FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

BBC Radio Scotland

TopSix

Hud oan. Is there really a prospect of P/T football or is it just gobsh*te? If true, why is this not the biggest, angriest thread going. Why is there not revolution in the air? If not true, why is a senior player stirring it? Is it me or does this club get worse by the day?

GET A GRIP FOLKS!!!

This thread is a 24 carat example of how to rush headlong in half a dozen oversensationalised steps from reports of a minor bump in the car park to the end of the world being imminent.

In this case some posters seem to have managed to create out of absolutely nothing a complete panic about part time football in Inverness which is totally without substance.

I could not hear [EDIT - in view of what I am about to say, I will change that to "listen to"] Wednesday night's programme since I was out of range south of the border but I did act as go between on behalf of the producer to get Ross on air as a studio guest.

I then spoke to Ross after the programme but had to phone him again a few minutes ago (he's currently on the team bus en route to Ayr) just to double check on account of the disbelief with which I read this thread.

It's as simple as this. There was a general discussion on the First Division hosted by Kenny MacIntyre who quite simply threw an off the cuff question to Ross about whether part time football would be in danger of happening at Inverness if they don't go back up this season. Ross VERY FIRMLY rejected this, emphasising that the club had been full time ever since it emerged from the Third Division in 1997. So what we are talking about here is an informed and commonsense response by ICT's most senior player with 492 appearances going back to the days of Telford Street to a question which is simply the kind of thing that interviewers ask in situations like this.

One thing worries me about radio and working in it and that is the apparent reluctance of people to LISTEN to what is being said rather than simply to HEAR the programme and then to make wild and unfounded extrapolations of what they imagine has been heard.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

My comment was a more general one about the lack of communication from the club since... well, ever. However, I do agree this discussion has got a bit alarmist and out of hand. The prospect of part-time football would be worrying and would be a big step backwards, but hopefully it's not something we would have to consider.

GET A GRIP FOLKS!!!

It's as simple as this. There was a general discussion on the First Division hosted by Kenny MacIntyre who quite simply threw an off the cuff question to Ross about whether part time football would be in danger of happening at Inverness if they don't go back up this season. Ross VERY FIRMLY rejected this, emphasising that the club had been full time ever since it emerged from the Third Division in 1997. So what we are talking about here is an informed and commonsense response by ICT's most senior player with 492 appearances going back to the days of Telford Street to a question which is simply the kind of thing that interviewers ask in situations like this.

Charles :

Just thinking a little bit more about this.

Don't you think that was a really stupid a question that your BBC colleague, Kenny MacIntyre put to one of the players?

From what you are saying Ross Tokely answered the question, as aptly and as appropiately as he possibly could.

I very much doubt that he, despite the fact that he is ICT's most senior player, could possibly know whether part time football was something that might be under consideration now, or perhaps at some point in the forseeable future?

Had MacIntyre's interview been with the chairman of the club, and maybe the director of football, his question might then have had some relevance.

GET A GRIP FOLKS!!!

Charles :

Just thinking a little bit more about this.

Don't you think that was a really stupid a question that your BBC colleague, Kenny MacIntyre put to one of the players?

From what you are saying Ross Tokely answered the question, as aptly and as appropiately as he possibly could.

I very much doubt that he, despite the fact that he is ICT's most senior player, could possibly know whether part time football was something that might be under consideration now, or perhaps at some point in the forseeable future?

Had MacIntyre's interview been with the chairman of the club, and maybe the director of football, his question might then have had some relevance.

Firstly let me apologise if this casused concern. When I created this thread to let people know that Ross was on the radio the question he was answering was about the possibility of ICT going part-time.

Ross replied that the club had taken steps to address the financial situation through cuts to the under 19s side and the first team.

Is this programme on the iPlayer Charles?

Sorry T6NY I don't know about that but I would also say that it would not be fair to shoot the messenger - ie yourself. It's the frantic extrapolation of your original post which causes concern. As to the validity of Kenny's question, there is nothing at all wrong about asking it. Stranger scenarios have emerged in Scottish football. However, given that Ross handled the question very well and authoritatively, and said a very definitive "NO", then if people had EITHER:-

* Listened properly OR

* Not having been tuned into the programme had declined to comment for that reason rather than rise to the bait of the next imagined ICT disaster....

Then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'll take the flak for this next thought on the chin if necesary, but the capacity of at least a faction of ICT fans to talk their club down when even an imagined opportunity arises quite frankly appals and amazes me.

So one then has to ask.... Is there possibly some kind of link between this mindset with its knock on to match days and home form which has been less than inspiring for quite a number of years now?

Take that as a middle of the road question, not a statement from me.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Sorry T6NY I don't know about that but I would also say that it would not be fair to shoot the messenger - ie yourself. It's the frantic extrapolation of your original post which causes concern. As to the validity of Kenny's question, there is nothing at all wrong about asking it. Stranger scenarios have emerged in Scottish football. However, given that Ross handled the question very well and authoritatively, and said a very definitive "NO", then if people had EITHER:-

* Listened properly OR

* Not having been tuned into the programme had declined to comment for that reason rather than rise to the bait of the next imagined ICT disaster....

Then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'll take the flak for this next thought on the chin if necesary, but the capacity of at least a faction of ICT fans to talk their club down when even an imagined opportunity arises quite frankly appals and amazes me.

So one then has to ask.... Is there possibly some kind of link between this mindset with its knock on to match days and home form which has been less than inspiring for quite a number of years now?

Take that as a middle of the road question, not a statement from me.

Thanks for the post Charles. Apologies to you if this has created any hassle for you. I've e-mailed the mods to ask for this thread to be closed.

From the thread title I assumed people would like to listen in. I did not set out to create controversy - i.e "Tokely talks about part time football"

I also agree with you about people talking the club down and the negative feeling at matches down at the bridge.

Roll on Ayr tomorrow!