FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

England look the business

culduthel

Mentioned this before after their last victory that England really do look the business for the World Cup.

Found myself in the odd position of supporting their cricket team last month to win the ashes. Never done that in my life before for cricket anyway - great series.

Mind you I was supporting England in the World Cup final in 1966 against Germany - fantastic game. About the last time I found myself supporting their football team.

Feel very tempted to support them this time around and will have to face the ridicule and disbelief of all my English friends if I do.

Hmm. What to do? Anyone on here going to support England?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They play Brazil in a friendly here in Doha in November (most probably at Al Sadd's ground) - that should at least be a decent challenge and yardstick as to how good they may be if they each bring decent squads but more importantly - thankfully I am not in the UK at present as I should imagine the media are on their England will win the world cup crusade already - so only another 8 months of that to go.... :)

Al_Sadd.jpgAl_Sadd2.jpg

Re supporting them - nope - nothing against them but all too often they flatter to decieve - how often do you expect England with arguably one of the best squads in the world to perform better. I was at the Euro 2004 game in Lisbon when they blew it and although Capello appears to have strengthened their belief I still expect a repeat performance next summer. If they win it well done to them but they won't.... :022:

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

England are a QF / SF team when it comes to the World or any other tournament where it 'matters'. They are probably in a better position squad wise now than have been for years and I think Capello has them playing a lot better. They are still very shacky at the back and they will be exposed by better teams but they can score goals too. Whether the players will be up for the World Cup after a gruelling EPL/Euro season remains to be seen. After winning 5-1 the other night to make sure of qualification the players weren't exactly leaping for job. They gave me the impression of 'Oh sh1t, that's my Summer holidays gone out of the window'...it was in the body language as they came off the park. The biggest problem we are all going to suffer will be the continued and every present media hype about England winning in. Yaaaawn.

For years, England have had great players, but now that they have got a great manager they do look the business.

Going by form since Capello took over, they have perhaps become the best in Europe if not the world. Or am I believing the media hype?

But Steve McLaren remains a legend!

England have a chance in South Efffriiicccaa. They have a good squad of players and a very good manager. However, despite fantastic results aginst Croatia and the rest of their group, it's worth remembering that Spain beat them comfortably in a friendly not long ago. If England are to go beyond being a quarter-final team they will need to start beating the likes of France and Spain.

I must admit I'm quite surprised. Not at how well England are doing but by how sensible this thread is. I expected to read all the usual anti everything English drivel that normally gets posted on a Scottish board but was pleasantly surprised. That said school is still in at the moment, I'm sure it'll change later.

England as said are a QF/SF team but when you get to that stage anything can happen. They are playing with a belief that has missing for years. They still have a few players to come back to strengthen the side which will hopefully make tham stronger. Now obviously we can't tell if all will be fit next year but if they do manage to have a full strength squad I do think they will be there or there abouts come the end of the tournament. No that isn't me jumping on the all things England bandwagon, it's just being realistic that this will be the best chance they have had for years.

PS: Yes I'm English but I live in Scotland, support Scotland and as my wife says I'm a plastic jock. So this isn't the ravings of a do or die Englishman falling for all the hype.

As some have said, I think Spain or Holland could take England with fully fit squads.

Also, the Brazil friendly should be interesting.. :mellow:

Not forgetting Argentina. I actually think they're gonna win it next year. They too have a new manager, not just that but he is the best Argentinian footballer ever, so are going to be buzzing with belief and confidence.

Can't bring myself to support England though, after all the media hype that has been, and will be, driven into our heads about them over the next 8 months. Fair play to them if they do win it though, but I reallyhope they f*ck it up again.

As some have said, I think Spain or Holland could take England with fully fit squads.

Not forgetting Argentina. I actually think they're gonna win it next year. They too have a new manager, not just that but he is the best Argentinian footballer ever, so are going to be buzzing with belief and confidence.

Can't bring myself to support England though, after all the media hype that has been, and will be, driven into our heads about them over the next 8 months. Fair play to them if they do win it though, but I reallyhope they f*ck it up again.

Thats if Argentina actually qualify! They seen to be stuggling at the moment, just outside the pay-offs.

Thats if Argentina actually qualify! They seen to be stuggling at the moment, just outside the pay-offs.

They will. :)

And as things stand they are in the play offs, and would go into a 2 leg play off against Costa Rica.. Can't see them not getting through that.

There remaining fixtures are against Peru and Uraguay, so they will get 4 points out of that I would think and qualify comfortably.

Edited by ICTFCkev

Uruguay are only a point behind Argentina and have still to play them at home so its highly likely that Argentina wont qualify .

Argentina will have beaten Peru, and Ecuador beaten Uruguay, so the game won't have any significance with them already finishing 5th.

Uruguay are only a point behind Argentina and have still to play them at home so its highly likely that Argentina wont qualify .

Argentina will have beaten Peru, and Ecuador beaten Uruguay, so the game won't have any significance with them already finishing 5th.

If you say so Kev .

Fancy doing a Derren Brown and firing next weeks lotto numbers in my direction as well :mellow:

Tch....England are and always will be "also rans". They are not serious contenders for ANY of the major comps. In european terms....i think Holland, Spain, Italy, Portugal, France (normally), Russia and Germany are ahead of them. IN World terms....you have to add in the Likes of Brazil, Argentina.

And No....i will not be supporting them. Like Caley D, i will be giving my backing to whoever they play

"i will be giving my backing to whoever they play"

Sounds anti English to me

"I suppose i am racist and biggoted too eh?"

No that's DornachCaley's pleasure.

Don't get me wrong Smee, I don't expect you to be glued to the TV to support England but all this support anybody that plays England is so old hat and boring and a tad immature. :rolleyes: