FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Asda

L_G

I don't blame ASDA for the U-Turn on the road, as has been said, they were basically being blackmailed into making the contribution by the local administration....not to mention being kept out for so long (and you'd have to be naive to believe Tesco hadn't been passing brown envelopes to them for that).

Had they been a little more accommodating in allowing ASDA to build a store in the first place, then perhaps ASDA may have felt a little more generous....to expect them to offer a "goodwill gesture" after the way they've been treated is ludicrous.

It's also not as black and white as the article makes out because Tesco actually own the land needed for the road improvement....so in effect, ASDA would basically be paying the Council to buy back that land from their competitor. Not to mention the fact that when ASDA originally agreed to assist with the funding the bypass over the canal was still "in the plan" and this has now been shelved so their would be no benefit to ASDA in terms of improving access to the store from this side of the City.

• 3 weeks later...

I see the clowns at the Highland Council are taking advice on the decision regarding Asdas back down over the road improvements. This could delay the building off the project by a year AND....worst of all, cost the tax payers ?100 000. Why are they being so obstructive? You have to question their motives at trying to deny the creation of 400 jobs!

Guest birdog

I see the clowns at the Highland Council are taking advice on the decision regarding Asdas back down over the road improvements. This could delay the building off the project by a year AND....worst of all, cost the tax payers ?100 000. Why are they being so obstructive? You have to question their motives at trying to deny the creation of 400 jobs!

The motives are quite easy to understand, Highland council pension fund has money tied up in Tesco. It's about time there was a public enquiry on this matter. SOURCE

The motives are quite easy to understand, Highland council pension fund has money tied up in Tesco. It's about time there was a public enquiry on this matter. SOURCE

Am I to understand, from the above, that none of the ?750 million is invested in Walmart either direct or via fund holdings?

If this be the case I feel they should have a close look at their fund managers.

Investing in Tesco returned a loss of circa 70% in the last 12 months, so if their stance was in defence of their holding it has cost them big time. Not the sort of argument that will win many debates, I'm afraid, but it looks good.

"We won't let Asda in, Jimack and this will lose us another 70% in their part of the pension fund. You know it makes sense!"

"Riteeenuf, Dan, super duper mun. You fair know your way around this investments"

• 4 weeks later...

I see the latest chapter in this whole debacle involves no other than Local Mr Wannabe big shots David Sutherland and David Cameron. They are now taking up the Challenge to the development that Highland Council threatened, regarding the road upgrade. I hope the pair of clowns waste Hundreds of thousands of pounds challenging it ....and then Oh how i will laff if they lose!

This whole thing stinks....as they use the same legal company that Tesco use. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Sutherland needs cut down to size if you ask me. he really thinks the is something special. Apparently, part of Sutherland and Camerons development plan is to involve Sainsbury's as the anchor chain, and it is thought it will be more appealing to Sainsbury if there is no Asda in the way.

Sod Off Sutherland and Co!

Edited by SMEE

I'd be delighted to see ASDA in Sneck.......their pizzas and curries are far better than anything Tesco can offer.If however we can get a Sainsburys too, well their own brand Vindaloo is nothing short of superb.

I'm sure this info adds to the debate :D

Edited by Drochit Blue

For those who get through to the Group Selection of the interview, you get to build towers out of spagetti and marshmallows :D

Then if you get through to the 2nd part, you tidy the shelves :boldblue: