicester City came up to Telford Street to play a friendly game against a Caledonian team , or maybe even it was a city select team , and won the game handily.

It was my first view of a team from "outer space"...i.e. outside the Highland League and frankly ,through my young boggled eyes whilst standing on the right of the park beside the trees, the visitors were slick and impressive.I also remember the visitors played in a white strip so the old memory is rock solid for important events in Scarlet's life...eh?

:025: :lol:

P&J says those Slovaks won't be offered deals but it seems to suggest that Bulvitis & Stratford will be.

Also mentions Butcher saying he thinks we need another striker, which is odd considering we have a fair few as it is

P&J says those Slovaks won't be offered deals but it seems to suggest that Bulvitis & Stratford will be.

Also mentions Butcher saying he thinks we need another striker, which is odd considering we have a fair few as it is

This is great news, Bulvitis looked good the games I saw him in, has a potential, Stratford last night was a great addition to the team of "Strangers" he stood out, also the Slovaks looked Awfull IMO last night.

Both Stratford and Bulvitis will be good signings should we offer them somethig imo.

The 2 Slovaks did struggle but i think the big guy Machovec would have been worth another look at. He seemed to be a hard worker and was unlucky not to get a goal.

Hope we get Bulvitis and Stratford in time for the Montrose game.

Both Stratford and Bulvitis will be good signings should we offer them somethig imo.

The 2 Slovaks did struggle but i think the big guy Machovec would have been worth another look at. He seemed to be a hard worker and was unlucky not to get a goal.

Hope we get Bulvitis and Stratford in time for the Montrose game.

Mochovec from what I saw was lucky not to have been booked, And seemed to run around like a headless chicken, the impression i got was he was putting himself about on the field to put a good show on, I didnt see him win any challanges that didnt involve him taking the other guy out, and if he lost the ball he swore in his native tounge and made out that it wasnt his fault, He didnt seem to be very good up front, maybe in the midfield but I still dont think he was good enough. the other lad was ok, but seemed to be lacking in pace, I think if he was played without Machovec he may have been better, he was smaller and less noticed...

Also seems he will be playing Esson.

Good, just need to work on his catching and not punching, and being able to clear danger balls from his Left....

Edited by georgeios